Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

anyone here shoot IDPA or USPSA?

This is a discussion on anyone here shoot IDPA or USPSA? within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I have recently been looking into getting into action shooting. The local range i am a member of holds both ...

anyone here shoot IDPA or USPSA?

I have recently been looking into getting into action shooting. The local range i am a member of holds both IDPA and USPSA matches twice a month.

I have never shot competitively but it looks like a lot of fun.

I plan to start with either my Beretta 92FS (9mm) or possibly my Glock 30 (.45)

Any suggestions or advice?

Disinterested

Re: anyone here shoot IDPA or USPSA?

Hey Jonathan,

O man, I've been doing this stuff for YEARS! Yes, there is a LOT I could tell you, but the best advice, honestly, is just show up, with what you've got and let the good people who frequent your local matches guide you along. That's how I started, some... god... 30 years, or so, ago... and they are still, just as kind and giving. Just go... shoot what ya brung and have FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    Hey Jonathan,

O man, I've been doing this stuff for YEARS! Yes, there is a LOT I could tell you, but the best advice, honestly, is just show up, with what you've got and let the good people who frequent your local matches guide you along. That's how I started, some... god... 30 years, or so, ago... and they are still, just as kind and giving. Just go... shoot what ya brung and have FUN!
    That is what I was thinking. The action shooting community appears to be just as generous and helpful as the BOTL on puff.

I think I will have to pick up a holster and a few more mags for my Beretta next payday and just plan to go out on the first Sunday of the month and see where that takes me.

Hope you reload!
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Hope you reload!
    I was thinking that I was doing to need to start. Lol as of right now I only reload 30-06. But I am in the market for a carousel style system for my handgun ammo

Disinterested

More mags is always better. I take 14, loaded, but I shoot single stack 45. I don't care for reloading mags during matches. Do everything you can do during dry fire, which, as it turns out, is 95% of what we need to do to be effective with a handgun. Practice mag changes, sight picture, target acquisition and especially, trigger press. Remember, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Be purposeful and flow like water. Practice DOES NOT make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Don't practice your mistakes.

When it comes to match holsters, the cheap kydex stuff is your friend. It's fast and you don't care about rolling around the dirt in it, although there's virtually none of that. Just be sure it's adjustable to the extent you need and fits a good, solid 1-3/4 belt. The belt is the cornerstone and you can't get them stiff enough. I use a Wilderness Tactical Instructor belt, which works good, is well made and I can wear casually too.

More mags is always better. I take 14, loaded, but I shoot single stack 45. I don't care for reloading mags during matches. Do everything you can do during dry fire, which, as it turns out, is 95% of what we need to do to be effective with a handgun. Practice mag changes, sight picture, target acquisition and especially, trigger press. Remember, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Be purposeful and flow like water. Practice DOES NOT make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Don't practice your mistakes.

When it comes to match holsters, the cheap kydex stuff is your friend. It's fast and you don't care about rolling around the dirt in it, although there's virtually none of that. Just be sure it's adjustable to the extent you need and fits a good, solid 1-3/4 belt. The belt is the cornerstone and you can't get them stiff enough. I use a Wilderness Tactical Instructor belt, which works good, is well made and I can wear casually too.
    That is great info. I know that I really need to humble myself and relearn how to shoot handguns to get over all of the bad habits i have learned over the years. I have always been more of a Rifle and Shotgun shooter and never really worked on my handgun techniques.

thanks for suggesting a cheap holster because I was already looking at expensive stuff. but since I am not sure what I want to shoot right now I am sure I will end up changing my mind sometime soon. I love my Beretta 92 but it is heavy and only a 9mm and I absolutely hate my Glock 30 (.45) because it is so small i can barley get my pinkie on it even with an extension.

I always shot 1911 in stainless and the kydex holsters worked well. If you are worried about the finish of your weapon of choice, get a leather lined kydex holster like Kydex and Leather OWB Holster with Speed Cut | Silent Thunder Champion Holster or just a leather holster.
    OK, yes I do

Disinterested

I always shot 1911 in stainless and the kydex holsters worked well. If you are worried about the finish of your weapon of choice, get a leather lined kydex holster like Kydex and Leather OWB Holster with Speed Cut | Silent Thunder Champion Holster or just a leather holster.
    Did you know, I was the guy who designed that holster?

Just sayin'

Just sayin'
    Really? or should i update my photo in the dictionary under gullible?

Disinterested

No, I really did design that holster. Email Ron, he'll tell you.

No, I really did design that holster. Email Ron, he'll tell you.
    Well then I know what I will be buying.

Disinterested

Quote Originally Posted by AuTechCoM View Post
    Well then I know what I will be buying.
    Call him when you order and ask him why my attribution is no longer attached to it and why; why Don's no longer your, "gun guru"? LOL Tell him you know I designed it and that he oughta give credit where credit's due. You'll get his goad and be in for a long and probably funny conversation about what a CK SKR I am, but you'll enjoy it. He's a good dude.

Just sayin'
    Not sure of the story or the amount of holsters produced/sold but I hope you at least got a cigar out of the deal! I know I liked mine and as far as I know, it is still being used.
    OK, yes I do

Disinterested

Not sure of the story or the amount of holsters produced/sold but I hope you at least got a cigar out of the deal! I know I liked mine and as far as I know, it is still being used.
    Actually, Ron Garrett is a very fair and extremely generous person. He's probably given me a dozen pieces over the years. I just talked to him yesterday and his business is really bangin'. Mostly gubmint contract stuff, for agencies who "don't exist".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast