Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Your favorite Handgun Caliber and why

This is a discussion on Your favorite Handgun Caliber and why within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; So, what is your favorite hand gun caliber and why. I own a few semi autos chambered in .25 acp, ...

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

Your favorite Handgun Caliber and why

So, what is your favorite hand gun caliber and why.

I own a few semi autos chambered in .25 acp, .32 acp, .380 acp, 9mm Para./Luger but I’m a revolver guy at heart. I have revolvers chambered in .22 LR, .22 Rem. Jet, .38 Colt, .38 S&W, .38 Spl., .357 Mag, .45 Colt Ctg., .44 Rem. Mag. and .44 S&W Special. I know I send more .22 LR rounds down range, by far, but it isn’t the round that makes me smile most.

My favorite caliber is the 100 plus year old .44 S&W Special. It is just plain fun to shoot a revolver specifically chambered in this fine old caliber. If you follow the path forged by Elmer Keith you can hand load the .44 Spl. to near .44 Rem. Mag. Ballistics. You can go the other way and replicate some of the Cowboy loads which if you shoot them late in the afternoon, with the sun behind you, you can see the slugs go down range and hit their target. The Smith & Wesson revolvers chambered specifically in .44 Spl. tend to have thinner barrels and lighter cylinders than the Smith & Wesson .44 Mags built on the same S&W N frame. So they pack a little easier with their lighter weight. With a decent holster my four inch Smith & Wesson .44 Spl. conceal well. For a fighting revolver the .44 Spl. is hard to beat. Toss .44 spl. rounds in a heavy Model 29 Smith & Wesson and it turns into a pussy cat that still packs a real punch.

Yeah, big heavy slow slugs are fun to send down range. I know many think of the .45 acp is the ultimate in a personal defense round but it won’t do anything a .44 Spl. can’t (yeah I know you get more of those .45 acp in a magazine than I can load in a revolver but that is a different discussion)

So for me it is the versatile, accurate, venerable old .44 S&W Special. My .44 spl. revolvers gives me perma grin when I shoot them.

My first Smith & Wesson .44 Spl. a 67 year old Transition Model hand ejector

Puffer Fish with some spikes shakinghorizons's Avatar

Re: Your favorite Handgun Caliber and why

My 2 favorite -

Personal Defense (concealed carry) - 357sig
    Duty - 45acp

No longer a community member.

.45 long is my favorite to shoot simply because of the blackhawk ruger my father let me shoot as a kid I loved that pistol. For a kid that pistol was awesome... Mainly .45 acp is what I use because of the HK USC/UMP conversion and HK45CT don't want a bunch of different ammo easy to reload etc... I try to keep my ammo within certain bounds am not going to have thousands of rounds of different kinds of ammo I just couldn't deal with that..
    Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 03-29-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Pelican you may be a wise man. Just the other day I was putting some boxes of 9mm and .22 LR s in the cabinet where I keep most of my ammo. What and unorganized mess it was. Stacks of this and that, even ammo in calibers for firearms long gone from my collection. I really need to reorganize the cabinet

A little off topic; but , I laughed yesterday at the news stories going on about Lanza and his 1500 rounds of ammo. Like that is some sort of crazy amount of ammo. I just bought two 550 round packs of Federal .22 LR shells and 5 boxes of 9mm FMJ cheap stuff and I'm light weight when it comes to buying ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokebill View Post
    Pelican you may be a wise man. Just the other day I was putting some boxes of 9mm and .22 LR s in the cabinet where I keep most of my ammo. What and unorganized mess it was. Stacks of this and that, even ammo in calibers for firearms long gone from my collection. I really need to reorganize the cabinet

A little off topic; but , I laughed yesterday at the news stories going on about Lanza and his 1500 rounds of ammo. Like that is some sort of crazy amount of ammo. I just bought two 550 round packs of Federal .22 LR shells and 5 boxes of 9mm FMJ cheap stuff and I'm light weight when it comes to buying ammo.
    I see firearms as tools and since I am a civilian I look at the ballistics etc what are soldiers carrying into battle around 300 rounds or so of ammo on a LBT type loadout.. So to me it isn't just simply having ammo you have to have a LBT plate carrier camel back night vision plates etc etc.. I don't want to carry 10 different kinds of ammo in my load out.. You can carry .50 or something on your ATV with a box of ammo but for a loadout few mags for the .45 and the rest are .308 mags (.223 for most)... I own a 9mm but I would never use it in the field etc... It just sits in my desk for the most part ( Don't have any kids and the desk locks )... I go through about 200 rnds of .45 per an hour using the HK's for practice.. So a thousand rounds is a nice stash of ammo.. I don't see anything wrong with having 10 thousand rounds of ammo etc... Its not really a big deal it is our duty as civilians to have enough gear to arm atleast 9 other people to make a nice squad.. We are bound as civilians to be heavily armed and trained in basic field tactics so we can be the best huntsmen we can be... I believe people abuse the right to a certain extent for example the reasons we have the right to firearms is for defense against a tyrannical government but how many ( excluding ex military ) know basic field communication or tactics... Most of these gun owners can barely practice essential safety etc.. So, what happens when a right is abused? My suggestion to firearm owners is get trained... Most don't know how to do basic tactics etc and 9 out of 10 everything isn't going to be as simple as standing in front of a target and firing there is going to be fear adrenaline confusion and moving none targets and moving targets... You will find the police are not even well trained ( no pun towards police, departments are of varying quality across the country and this is a blanket statement but alot of local police are not top notch )
    Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 03-29-2013 at 01:38 PM.

So that is my 2 cents it isn't really a civilian type subject at all with me.. It is a paramilitary / militia subject and if you don't have the gear for war then you are not up holding your responsibility as a citizen... I was in Katrina and I watched society fall apart in an instant after that I will never be the same again where police prayed off of people and people were killed over water... People may say that is a bit radical but that is my opinion about it and until you see how fragile everything is and how the good guys can become bad you won't understand...
    Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 03-29-2013 at 01:56 PM.

I love my Glock 21.
    THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Black 6's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CarnivorousPelican View Post
    .45 long is my favorite to shoot simply because of the blackhawk ruger my father let me shoot as a kid I loved that pistol. For a kid that pistol was awesome... Mainly .45 acp is what I use because of the HK USC/UMP conversion and HK45CT don't want a bunch of different ammo easy to reload etc... I try to keep my ammo within certain bounds am not going to have thousands of rounds of different kinds of ammo I just couldn't deal with that..
    I'm also fond of the .45 long colt. I carry a Bisley (old) Vaquero from time to time, and it's a dream to shoot. Unlike the new smaller frame Vaqueros, it eats +P without batting an eye. My main concerns all walk on 4 legs though. Obviously you don't want to get into a self defense situation with a single action, (unless you're as fast as Bob Munden).

As far as SD rounds, i love the performance of .357 mag, but that round is an absolute paint-peeler (especially indoors). my ears hate them.

King of All Puffer Fish KcJason1's Avatar

.50BMG... I'm just a BOSS like that!
    If you have to ask, It's probably fake!

King of All Puffer Fish KcJason1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    I love my Glock 21.
    GLOCK... Lol

XD>glock
    If you have to ask, It's probably fake!

Quote Originally Posted by KcJason1 View Post
    GLOCK... Lol

XD>glock

Personally for a full size I will take a HK45 Tactical or FNH Tactical ( but I don't have huge hands ) reason I didn't buy a FNH Tactical.. I think this comes down to personal preference to a certain degree from the XDM vs Glock debate... I have to be comfortable with a weapon in my hand or in the pocket etc... This is why I go with stuff like SCAR17S, HK45CT, HK USC/UMP I would go with Barrett w/ barrel springs only for precision 500+ yards wouldn't use a bolt action just killer ... Plus its a damn expensive round to be firing...
    Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 03-30-2013 at 05:48 AM.

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

favorite as in shoot the most and have the most handguns and rifles w/b the 22lr. take one along almost everyday we (my german shorthair) walk the 300 acres the farmer behind us has been kind enough to give us free run. never know when we might run into a coors light can or a ground hog.

Guns are tools for specific tasks, IMO. Without knowing the task, I can't offer up a favorite. Lots of guns in our rural neighborhood. Of the 7 houses on a 1/4 mile stretch of our road, I know of 40 guns in reliable hands. But I don't know what folks in 3 of those houses are packing, but they do hunt. Cousin's hubby casts his own lead for bullets. I think we'll weather most any apocalypse.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    I love my Glock 21.
    Ah the Glock, love'm or hate'm one thing you can say for Glocks they always go bang. They have all the charm of a Craftsman hammer but they do work.

My job allows me to handle lots of various firearms and honestly until recently I never thought of owning a striker fired, polymer frame wonder like a Glock or Springfield XD. I recently got to spend some time with the new Glock 30S .45acp and I'm thinking I could own one. It fit it my hand well with very good ergonomics, the trigger is decent, 10 plus one rounds of .45acp and it feels like it will carry well. The down side is it is a semi-auto and well a Glock but at my price point, maybe.

The few of you that put the .45 Colt Ctg (.45 LC) as your favorite; the .45 Colt also holds a special place for me. In the past I've owned a couple of Colt Single Action Armies, an Italian SAA clone, a Ruger Vaquero and the one I still have an old Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector. I also had a Uberti 1873 lever action chambered in .45 Colt. That gun was just plain fun to shoot. It wasn't to loud, didn't kick but it sure smacked things with authority. Yup sending big, heavy, slow slugs down range is lots of fun.

Here is an old .45 Colt Ctg. Smith & Wesson (made in 1927) I won't part with.

And the Uberti and Colt SAA both no longer owned

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast