Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HL Lancero a Disappointment

This is a discussion on HL Lancero a Disappointment within the Meet the Manufacturer forums, part of the Cigar Specialty Forums category; I am really sad to say that I have been disappointed in the HL Lancero. I was really looking forward ...

No longer a community member.

Unhappy HL Lancero a Disappointment

I am really sad to say that I have been disappointed in the HL Lancero. I was really looking forward to these because I have become a lancero fan and I enjoy the illusione regular line, so I figured I would like the MK and HL. Well the MK is wonderful, but the HL has just been a flat out disappointment everytime I've smoked it.

For me the flavors were just not really that enjoyable for a $9 cigar. I don't know if it was just the format (lancero) but I sort of just tasted that burnt dirt flavor that was very heavy. I also found that the finish was unpleasant and almost gritty dirt flavor that hung in my mouth. I'm not really sure why this was the case, but the flavors just were not something that I enjoyed.

All in all I think that I will be passing on the HL and sticking with the MK. I'm interested in hearing other opinions on the HL. But I think I have given them a fair shot, and I will just take a pass from now on.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes ctiicda's Avatar

Sounds like u gave them a fair go and if you don't like them then hey...am I understanding you correctly though that you like the illusione just not that size? I can agree with that , with that line some of them are better than others by a long shot IMHO.

Yea, I like the MK, 888, 88, CG4, f9, and 2.

I thought the HL was going to be right up there with the others, I just thought this one was a disappointment.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Stogie's Avatar

I still have not had the H1 but I did have the new ECCJ at the show this year and it has a big problem. When you Nub it the cigar becomes hot at the last 3/4". They need to make a pipe for it. I have one more that Collin Ganley gave me that I plan to smoke once they come out with the pipes for them.

For me the 68 and the ECCJ are still the top two but I have not tried them all yet. I went through a box of the 68's in about 1 month. I plan on ordering a box of ECCJ and noticed they come in 15 per box. Kinda different 15.

I'll have to give that one a shot, like I said 90% of the Illusione's are good, just this one vitola does not do it for me. I was curious to hear other opinions. Maybe they need rest, I'll let the rest I have sit and see what happens with time.
    I like the 15 per box, cool idea, rather than 27 or something like that.

Most of the Illusione's are great, and I look forward to the Cruzado that is coming out soon, was anyone able to try one of those at the show?

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Stogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baboruger View Post
    I'll have to give that one a shot, like I said 90% of the Illusione's are good, just this one vitola does not do it for me. I was curious to hear other opinions. Maybe they need rest, I'll let the rest I have sit and see what happens with time.
    I like the 15 per box, cool idea, rather than 27 or something like that.

Most of the Illusione's are great, and I look forward to the Cruzado that is coming out soon, was anyone able to try one of those at the show?
    I think John Rider picked up a Cruzado but it may have been an illusione. not sure.

I've only had one HL so far and it was at Dion's shop in Reno (Troy smoked the MK while there). I really liked it, myself. Sounds like you gave it a good try. Different strokes I guess, Brent.
    I quit drinking the Kool-Aid on 8/12/08.

I haven't found a lancero yet but really want to give it a try. I read where Dion said that it was the most difficult size to blend for. Anyways I'll let you know what I think. Isn't it great though that with cigars, you have so many varieties in size and taste? Even if you don't like one, assuming it's a reputable line, it will be someone else's favorite!
    "Come on, Old Man, I've smoked since I was 5. Mother insisted".........Gomez Adams

Soryy to hear that Brent. I haven't yet been able to try mine so they've simply been resting comfortably in thw walk-in. I have been looking at them evey time I go in there to hang out, and have been looking forward to the day I can have one. I hope it's not something that can't be cured with time as it would be a true disappointment to say the least!!!
    "Pool playing and stogie smokin' go together like O.J. Simpson and sharp cutlery," - Mr. Cigar

I have smoked a couple of them, and I thought they are very good. But yes they are young and a little age won't hurt. I liked them better then the F9 I smoked before. But a 2 that I had not to long agao was better. The 2 had some age on it has where the HL's are pretty fresh.

Never had the Hl, but I've had the ~2~ and it was pretty good.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by baboruger View Post
    I am really sad to say that I have been disappointed in the HL Lancero. I was really looking forward to these because I have become a lancero fan and I enjoy the illusione regular line, so I figured I would like the MK and HL. Well the MK is wonderful, but the HL has just been a flat out disappointment everytime I've smoked it.

For me the flavors were just not really that enjoyable for a $9 cigar. I don't know if it was just the format (lancero) but I sort of just tasted that burnt dirt flavor that was very heavy. I also found that the finish was unpleasant and almost gritty dirt flavor that hung in my mouth. I'm not really sure why this was the case, but the flavors just were not something that I enjoyed.

All in all I think that I will be passing on the HL and sticking with the MK. I'm interested in hearing other opinions on the HL. But I think I have given them a fair shot, and I will just take a pass from now on.
    This is good to know. It sounds like you gave it more than a fair shot and, it just wasn't to your liking. Now, the dirt flavor you get from the hl just hasn't presented itself to me. No biggie - I'll review more and see what I can do to ferret out this issue, all be it a small one in general. Thanks for your honesty.

Dion

Woah, how did you fit a ferret in a lancero?

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by sseagle View Post
    Woah, how did you fit a ferret in a lancero?
    One word - BLENDER!

It will blend!
    www.willitblend.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast