Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Calling all Iowa members!

This is a discussion on Calling all Iowa members! within the Iowa forums, part of the Members and Places to Smoke by Area category; Hey there fellow Iowan Puffers! I see that the Iowa part of this forum is more or less totally dead. ...

"The Cigar & Pipe Kid" donovanrichardson's Avatar

Calling all Iowa members!

Hey there fellow Iowan Puffers!

I see that the Iowa part of this forum is more or less totally dead. I would love to hear some feedback on cigar shops around Iowa and any lounges or herfs that are happening. I think all Iowa members would appreciate knowing where they can get some quality tobacco locally within Iowa as well as where they can meet up with any other fellow members to Herf sometime.

I'm pretty new around here and to cigar shops in Iowa so fill me in! I know about a few and the only one I have been to is David's Briar Shop at Merle Hay Mall in Des Moines. A pretty decent selection of cigars, a tad bit over MSRP but still not a bad place to go. They stocked Anejos and Opus during Christmas time so that is always a plus.

I'm looking forward to hearing from any and all Iowa members!

Re: Calling all Iowa members!

I am in SW rural Iowa. Work in Omaha, and SG Roi is just a few blocks from my job. Their prices are too rich for me, but I stop in and browse now and then. I order all of my gear and leaf from Cup O Joes, and so far I haven't made any mistakes. Can't argue with their selection and prices or the super fast shipping, even if I can gripe a little about the high shipping charges.

Great to hear from you brother! This location is quite close to me indeed!

Ole Crusty Spiked Fish tpharkman's Avatar

Unfortunately the best place to smoke cigars in Iowa is in Omaha. There is a list that Davids Briar Shoppe puts out of cigar friendly establishments or should I say patios in Des Moines. Check it out next time you happen to drop in.

I enjoy Cigarros in Omaha because I can bring what I want to smoke and avoid having to pay their ridiculous prices. Jakes Cigars and Spirits is pretty kewl as well. In Iowa, our Nazi like laws have devastated the opportunities for a public herf.
    Agnes, have you seen my Don Diegos?

Quote Originally Posted by tpharkman View Post
    Unfortunately the best place to smoke cigars in Iowa is in Omaha. There is a list that Davids Briar Shoppe puts out of cigar friendly establishments or should I say patios in Des Moines. Check it out next time you happen to drop in.

I enjoy Cigarros in Omaha because I can bring what I want to smoke and avoid having to pay their ridiculous prices. Jakes Cigars and Spirits is pretty kewl as well. In Iowa, our Nazi like laws have devastated the opportunities for a public herf.
    Thanks Thad! I was hoping you would stop over here and bump this thread! I know we have another pipe smoking brother from Ankeney I believe.

I'll check that out for sure next time I stop into David's. Hopefully stop there on my way to Iowa City in a couple weeks.

Yeah Iowa laws are definitely WAY too tight and are actually enforced quite hard. I didn't mind them before I was a cigar smoker but now it really bothers me that I can't even go to the public park and smoke if I wanted to! But oh well, what can you do.

Ole Crusty Spiked Fish tpharkman's Avatar

There were a couple of other guys that flashed through here over the last 12 months but they didn't end up posting that much.
    Agnes, have you seen my Don Diegos?

Righteously Bitchin' voiceoverguy's Avatar

I know I missed the boat by about a year on this thread, but I live in Des Moines, so let me give you the low-down of the "big three" in the capitol city -

1. Pars and Cigars - Best of the three IMHO. Widest selection of sticks - I always find something I like. Great smoking room open to customers (leather chairs, flat screen tv, BYOB). The only complaint I have is one of the guys that works there always throws a hissy-fit when I bring in a coupon. I'll get coupons in Cigar Aficionado, an event, or a special mailer and bring it in to redeem it. For some reason this guy seems like he thinks that I am 'putting him out' or somehow 'ripping him off' with my coupon (even though I'll always spend $50+ each time). Nonetheless, this place is my favorite B&M.

2. Davids Briar Shop - second best in town. Keep in mind, this is a store in a mall so you can't smoke inside. They have a somewhat limited selection, but a nice place. They have a great selection of accessories. Prices seem a little on the high side.

3. Cigar Source - My least favorite place. The prices here are much higher than the other two places in town (for example a Perdomo Squared Churchill here is $8.70 while it's $6.60 at Pars and Cigars), and the selection is less than Pars and Cigars (number 1 above). They have a smoking 'club' which you have to pay to be a member of ($100 initiation fee and then $55.00/mo after that). They have a decent selection of accessories, but they are overpriced, IMO. The two things that keep me away from this place are one, the last time I was there, the humidor smelled of mold. Two, the service is far from friendly. I have never felt welcome or appreciated at this store. I almost dread having to talk to the guy there (which is why I avoid this place).

So, for what it's worth, there's my two cents. Take it or leave it.

Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar

I am close to Cedar Rapids and don't know of any cigar stores. a few places have cabinet humidors, but the cigars are dried out and over priced. I would love to know about any good places in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area. Anyone? I'm lonely in Iowa!