Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

New Summer Carry

This is a discussion on New Summer Carry within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I just wanted to share my new summer carry solution with y'all. I finally bought a Springfield XDs in the ...

Disinterested

New Summer Carry

I just wanted to share my new summer carry solution with y'all. I finally bought a Springfield XDs in the only caliber I use, .45acp.

I've had the pleasure of shooting a few of them and they've all run flawlessly. It's super light, at 21oz and super compact. In fact, it's the world's smallest production 45. It runs everything under the sun, including my fluffy competition reloads and the recoil (or lack of it) is nothing short of astonishing in such a feather weight; extremely controllable. Even my 1911's didn't get upset when I brought it home!

Here ya go!

The take-up on the trigger is typical XD and pretty much sucks overall. It's likely going to get at least worked, if not put a whole new Powder River Precision kit in it.

That said, this is a great little gun and extraordinarily concealable.

Highly recommended!

Young Puffer Fish

Re: New Summer Carry

I was considering one of those, but I went the Glock route instead but I do three-gun tournaments and whatnot.
    But what kind of holster is that?

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    I just wanted to share my new summer carry solution with y'all. I finally bought a Springfield XDs in the only caliber I use, .45acp.

I've had the pleasure of shooting a few of them and they've all run flawlessly. It's super light, at 21oz and super compact. In fact, it's the world's smallest production 45. It runs everything under the sun, including my fluffy competition reloads and the recoil (or lack of it) is nothing short of astonishing in such a feather weight; extremely controllable. Even my 1911's didn't get upset when I brought it home!

Here ya go!

The take-up on the trigger is typical XD and pretty much sucks overall. It's likely going to get at least worked, if not put a whole new Powder River Precision kit in it.

That said, this is a great little gun and extraordinarily concealable.

Highly recommended!

Got one of these late last year. It's the first Springfield and the first 45 I have ever owned. I agree that the recoil is very manageable for such a small/light gun. The first thing I noticed was the sloppy trigger (especially compared to my Sig). Is the Powder River kit a spring replacement kit?

Disinterested

The holster was a cheap Tagua freebie from my friends at the gunshop. It's not bad and will tide me over nicely, at least until I can get something from someone like Tucker Gunleather. I will eventually get something I can tuck a shirt over.

Truly, a holster for this gun is optional. It's so small, it fits in about any large front trouser pocket. In fact, tactical trousers, such as Blackhawk, with the muzzle pouch, seem tailor made for it. With redundant safeties, there's really no need for a pocket holster.ATM, it's nestled nicely in the front pocket of my Old Navy jeans

Yeah, I'd never expecct any XD trigger to hold a candle to even a bad Sig trigger.

I am waiting to hear back from Dan at Powder River as to whether the comp trigger kit will work in the XDs, or not. If not, I will get his spring kit and tune it myself.

No longer a community member.

Congrats on the new purchase.

I carry a Glock 33 which is a subcompact 357 sig. I love them glocks.

I've always wanted to try a Springfield as they seem like the next best compared to the glocks I love.

I just can't seem to stop buying glocks though..............LOL

Puffer Fish with some spikes shakinghorizons's Avatar

When these first came out, I really wanted one. After playing with the trigger for a while, I just couldn't replace my m&p (9, 357sig, or 45)

No longer a community member.

May I suggest some holsters?

I just bought a Comp Tac MTAC (IWB) and I like it a lot.

Otherwise, Tim at TT gun leather does AWESOME work!

I bought my first ever custom made holster from him and I love it. It's an OWB holster but it's so nice.

Nice, nice workmanship and quality for the money.

TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters

If you don't see what you want on his page, call him and he will probably make it. I'd never hesitate to buy from him again.

Heres a picture of the holster I had Tim make me.

Disinterested

Thanks for the suggestions, Josh. I am familiar with these makers and have owned a couple of CompTac products. I have a dozen OWB's for my 1911s, but won't be going that route with this gun. I vastly prefer OWB for a few reasons. Not the least of which being that IWB sends my back into fits after a couple hours. If I spread the mass around, like with a Tucker "Answer", it makes a big difference. Trouble is, The Answer is just too much holster for this application.

Puffer Fish with some spikes A144's Avatar

Congrats on the new gun!

The XDs is in my top 4 choices for my first pistol and future carry gun. That, the S&W M&P Shield, Glock 26, and Kahr CM9/CW9.
    Growing old is compulsory, but growing up is optional.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

Sweet gun Don, I got the same one but in .40 cal last year. Haven't shot it a ton but really like the way it does shoot.
    Trigger work some time this year though.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Disinterested

Quote Originally Posted by dj1340 View Post
    Sweet gun Don, I got the same one but in .40 cal last year. Haven't shot it a ton but really like the way it does shoot.
    Trigger work some time this year though.

Actally, the 45 "s" is it's own animal. While there's a lot of up side, the down side is that it shares virtually no parts or internal configurations with the rest of the family. That means that my dream of the super-crisp and predictable PRP trigger kit has been dashed. Bad for me, but good for you, as I am 95% certain the competition trigger will work in your gun. Don't let the name concern you, since the kit only drops the pull weight to around 3.5-4lbs, which is still fine for carry, depending on your experience level and what you're used to. I've always carried 1911's and set my triggers to 3.5lbs.

What the PRP kit does do is make it a real trigger. It shortens take up and over travel and crisps up the break incredibly.

I love every XD I've ever carried.. XD service .45 to start and wound up with a XDM 3.8compact 9mm for everyday carry... I love shooting big guns but my 4 bad discs just don't like carrying them... I have 3 1911s in the closet that are weekly shooters but have never seen the inside of leather...

Young Puffer Fish

Very nice! Shot a rental XDs at the local range and was very impressed with how controllable it was for a sub-compact .45. I'm thinking that I may need to pick one up for when I'm not in the mood for my G27.