Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

12 guage recommendations

This is a discussion on 12 guage recommendations within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Greetings. I am looking for some advice on purchasing a 12 guage. I have been getting into skeet and trap ...

Maturing Puffer Fish samiam2007's Avatar

12 guage recommendations

Greetings. I am looking for some advice on purchasing a 12 guage. I have been getting into skeet and trap shooting and would like to purchase my own instead of borrowing one. I also hunt turkey. So, it would be great to use one for both.

Any reccomendations?

Re: 12 guage recommendations

What length barrel are you used to? Remington 870 is what I have had for years and comes with two barrels... Also, you prefer pump, over/under or twin barrels(side by side)? Lastly, price matters?

Remington: $400
    Browning: $550
    Benelli: $580
    Mossberg: $400
    Weatherby: $399

Young Fish

What's your price range ?

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

Trap and skeet are two very different clay target games, with very different requirements, when it comes to shotguns. Skeet guns tend to have shorter barrels with very open chokes because your shooting at very fast targets at very different angles. It is a game of speed. It more replicates upland bird shooting where guns that come into play quickly are the norm. Oh and it shot with all gauges 12, 20, 28 and .410 so multiple guns or multi barrel sets are need to play the game correctly. Here specialized over under rule.

Trap your shooting at rising targets going away from you. Trap guns tend to be heavy with long barrels with tight chokes. They are often setup to pattern above your line of sights so you can float the target above the barrel instead of swinging through the target and shooting when you can no longer see the clay. Single barrel guns or combo guns(over under with an extra single barrel) rule the day here.

And we have sporting clays which again more replicates actual hunting. You walk a course where any number of target presentations might be seen. Think of it as shotgun golf. The best shotguns for this game tend to be a little heavy but configured more like a traditional game gun...lets call them jack of all trades with all the compromises that come with that type of tool. Most of the best guns are over/unders when it comes to sporting clays

If your looking for a gun to do it all a good semi auto or pump with interchangeable choke tubes might be a good place to start. Find what you really like and then buy more specialized shotguns to fit what you want to shoot.

I'll warn you shotguns are like cigars with a very steep slope. You are going to need the right tool for the job and there are lots of different shotgun jobs. Buy safe much larger than you think you will ever need. They like humidors fill quickly. Ask me how I know.

Maturing Puffer Fish samiam2007's Avatar

Thank you guys for the quick responses! Thank you slow poke for the detailed differences.

I was looking to not spend more than $1k. Normally, I prefer a single barrel automatic. I will spend more for better quality.

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

In that price range I would look for a decent used Benelli, Browning or Beretta semi auto with a 28 inch barrel and interchangeable choke tubes. No sense in buying new. Let some other person suck up the depreciation.

Totally agree with Bill!!! 1 grand will get you a high quality semi auto...

An Old Retired Wiseguy! JohnnyFlake's Avatar

I have shot both skeet & trap, in competition, for over 20 years. The best choice of shotgun, back then, is still the best choice today. Buy a Remington 1100 auto loader. Now days they cost in the area of $700.00 I bought mine with a 26" open barrel, which is perfect for skeet. I also purchased a 30" modified choke barrel for trap. A barrel cost about $200.00 now days. I would also suggest you purchase a complete, new, trigger housing assembly (they switch out is seconds, if needed). They also cost in the $200/$250 range. You'd be set for either skeet or trap! You can buy skeet & trap guns that cost upwards of $5000 but they don't shoot any better. In fact, most matches are/were won with shooters using Rem. 1100s.

Young Fish

IMHO nothing beats the reliability of Remington 870 for field work. I also shoot traps with it.