Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

St. Paul - Golden Leaf

This is a discussion on St. Paul - Golden Leaf within the Minnesota forums, part of the Members and Places to Smoke by Area category; Golden Leaf on W. 7th 277 7th Street West St. Paul, MN 55102 651-528-8676 I went in on friday 3-21-2008 ...

St. Paul - Golden Leaf

Golden Leaf on W. 7th
    277 7th Street West
    St. Paul, MN 55102

651-528-8676

I went in on friday 3-21-2008 bought a cigar, sat and smoked it for a while. It is open and I heard an opening event may happen will happen
    with in two weeks. About April 4 call them for details.

Re: St. Paul - Golden Leaf

It looks like the first event will be Perdomo on friday the 4 of april
    from 5:00 to 9:00

The low down on the event is there will be specials
    and live music

I have to say there will probably not be live music due to legal horsesh*t. i.e. smoking ban stuff but who knows they're working on it.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Bones's Avatar

I hope I can get out for it, but I don't think I will be able to.

I might watch Spike TV Beagle Boy's Avatar

Just an FYI - there is some sort of kids concert at the Xcel this Friday (Doodlebops or some such), so you might have to fight moms in minivans to find parking
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle Boy View Post
    Just an FYI - there is some sort of kids concert at the Xcel this Friday (Doodlebops or some such), so you might have to fight moms in minivans to find parking
    The concert is from 3:00pm to 6:30 pm. So I will get there at 7:00 and still have 2 hours of the perdomo event left and Golden leaf is open till
    10:00pm thanks for the heads up.

Puffer Fish with some spikes MNWanger's Avatar

If you find parking a bit of an issue, I would suggest parking in the DQ lot across the street and purchasing a beverage, making you a DQ patron, and allowing you to park there without any worries.

Definitely like their lounge area w/ the TV. And the view can be nice at times.

I stopped in this weekend, and I love the new store, very spacious. Word from Tim is that the local pipe club may have their meeting there in July(I believe the 22nd), and they will have Savinelli showing up, for those that are interested in that sort of thing.

Ashton event tonight 7/29 from 5-9P.m with live cuban music. Not sure if I'll be able to make it but it should be fun.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Lorglath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat1075 View Post
    Ashton event tonight 7/29 from 5-9P.m with live cuban music. Not sure if I'll be able to make it but it should be fun.
    Thanks for the news, I will try to come but the GF has me by the nuts tomorrow. I signed up for their e-mail address system there but have yet to get an e-mail from them, is there something I can do to rectify this?
    China Hutch Humidor Conversion - Thread - Vid 1 - Demonstration

there's been problems with the e-mail system lately I know that much sorry, other wise just keep checking the doings section of the webpage www.goldenleafsmokeshop.com. as to the other problem the ashton event is going on at the minneapolis store tomorrow for those of us who can't make it tonight.

Young Fish

It's funny the only post regarding this store...is from this store... a long time ago. To be honest, if you put this store somewhere else...it might have a chance. Unfortunately, it is where it is...and where it is...is not "where it's at". Average selection in a below average location. If you enjoy smoking alone, The Golden Leaf in St. Paul should be at the top of your list.

So just went here for the first time. I have been to the other location in Uptown. Well, I cannot say I would ever recommend this place. The selection was dismal, and when I say it was dismal they only had a few boxes of "regular" cigars you see everywhere. I have seen better selection at those discount cigarette place that do not specialize in cigars. I did find something to smoke to try out the lounge and such. The lounge areas were nice and I did like the sectioned off lounges so then you can smoke more in private if you wanted. They had adequate ventilation even in the small rooms. I liked the fact that you did not need to bring in your own beverage, they had a vending machine on site. All and All I would just stay away from here and go a mile or two away on Grand.

I will say this also, it did seem as though they are maybe geared to a pipe smoker. A lot more accessories and selection for them.

Newbie in the ocean Nicotine Sponge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattehh View Post
    So just went here for the first time. I have been to the other location in Uptown. Well, I cannot say I would ever recommend this place. The selection was dismal, and when I say it was dismal they only had a few boxes of "regular" cigars you see everywhere. I have seen better selection at those discount cigarette place that do not specialize in cigars. I did find something to smoke to try out the lounge and such. The lounge areas were nice and I did like the sectioned off lounges so then you can smoke more in private if you wanted. They had adequate ventilation even in the small rooms. I liked the fact that you did not need to bring in your own beverage, they had a vending machine on site. All and All I would just stay away from here and go a mile or two away on Grand.

I will say this also, it did seem as though they are maybe geared to a pipe smoker. A lot more accessories and selection for them.

Matt, this problem appears to have been addressed -- The Golden Leaf store on St. Paul has reduced the size of their humidor but INCREASED the size of their stock. The old humidor was just too big, and now it's fine, with a much bigger selection of good cigars. I was in there the other day, and it's night and day compared to what it was just a month ago. Pretty good selection, not an enormous amount of facings, but stuff like Tatuaje, Illusione, Rocky Patel, Fuente, R&J, Oliva, Perdomo, Ashton, etc. Most of the basics. And now a much bigger selection of pipe tobacco as well.

One of the guys who works there said they'll be having a grand re-opening later in June, probably, with live music and stuff. He also said the owner appears to have worked out some issues with his partner and now the store is linked directly to the Minneapolis store in terms of operation, so now their stock selection won't get so thin.

I really like the place, but stopped going because their selection was too thin. But now I'll probably go back more often. I like the open space at their St. Paul Golden Leaf, especially the good ventilation. I like Stogies on Grand a lot, but it's so ridiculously smoky in there all the time; even when I go in just to buy a cigar and leave (five minutes later), I reek for the rest of the day.

Anywho, that's just a heads up.
    Last edited by Nicotine Sponge; 06-06-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: information