Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The CS "Guns" Thread

This is a discussion on The CS "Guns" Thread within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by daniel2001 I've never been able to get pump action shotguns, why not just use a semi-auto? Especially ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes Junior's Avatar

Re: The CS "Guns" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by daniel2001 View Post
    I've never been able to get pump action shotguns, why not just use a semi-auto? Especially if you want to be able to fire quickly, Berretta Xtrema 2 can fire 12 in less than 2 seconds and be shot one handed thanks to low recoil.
    It's a little bit more about intimidation. There is nothing scarier than racking a pump shot gun. It usually will make end the situation if not that is what the bottom gun is for. Plus the last time I checked an Extrema 2 (I also duck hunt) the were high dollar so I think I will stick with my Benelli Nova also less up keep with them if you drop one to the bottom of the lake you can pretty much take it out reload it and go back to work.
    "God Created Men But Sam Colt Made 'em Equal"

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I enjoy shooting a pump.

There is a rhythm with them I don't get with a SA. I don't think I could kill three ducks in 2 seconds, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Here are my home protection guns. The top one hangs over my closet.

Top one is a Mossberg 590 (Arnold) loaded 2 00 buck reduced recoil followed by 1 oz slug reduced recoil. This one was my anniversary gift from my wife this year.

Bottom one is a Double Star AR-15 (black beauty) with a Aimpoint ML2 loaded with 60 grain Hornady TAP 60 grn.

Yes I let my wife name my guns.

You can see other gun threads here I have posted in them before. One of them has my summer and winter carry guns. Seeing that XD reminds me I need to go in and order a subcompact 40 as a new summer gun.

fullolead I really like the slick cylinder 38 you got there.

(note to self, stay the "F" out of Junior's house)

i don't care if I'm invited!
    I crap Gurkhas

Quote Originally Posted by LSU_Stogie View Post
    How do you like the USP Compact? It's a gun i've always wanted and my 21st is creepin up...would this be sufficient for a personal defense in my car?
    i absolutely love that gun. it's a little more of a pricey polymer frame but it is dead on accurately and fits like a glove in my hand. i was looking at the sig P229 and the guy in the store said "hey before you buy that put this in your hand." that made up my mind. your welcome to come shoot it if you're ever out this way.

Here are my home protection guns. The top one hangs over my closet.

Top one is a Mossberg 590 (Arnold) loaded 2 00 buck reduced recoil followed by 1 oz slug reduced recoil. This one was my anniversary gift from my wife this year.

Bottom one is a Double Star AR-15 (black beauty) with a Aimpoint ML2 loaded with 60 grain Hornady TAP 60 grn.

Yes I let my wife name my guns.

You can see other gun threads here I have posted in them before. One of them has my summer and winter carry guns. Seeing that XD reminds me I need to go in and order a subcompact 40 as a new summer gun.

fullolead I really like the slick cylinder 38 you got there.

my exact *wishlist" home setup. actually had to sell my mossberg 500A w/ retactable stock for some cash. but gonna replace it with the tactical rem. 870 w 18" instead of 20" barrel.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Hoplophile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by n3uka View Post

I am going to hold off on posting pics of my toys as I don't like publicizing what I have.

I guess alot of us don't have to worry about someone breaking in and stealing our cigars
    Same here.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. - C.S. Lewis

It's a little bit more about intimidation. There is nothing scarier than racking a pump shot gun.
    I never bought into this theory... just sounds like movie inspired BS to me. I figure if someone is deranged/ stoned/stupid or heavily armed enough to break into my house while it's occupied, that sound probably won't intimidate them. But the thorax full of 00 buck sure will.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. - C.S. Lewis

yep...when i kept a shotgun for home defense i always kept one chambered. It's nothing for a criminal to just point towards the sound and start blasting. i'd rather them see the flashlight then BOOM!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrawf1 View Post
    yep...when i kept a shotgun for home defense i always kept one chambered. It's nothing for a criminal to just point towards the sound and start blasting. i'd rather them see the flashlight then BOOM!!!!
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplophile View Post
    I never bought into this theory... just sounds like movie inspired BS to me. I figure if someone is deranged/ stoned/stupid or heavily armed enough to break into my house while it's occupied, that sound probably won't intimidate them. But the thorax full of 00 buck sure will.
    I do buy into the 'rack the slide' theory, for this reason.

It gives me one "Last Clear Chance" to give a burgular a moment of pause.

Not every burgular is stoned, and it also helps, should it come to a jury, that you didn't have one in the chamber. I can hear the local prosecutor now... "Oh, I see, so you were WAITING to blow someone away..."

Only takes (literally) one second or less to rack the slide. It can take a year to explain to a jury why you already had one in the chamber.

[SIZE=2]"Following the path of least resistance is what makes rivers, and men, crooked."[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post

Not every burgular is stoned, and it also helps, should it come to a jury, that you didn't have one in the chamber. I can hear the local prosecutor now... "Oh, I see, so you were WAITING to blow someone away..."

Only takes (literally) one second or less to rack the slide. It can take a year to explain to a jury why you already had one in the chamber.
    as much as i hate the fact that you would have to explain yourself as to why you had one chambered in your own home for your own protection. i do appreciate you throwing out that logic bc i never thought of it that way. it does make sense.

Full grown Puffer Fish daniel2001's Avatar

It's a little bit more about intimidation. There is nothing scarier than racking a pump shot gun. It usually will make end the situation if not that is what the bottom gun is for. Plus the last time I checked an Extrema 2 (I also duck hunt) the were high dollar so I think I will stick with my Benelli Nova also less up keep with them if you drop one to the bottom of the lake you can pretty much take it out reload it and go back to work.
    You can chuck an Xtrema2 into a lake, take it out and it will fire just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARPwvW-knH4

Not factoring in the cost, what advantage does a pump have over a semi auto? I suppose one thing is that I'm thinking of the use in terms of clay shooting, so that's good old fashioned break action's (over/under's for me) and semi-auto's. Also don't forget that semi-auto's don't have to be expensive, Webley and Scott have a range that is pretty cheap.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form." Winston Churchill

Accuracy is key with this piece as it lacks stopping power. I use a custom load of habanero juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post

Your thoughts on the "Last Clear Chance" are valid. If time and circumstances permit, this is obviously preferable to immediately opening fire. However, this is best accomplished via an explicit verbal warning, and not by relying upon an assailant's interpretation of the sound. I agree that not every burglar is stoned, but I believe in preparing for the worst case scenario. An organized, rapid home invasion by multiple assailants, or a violent incursion by lit up meth freaks impervious to pain or reason, for example. These things do happen, and if I am suddenly awakened in the middle of the night, I figure I'm probably behind the curve with regard to reaction time, and that second may be critical.As far as the jury goes, while not being any kind of expert on these things, I think it could be easily explained that police officers routinely carry their guns with a round in the chamber, and that it is a normal practice. I would be interested in knowing if the issue regularly arises in these sorts of cases, and how defense counsel handle it. I really don't know.

Temp Ban for Rules Violation maddman's Avatar

I am probably not as paranoide as a should be about showing some of my guns but o well. If you can get past my dog i guess you worked for them.

SA 1911 Custom - Kimber Warrior - Colt Light Weight Commander - Kimber
    25th Aniversary SA MILL SPEC

What the heck here is my AR

And My Carry setup

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast