Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Reggie

Should i blue my old Winchester 30/30????

This is a discussion on Should i blue my old Winchester 30/30???? within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Howdy fellas i got a bit of a dilemma, i got me a old Winchester 30/30 from the 60s that ...

Young Fish

Question Should i blue my old Winchester 30/30????

Howdy fellas i got a bit of a dilemma, i got me a old Winchester 30/30 from the 60s that was given to my cousin Ty(if youre reading this thanks again buddy) but he didnt have room in his gun safes so he gave it to me

to make a long story short im wondering if i should let the bluing wear off or re-blue it i mean its a antique but i reckon i dont want it to rust away so what would you do? i might upload pics but im drunk and lazy hahaha

Re: Should i blue my old Winchester 30/30????

well if you are looking for resale never reblue. but if it is yours to keep maintain it however you want. I have 2 old Damascus barrel side by sides that one has been restored and one has not however neither will ever leave the family since they entered my family the late 1800's.

Just don't handle the firearm until you're sober.

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by NormH3 View Post
    Just don't handle the firearm until you're sober.

oh no hahaha i dont want to be the reason gun grabbers need to snatch up everyone's firearms and i dont even smoke weed the day before i go to my range hahaha im paranoid some dude might be sneaking on my land to hunt and gets shot by me on accident then when im drug tested they see a abnormal amount of thc and i make stoners look bad aswell

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by AuTechCoM View Post
    well if you are looking for resale never reblue. but if it is yours to keep maintain it however you want. I have 2 old Damascus barrel side by sides that one has been restored and one has not however neither will ever leave the family since they entered my family the late 1800's.

im not gonna sell it but i guess i wanted to see what you guys thought but i might reblue it just incase im caught in the rain when im hunting with it

I don't own any rifles...yet, but perhaps a good cleaning and a light coating of gun oil for protection while storing. Will look forward to a photo once you have reached your 30 posts.

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by NormH3 View Post
    I don't own any rifles...yet, but perhaps a good cleaning and a light coating of gun oil for protection while storing. Will look forward to a photo once you have reached your 30 posts.

oh yeah i forgot i need 30 posts to upload a pic and link :/

Not an expert by any stretch but what I've heard - if it's a pre-64, oil it up and leave it alone. Post-64, do what makes you happy including re-blue if you want.
    stoggie_sacrificer likes this.

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    Not an expert by any stretch but what I've heard - if it's a pre-64, oil it up and leave it alone. Post-64, do what makes you happy including re-blue if you want.

ah thank you i just oiled it up reckon ill leave it alone in case i hit rough waters financially i believe its a 1962

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

Tyler, I think you came to the right conclusion. This is more of a FYI post.

For the past ten years I've made my living in the collector firearms business taking photos of firearms.

Here goes.

You can get the year of manufacture here with a quick serial number check.

Winchester Dates of Manufacture

When it comes to refinishing a firearm, it is your firearm and doing it your business.

The downside is that the cost of refinish usually will and no value. Say your 94 is worth $500 and then you spend $300 or 400 doing a refinish. When do done it will still be a $500 gun provided the ruble was done properly. Most refinishes/reblues aren't do well. The local goonschmit hits it with the buffing wheel over polishing metal, toss it in the hot blue tank, sand the heck out of the stock and sprays it with who knows what finish and calls it done. There are only a few good gunsmiths in country I would trust with a proper refinish /restoration of a firearm. Most charge an arm and a leg. When they are finished the firearm will look like it did the day it left the factory and it would take a real expert to tell it was restored.

For Winchesters and Colts Doug Turnbull would be where I would send my guns and the only shop I would trust to get it right.

http://www.turnbullmfg.com

I much prefer an older gun with the patina of age that shows lots of use and good care.