Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Knife sharpener recommendations

This is a discussion on Knife sharpener recommendations within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I'm looking for recommendations for knife sharpeners. I currently use a Tri-Hone with 3 different Arkansas stones. Is there something ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes Nature's Avatar

Knife sharpener recommendations

I'm looking for recommendations for knife sharpeners. I currently use a Tri-Hone with 3 different Arkansas stones. Is there something else you would recommend?

I want something to sharpen my carrying knives (pocket/ utility) as well as kitchen knives, fillet knives, and tools like hand-planer blades or chisels. Do I need different types for the different use blades? Or can one system handle all?
    May your burn line always be straight and the ash never fall in your lap.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Auburnguy's Avatar

Re: Knife sharpener recommendations

@Nature I use a Lansky sharpening system.
    Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B8IEA4..._e-Lzub1KNZKMS

It does an amazing job to get your knives edged properly. It has a short learning curve and it takes about 15-20 minutes to put a high quality edge on a blade. Several YouTube videos to show you the secrets. I sharpen all of my knives on it. I would also recommend buying a strop as well with some different compounds. I have a 4 sided leather strop with 4 colors of compound. My edge looks like a mirror when it is done and feathers paper with no problem. I freshen my blade on my carry knife weekly with a strop. 2 minutes on the leather and it is good to go.

Strop
    http://www.jreindustries.com/strops.htm

Puffer Fish with some spikes Will46r's Avatar

Get an Edge Pro clone from Amazon/Ebay then toss all their stones out and buy the Edge Pro gear. The guy that started Edge pro was a chef then a full time sharpener. Main reason for this suggestion is the planer blades, Lansky and it's cousins work well on blades but wouldn't use them on something like planers or chisels. Have you considered Grizzly's Tormak clone?

I personally sharpen knives on my variable speed belt grinder. I do salon shear sharpening, for that I run an Ookami Gold system.

I use a Tormek slow wet grinder for all my Lie-Nielsen planes, knives, chisels.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tormek-T-3-Coo...eywords=Tormek

I bought in to the Wicked Edge system, but it's not cheap. I had an Edge Pro, it does a good job too but I got tired of having to flip the knife. Just be careful, with both these systems you can take a lot of metal off your knife without too much effort; not much pressure is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburnguy View Post
    @Nature I use a Lansky sharpening system.
    Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B8IEA4..._e-Lzub1KNZKMS

It does an amazing job to get your knives edged properly. It has a short learning curve and it takes about 15-20 minutes to put a high quality edge on a blade. Several YouTube videos to show you the secrets. I sharpen all of my knives on it. I would also recommend buying a strop as well with some different compounds. I have a 4 sided leather strop with 4 colors of compound. My edge looks like a mirror when it is done and feathers paper with no problem. I freshen my blade on my carry knife weekly with a strop. 2 minutes on the leather and it is good to go.

Strop
    JRE-Strop Bats
    I have this as well. Works excellent.

I have a Lansky but never have liked it. Much easier for me to put the edges I like using a belt grinder. A lot of guys I know use Harbor Freight 1x30 belt sanders and buy quality belts for them. There's also felt or leather stropping belts for use if you want a highly polished edge.

Disinterested

I don't care what it is, or how good anyone is using it, but stropping is the single most important element to your edge. Period.

Sharpen twice a year and strop daily, or sharpen daily and don't strop. AND, the former gets you the vastly superior edge.

So to play fair, I use a Japanese water stone; 600/2000.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    I don't care what it is, or how good anyone is using it, but stropping is the single most important element to your edge. Period.

Sharpen twice a year and strop daily, or sharpen daily and don't strop. AND, the former gets you the vastly superior edge.

So to play fair, I use a Japanese water stone; 600/2000.
    This. I have a 2 sided stone and strop. I only use it on kitchen knives though.
    "If you don't know, now you know,......." -Biggie Smalls

Lansky system all the way for me. A friend at work showed me his about 10 years ago and there's no turning back. It's kind of a pain in the neck to use but it gives a professional edge every time.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Nature's Avatar

There are some great options here. Although I see benefits of the belt & wheel systems, they seem a bit more pricey than what I am needing or looking for. Besides, I kind of like the tactile sensation and aural stimulation from the rhythm of the more manual methods. I am definitely going to have to look at adding the strops!

Do you use different compounds with the strop?
    If so, is it best to use a different strop for each compound type?
    Do you even need compound?

Thanks for all of the input!
    May your burn line always be straight and the ash never fall in your lap.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Auburnguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nature View Post
    There are some great options here. Although I see benefits of the belt & wheel systems, they seem a bit more pricey than what I am needing or looking for. Besides, I kind of like the tactile sensation and aural stimulation from the rhythm of the more manual methods. I am definitely going to have to look at adding the strops!

Just get the strop that I linked. It is pre seasoned with 4 different compounds. I have stropped hundreds of times, and no need to add more compound yet.

Disinterested

Quote Originally Posted by Nature View Post

I've never used anything other than naked leather.

Well I often sharpen 5-10 knives at a time, course I make knives. I do use Jaoanese stones on chef's knives.

I have a leather belt with green rouge, and a leather wheel with white. The leather wheel is primarily used when I do stylist shears.
    Last edited by Will46r; 11-19-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish penna stogey's Avatar

LOts of options here. Good information for a couple of Benchmade and Case knives I procured.
    Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.