Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello from Ammodors ammo can cigar humidors! --- Official Thread ---

This is a discussion on Hello from Ammodors ammo can cigar humidors! --- Official Thread --- within the Meet the Manufacturer forums, part of the Cigar Specialty Forums category; ...

Hello from Ammodors ammo can cigar humidors! --- Official Thread ---

Just wanted to officially introduce our company, Ammodors to the Puff community. I'm here to answer any questions about our ammo can cigar humidors.

Ammodors are cigar humidors made from genuine US Military surplus metal ammunition cans. Every re-purposed Ammodor ammo box cigar humidor is custom assembled, by hand using beautiful Spanish Cedar lining.

Ammodor combat humidors are rugged enough to be tossed around during any outdoor adventure; while sexy enough to be the centerpiece of your office desk.

We believe in giving back to our Service members and their families. We are honored to bring Hope to the lives of our nation's heroes and their families by donating a portion of all proceeds to Hope For The WarriorsŪ.

Learn more at ammodors [dot] com

Puffer Fish with some spikes alexcue's Avatar

Re: Hello from Ammodors ammo can cigar humidors! --- Official Thread ---

That's a very nice looking product. Might have to look you guys up, when i go Hunting and fishing in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by alexcue View Post
    That's a very nice looking product. Might have to look you guys up, when i go Hunting and fishing in the fall.
    That would be awesome! Thanks

Full grown Puffer Fish OratorORourke's Avatar

Welcome to Puff Kevin! I believe I have stumbled across your products on Etsy. Although, I could be mistaken.

Great product. I do have a question for you, is there a reason that the top of the Ammodor is not lined with Spanish cedar as well? Thank you in advance for your response.

Chris

What's up Chris? Yep, that's me on Etsy.

Good question. Couple of reasons:

1. There is no way to attach it. My desire was to keep the materials as natural and organic as possible - and use no tape, glues or stinky adhesives. The way the ammo cans are built you'd have to use some sort of glue to get that piece to attach to the top/inside of the lid.
    2. The Xikar hygrometers and Cigar Mechanic humidifiers I use include a magnet backing which conveniently just magnetically attached to the metal inside of the lid.
    3. I didn't fell that it was technically needed and didn't really add any additional benefits considering the 4 sides and bottom are lined with cedar already.

All and all it was just a judgement call - it's something that definitely could be added by someone themselves or done on a custom order if requested.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by amm0d0rs View Post
    3. I didn't fell that it was technically needed and didn't really add any additional benefits considering the 4 sides and bottom are lined with cedar already.
    I think you guys are making an awesome product and I'd like to add my take on the lid not being lined. I noticed this as well when I visited your site but I quickly realized there was no difference between the lid not being lined and owning a glass-lid humidor. Honestly, your product probably gives a better seal that the cheaper glass-tops on the market anyhow! I plan on ordering one soon but I just can't decide which size I could use in the most versatile way (both at home, and possibly moved to the office now and again)

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    I noticed this as well when I visited your site but I quickly realized there was no difference between the lid not being lined and owning a glass-lid humidor.
    Very good point!

I plan on ordering one soon but I just can't decide which size I could use in the most versatile way (both at home, and possibly moved to the office now and again)
    We just added more detailed size specs to the "additional information" tab on all our product details pages - have had several people asking for BOTH interior and exterior dimensions...so that might help. We're coming out with larger sizes as well this Summer (based off the "Fat 50" ammo can and 40mm sizes). Don't forget we also do custom humidors using a variety of really cool military surplus shipping containers, chests, missile cases, etc if you're looking for something non-portable!

What's up Chris? Yep, that's me on Etsy.

Good question. Couple of reasons:

1. There is no way to attach it. My desire was to keep the materials as natural and organic as possible - and use no tape, glues or stinky adhesives. The way the ammo cans are built you'd have to use some sort of glue to get that piece to attach to the top/inside of the lid.
    2. The Xikar hygrometers and Cigar Mechanic humidifiers I use include a magnet backing which conveniently just magnetically attached to the metal inside of the lid.

All and all it was just a judgement call - it's something that definitely could be added by someone themselves or done on a custom order if requested.
    Thanks for the quick response Kevin. Totally makes sense and the lack of cedar on the top wouldn't prevent a purchase on my part. My question was based solely out of curiosity as my desire for one would be as a larger and much cooler option for a travel humidor. Currently when I travel, I seem to carry two 5ct herf-a-dors or a lock-tight style tupperware container with a Boveda pack in it (on longer trips) or a combination of those options. None of those options have any spanish cedar in them!

Very good point!

Don't forget we also do custom humidors using a variety of really cool military surplus shipping containers, chests, missile cases, etc if you're looking for something non-portable!
    Is there anywhere I can go to see pictures of something like this. You have seriously piqued my curiosity.

Is there anywhere I can go to see pictures of something like this. You have seriously piqued my curiosity.
    LOL yes! The one I'm building currently is using a 4' x 1' x 1' bomb container. It's huge, heavy and has tons of "wow" factor. I've lined it all with cedar, drilled a hole through for a digital/analog hygrometer, dividers, removable/sliding trays, hinged the lid, Boveda pack holders, etc - it's freaking rad. I'm done with construction except for the trays. Here are some informal pics I've taken during construction:

Hello from Ammodors ammo can cigar humidors! --- Official Thread ----img_1485.jpg

Hello from Ammodors ammo can cigar humidors! --- Official Thread ----img_1488.jpg

Hello from Ammodors ammo can cigar humidors! --- Official Thread ----img_1489.jpg

Hello from Ammodors ammo can cigar humidors! --- Official Thread ----img_1490.jpg

This particular bomb parts container was used to store the guidance kit for the Paveway II laser guided bomb (the very front tip of the missile that has the laser system). You can see it on display in this pic. The smaller portion at the top is the guidance parts shown separately - that's what this case held. You can see the whole bomb in the middle.

Hello from Ammodors ammo can cigar humidors! --- Official Thread ----800px-paveway_ii_p1230135.jpg

The Paveway II bomb has been used for the last 30 years or so and dropped from a bunch of aircraft like F/A-18, A-10, B-52, F-111, F-117, F-15, F- 16, F/A-18, etc. I actually have a neighbor buddy that is a former Top Gun pilot that has dropped them personally!

The possibilities for wicked large custom humidors using military surplus vessels with tons of history and character is nearly endless - from medical chests, storage lockers, shipping containers, wooden crates...you name it. Would be happy to send you some links to ideas if you're interested.

My client wants to be surprised so I haven't shown him ANY pics yet...hopefully he doesn't frequent Puff!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Would be happy to send you some links to ideas if you're interested.
    Link away- I am.

Link away- I am.
    PM sent!

Link away- I am.
    Same here Kevin. I would love to get some ideas! Please share.

Also, that bomb container is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by OratorORourke View Post
    Same here Kevin. I would love to get some ideas! Please share.

Also, that bomb container is amazing!
    Thanks for complement! PM sent as well!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Dhughes12's Avatar

Just curious. How much would it cost-ballpark is fine, for something like that missile crate? We recently had our offices wrecked by a tornado, but on the bright side I get to replace all my office furniture in the next few months. - might have to make one of these a fixture.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast