Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Deer Season About To Begin

This is a discussion on Another Deer Season About To Begin within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; With the 2013 Deer Hunting Season about to begin in many parts of the country, what are you taking into ...

Another Deer Season About To Begin

With the 2013 Deer Hunting Season about to begin in many parts of the country, what are you taking into the woods?

Me.... A Mossberg ATR in 30.06. I've had 2 and really like the rifle. Had to sell them, along with all my other guns as Life just happens sometimes, but it's on my list for the not too distant future.

Whitetails are the intended targets here in Georgia. With me not going the last 3 seasons for various reasons, I have some serious catching up to do. Also lucky in that wife loves the meat and I never get "the look" when I say "I'm going hunting".

What's your rifle or other weapon choice and the species you're going after?
    Dale

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

Re: Another Deer Season About To Begin

Damn Dale, glad to see on the forum!! 30-06 has always been my favorite gun even though I haven't hunted in quite awhile.
    I carried mine for many miles while in Alaska and never let me down. Shot as good as I could possibly shoot.
    Good luck with the season.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

I know Bro.... I need to get back into the mix on here. Still working and smoking like a freight train and doing generally well, I suppose. I hope all is well with you also.
    Dale

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

I gave up on my weapon of choice as I didnt want the smell of burnt powder in my living room. Last one I took was eating apples off the tree when I went to make my morning coffee. Walked to closet, took out bow, eased the window up real slow like and BAM! 30 yard neck shot. I was standing in my drawers and it was cold as hell out so I gathered him up later. This state is very overpopulated with deer. Restrictions too tight, season too short, and no matter where you look their are no hunting signs posted everywhere with deer standing behind them with their tongues stuck out at you! There are public hunting grounds but when the population is 1200/square mile what do you thing your chances of getting the one stupid deer in the county. Result it the highest rate of insurance claims for accidents involving deer. I get asked if I hunt deer, I say no, there is no hunting involved. Show up is the only requirement.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

What I do doesn't really qualify as hunting. I prefer to think of it as armed hiking
    Picked up a muzzle loader (50 cal Thompson Center cheapie) & got it pretty well sighted in today at the range. Thought I'd try the ML season this year.
    I normally walk around the woods resplendent in blaze orange with my 30-06 Remington 700 BDL (old school).

I also hunt rabbits with my bow.

This is one of my kills after I skinned it. Me and my truck get covered in blood when ever I go hunting, gotta love the Tailgate.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Young Puffer Fish

I'll be taking a 20ga. Mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel...as well as my 1911 loaded with 255gr. Buffalo Bore. I hunt from a tree stand and most of my shots have been well under 50 yards, with a few deer that have passed right under the stand. I'm hoping to get a chance to use the 1911 this year, but only if the opportunity presents itself. Otherwise 20 ga. slug it is!

Conscientious Objector Cardinal's Avatar

Hadn't hunted deer in years, but got a bow late last year and have been shooting every week or two since. My brother in law is the great Finder of Bargains, and he picked up a RedHead Kryptic somewhere for $150 and gave to me for that price. I lost and broke so many arrows at first that I switched to a Cabelas brand, and my groups are tight enough even out to 40 yards that I can't see what the double-priced arrows will do for me in my deer shooting range out to maybe 30-35 yards. I topped the arrows with G5 Striker 100 grain broadheads.

Took my first deer, a whitetail, with the bow last week at exactly 20 yards out of a ground blind. I was gripping so hard from the rush that I hit a couple inches back of the vitals but must have clipped an artery because she only went about 50 yards before folding up.

Definitely hooked on bow hunting, cannot wait to get back out.
    Death comes for us all, Oroku Saki, but something much worse comes for you. For when you die, it will be...without honor - Splinter

Disinterested

FNAR in .308 with a 1-6x30 FFP scope. At least that was my choice last year. Trouble is, the deer literally stop coming through my hunting patch about 3 days before rifle season starts and stay away for about 3 weeks after. Acorns dropped early and all over last year, which is what the old timers were blaming.

Anyway, I'm seriously thinking about a cross bow. I have a bad shoulder, so I can qualify to shoot crossbow in bow season and I like the idea that I can use it everywhere on the property, due to increased range and velocity. I also like the fact that they're dirt cheap, compared to a good rifle and I can use an optic I already own.

Leading Puffer Fish

I am taking a Sporter Remington 1903A3 in 30.06 shooting 165 grain and my Ruger Security Six .357 mag loaded with Buffalo Bore. If I can get one within 40 yds I feel confident with my old revolver that I can make an ethical shot. Last year was my first year deer hunting and passed on a small 6 point standing sideways at 75 yds. I just thought in a couple of years he would be a nice buck. I am not a serious hunter and have fun just getting out in the woods. If a doe comes along I will take her, otherwise will be holding out for a mature buck. We will see what happens. I have been doing a lot of shooting all year and feel confident in my weapons and my shooting out to 300 yds or so. But where I hunt more than likely if I get the opportunity it will be under 200.

I'm totally serious, dude B-daddy's Avatar

Started with the bow. Grand total of 6 hours. I'll switch to a CVA .50 cal muzzleloader for a week of deer camp first week of November here in VA. Then a Remington 7600 in .30-06 for a week of gun season in the UP of Michigan.

...the rivers will run red with blood.
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?" -- Steven Wright

Maturing Puffer Fish midnight warrior's Avatar

My good friends own timber valley fresh scents. If anyone is imterested in their products om me for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by B-daddy View Post
    Started with the bow. Grand total of 6 hours. I'll switch to a CVA .50 cal muzzleloader for a week of deer camp first week of November here in VA. Then a Remington 7600 in .30-06 for a week of gun season in the UP of Michigan.
    Where in the UP? I'm a half-breed yooper (mom was born in the UP, dad in the lower peninsula).

Quote Originally Posted by Kane R View Post

This is one of my kills after I skinned it. Me and my truck get covered in blood when ever I go hunting, gotta love the Tailgate.
    If you ever have a background check, I hope they don't find this picture of you

I'm totally serious, dude B-daddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruck View Post
    Where in the UP? I'm a half-breed yooper (mom was born in the UP, dad in the lower peninsula).
    No wonder you came out looking the way you did. I'll be in the Amasa, Crystal Falls, Iron River area; out by the Ottawa National Forest. Mostly drinking whiskey.
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?" -- Steven Wright

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast