Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I've gone to the Dark Side...I bought a Glock

This is a discussion on I've gone to the Dark Side...I bought a Glock within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; ...

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

I've gone to the Dark Side...I bought a Glock

I've made a trip to the dark side... I've bought a Block. Over the years I've shoot a number of Glocks and can't say I really like a single one and that carries over to the other striker fire pistols. The Glocks just didn't fit my paws. I have kind of short fingers and the block like grip along with the grip angle made it a stretch just to reach the trigger properly. Then I had a chance to fire and work with a Glock 30S last winter. It has a shorten frame and slightly narrower slide than the standard Glock 30. Darn if it didn't fit my hand and point well. I had no problem getting my finger on the trigger properly and it shot very well. I really hate to say I kind of liked it.

Well to the point; I picked up a Glock 30SF .45acp as a carry gun. I can't say that is pretty, classy or cool. Itís a Glock. It doesn't have a nice crisp trigger like my revolvers or the 1911s I've owned. I do hit the target. Having 10+1 (maybe 9+1 is more accurate) of big fat, heavy .45 caliber slugs is pretty appealing. It is pretty much the Craftsman hammer of pistols. It ain't pretty, it is black plastic. It is good, and cheap, tool. I've got some Trijicon HD night sights coming to improve the sights for my old eyes. I may send it off to Robar for a little custom work like texturing the grip, rounding the trigger guard and adding some serrations on the front of the slide, maybe. I'll live with it awhile before that happens.

I only have one complaint with the Glock 30SF and that is that tenth round is a pretty darn hard to get in the magazine and it is hard to chamber that first round. Load the magazine with nine and there are no problems. I've been told that with a bit of break in on the magazine and that issue resolves itself. With more than 300 rounds down range over the last few weeks it is still a problem but it is getting easier to get that last round in the magazine.

One a scale of 1 to 100 I'll give the Glock 30SF a solid 92. It is a great tool even if has no soul. I picked up some Hornady Zombie Max just to have a box. Cor-Bon Self Defense 230 gr. ammo will live in this pistol.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Hubby's Avatar

Re: I've gone to the Dark Side...I bought a Glock

I agree... On the glock that i used to have i had to download it one... Mine never improved... They are good little guns and will get the job done everytime... I am still a smith and wesson fan boy, but with how hard it has been to get the 17 round magazine, as in i havent been able to find one for a decent price in like 6 months, i might have to buy a glock again! Enjoy the gun!
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci

Young Fish

Glocks are ugly as sin, but they will shoot 100% of the time. I own several and will probably add one or two more to my collection at some point. They go bang every time, accurately (ammo permitting).

I shot them for a decade in competition and have carried them at work as well. Not many other guns that I'd trust my life to, like I do my glock(s).

Do yourself a favor, grab a 3.5lb trigger connector and install it. Don't clean off the copper goo that is inside the gun right now, shoot the gun till it goes away. That goo helps break the gun in faster/better.

Welcome to the dark side!

I love my G23. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I got it several years ago for a carry weapon for a few reasons: (1) ergonomics - fit my hand like a glove, (2) LEOs everywhere use them (yes, I know price is part of the reason), (c) works every time, and (d) size/weight. Probably didn't hurt that one of my earlier trainers was a Glock man.

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Bruck View Post
    Welcome to the dark side!

I love my G23. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I got it several years ago for a carry weapon for a few reasons: (1) ergonomics - fit my hand like a glove, (2) LEOs everywhere use them (yes, I know price is part of the reason), (c) works every time, and (d) size/weight. Probably didn't hurt that one of my earlier trainers was a Glock man.
    While price is a concern, I'll tell ya..... You'll never see me with a Kel-Tec on duty.

I'll run a few more hundred rounds before cleaning the copper break in grease out.

As to the trigger, I haven't decided if I'll do much work there. The pull is a bit mushy and gritty but not to heavy for a carry firearm. It would be nice for the trigger break to be crisper but I feel at five pounds it is about right for a striker fire carry pistol.

I work with an ex Gunsite and Glock trained armorer. He likes the Ghost trigger connectors and tells me he can the trigger to break cleaner and keep the pull in the 5 lbs. range. After a few hundred more rounds I may let him tinker with the 30SF. A clean and crisp trigger adds control.

Of course there are those that say trigger mods could cause legal issue if your involved in a shooting and there is that consideration...I'm just not sure it is a concern of mine

Young Fish

Have never seen gunsmith work turned into a prosecution issue, if that was the case they could argue why someone used a high end tuned 1911 vs a milspec.

Congrats on the pickup. Not a glock man myself..but they make excellent guns Imo...just like any pistol..they're not for everyone.
    "I'm sure everything will be fine if we win, but if we start losing, I'm shooting." - Michael Jordan

Maturing Puffer Fish

Welcome to the dark side! Brickhouse guns. No fuss and no frills.

Young Fish

That's a great pickup! Congrats!

MMM PUFF PUFF

Quote Originally Posted by AznDragon533 View Post
    LOL...better check that news release date. Of course everyone else is building a 1911 clone these days; so, why not Glock.

Puffer Fish with many spikes tnlawyer's Avatar

You've made a wise choice. If you ever need to use it (and God forbid you do), you can rest assured that it will go BANG when you pull the trigger.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain

Maturing Puffer Fish .cigardude.'s Avatar

Congrats on the new toy.

I've got me one too....great reliable shooter.

Stranger ina strange land RTChallenger13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abcritt View Post
    Brickhouse guns. No fuss and no frills.
    I have to agree with this. I've owned 6 of them over the years and still keep one. For a tool, they're the plastic fantastic. I still prefer my Sigs but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Glock.
    No storm or heavy weather will rock the boat... the one who will be king, the watcher in the ring......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast