Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Question for Sam regarding the O

This is a discussion on Question for Sam regarding the O within the Meet the Manufacturer forums, part of the Cigar Specialty Forums category; Your video said that I can ask questions... Now that I know you are the source, I will ask. Why ...

Young Puffer Fish kcmasterpiece's Avatar

Question for Sam regarding the O

Your video said that I can ask questions...

Now that I know you are the source, I will ask. Why did the Oliva get rid of the Velvet band? I like the band and women thought the band was kewl.

What was up with that?

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I'm guessing it cost a lot to produce. But I gotta agree they're purrrrty! I have some O Bolds in my humi that have the velvet band and I just stop and look at them every once in a while.

Full grown Puffer Fish earnold25-cl's Avatar

pics? i have no idea what ya'll are talkin' about

Full grown Puffer Fish burritosdaily's Avatar

I agree... the change actually threw me off... I do much better remembering stogies from the look of the band than I do the name. I was looking for that old label for a while before I realized what had happened. :mumbles:

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Maduro PiPs's Avatar

you're probably right....cost too high maybe... but here is what they looked like:

And remember that bad ass box they came in!!!?? awesome!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "WHO'S NEXT???"......LEGEND KILLER...No Need to Smack...the LK Record Speaks for itself!

Oh yeah...that box was sweet.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I got 9 cloth banded O Bolds on the way...and the box is coming with it. Can't wait! Thanks Cigar Merchant!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Sam Leccia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcmasterpiece View Post
    Your video said that I can ask questions...

Now that I know you are the source, I will ask. Why did the Oliva get rid of the Velvet band? I like the band and women thought the band was kewl.

What was up with that?
    This is a question that comes up every so often and it is easy to answer.

I think that some of our old packaging was abit ahead of it's time, or at the very least, ahead of our (Oliva's) time.

If you are familar with the Oliva line of old, then you would know that the Grand Camaroon, looked nothing like it's sister cigar the Grand Maduro, and the O classic, looked nothing like it's sister cigar the O maduro. In addition, the O Line looked nothing like the Grand Line...There was a lot of confusion with customers recogonizing that we make all 4 of these cigars, let alone the Flor de Oliva, and the Master Blends.

Much of the above was from listening to our fine retailers and consumers such as yourself. I can honestly say that we truly listen to what our customers have to say.

With that said:

We needed to give the line a facelift and streamline the packaging and build the OLIVA brand. That is the main reason for the change, and this was one of the best things we could have done, as we have OVER doubled our numbers and customer base since this streamline was introduced back in August. The addition of an in house sales force and aggresive advertising has also directly helped in this progress.

The OLIVA brand now is very strong, and easily recognized.

As far as price playing a factor, it really didn't. In fact the price of the O maduro came down because our cost came down. The boxes were also VERY heavy, and the shipping cost to our retailers was high due to that weight.

I appreciate the fact that you have been an Oliva customer since the silk bands, and I thank you for your support, but the truth of the matter is, if we wouldn't have made some of these changes, our line wouldn't be where it is today, or be headed in the direction that we are headed. In fact, I doubt that there would be 1/10 of the amount of posts on this site for example, if it weren't for some of these changes.

We are without a doubt one of the (if not THE) largest growing brands in the industry right now. I am excited to see where we will be 5 years from now.

Once again, I appreciate your continued support, and your questions, I do my best to give very opened and straight forward answers.

-Sam

Full grown Puffer Fish burritosdaily's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Leccia View Post

I think that some of our old packaging was abit ahead of it's time, or at the very least, ahead of our (Oliva's) time.

If you are familar with the Oliva line of old, then you would know that the Grand Camaroon, looked nothing like it's sister cigar the Grand Maduro, and the O classic, looked nothing like it's sister cigar the O maduro. In addition, the O Line looked nothing like the Grand Line...There was a lot of confusion with customers recogonizing that we make all 4 of these cigars, let alone the Flor de Oliva, and the Master Blends.

Much of the above was from listening to our fine retailers and consumers such as yourself. I can honestly say that we truly listen to what our customers have to say.

With that said:

We needed to give the line a facelift and streamline the packaging and build the OLIVA brand. That is the main reason for the change, and this was one of the best things we could have done, as we have OVER doubled our numbers and customer base since this streamline was introduced back in August. The addition of an in house sales force and aggresive advertising has also directly helped in this progress.

As far as price playing a factor, it really didn't. In fact the price of the O maduro came down because our cost came down. The boxes were also VERY heavy, and the shipping cost to our retailers was high due to that weight.

I appreciate the fact that you have been an Oliva customer since the silk bands, and I thank you for your support, but the truth of the matter is, if we wouldn't have made some of these changes, our line wouldn't be where it is today, or be headed in the direction that we are headed. In fact, I doubt that there would be 1/10 of the amount of posts on this site for example, if it weren't for some of these changes.

We are without a doubt one of the (if not THE) largest growing brands in the industry right now. I am excited to see where we will be 5 years from now.

Once again, I appreciate your continued support, and your questions, I do my best to give very opened and straight forward answers.

-Sam
    Sam - I totally understand... but, it would be fun to come out with a retro LE cigar that had the old label :eeek:

When Oliva put the cellophane on the cigars, I knew that the velvet band was going to disappear.

I just recieved a box of these last week!

Young Puffer Fish

--I think that some of our old packaging was abit ahead of it's time, or at the very least, ahead of our (Oliva's) time.....

-Sam
    Folks, I've only half-in-jest been trying to convince Sam (and now Jose Oliva) that their company needs to come up with yet another innovation in cigar banding: The cigar band made from tobacco, so that you can smoke right on through it without stopping! Wouldn't that be a hoot? oflmao:

Oliva's daft but gung-ho fan,
    Brian D.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    Folks, I've only half-in-jest been trying to convince Sam (and now Jose Oliva) that their company needs to come up with yet another innovation in cigar banding: The cigar band made from tobacco, so that you can smoke right on through it without stopping! Wouldn't that be a hoot? oflmao:

Oliva's daft but gung-ho fan,
    Brian D.
    That would be awesome!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader mhlatke's Avatar

With that said:

-Sam
    Makes perfect sense (but I sure am glad I have a few of those great boxes and bands in my collection!) - my wife even made some into a jewelry boxes. The 'O' was the one cigar she never complained about me buying - because of the box (lol).

No matter what the box or band, Oliva certainly makes some fine cigars and I thank you for that.
    "BADGES???....we don't need no stinkin' badges!"