Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

So what instrument do you play?

This is a discussion on So what instrument do you play? within the Music forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I play the guitar now, just for fun and entertainment mainly. Played the clarinet thru high school but gave that ...

Re: So what instrument do you play?

I play the guitar now, just for fun and entertainment mainly.
    Played the clarinet thru high school but gave that up-guitar proved to be much better for meeting girls!
    & I tinkle on the piano once in a while

Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar

When you say you "tinkle" on the piano -- could you be a bit more specific? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruck View Post
    I play the guitar now, just for fun and entertainment mainly.
    Played the clarinet thru high school but gave that up-guitar proved to be much better for meeting girls!
    & I tinkle on the piano once in a while

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman.54 View Post
    When you say you "tinkle" on the piano -- could you be a bit more specific? :-)
    JK LOL, "plinking" would be more apt

Removed per request

I started on the guitar when I was 8. It was the mid 80's, and I just knew that someday I was going to be as cool as John Cougar Mellencamp. 3 years later, it was time to pick an instrument for 6th grade music class - I said "hey, I'm practically a rock star already, drums would be pretty cool" but they told me I couldn't play drums. "OK, Huey Lewis has a saxophone in his band and he gets all sorts of tail, I'll play sax" but then they said I couldn't play sax. I was getting pretty frustrated at this point, so when I found out that the teacher really wanted me to play trombone, I said "F that, if I don't get what I want, she's not getting what she wants". I ended up playing trumpet, and actually stayed with it all the way through high school. Lead trumpet in the marching band wasn't what I'd envisioned myself being 10 years earlier when I first picked up the guitar, but it did have it's perks.

I still strum around on the acoustic 6 string. I'm not great but I can carry a tune, and if everyone else is completely hammered they tend to think I sound pretty good.

Just so I can say I'm proficient in something I bought a cowbell today. LMAO.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    Just so I can say I'm proficient in something I bought a cowbell today. LMAO.
    Tobacco is a dirty weed. I like it.

Number one son had the cowbell over his ear whilst whacking it with a stick earlier, that video is totally relevant. LMAO.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by JABECmfg View Post
    ... and I just knew that someday I was going to be as cool as John Cougar Mellencamp.....
    Congratulations, you are now as cool as John Cougar Mellencamp.

Removed per request

Quote Originally Posted by Bruck View Post
    Congratulations, you are now as cool as John Cougar Mellencamp.

yeah... it's all downhill from here, isn't it...

recently took up electric bass. i'm old so it's taking a while to learn. on top of coming from a percussion background, i'm sorta having a hard time with it. any "bass for dummies"-type tutorials anybody recommends?
    Let no man pull you low enough to hate him. ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar

Don't know about "Bass for dummies" -- but are thinking in notes or paterns? If you are thinking in notes (as I play this note -- then that note -- then that note) you are slowing your hands down way too much. Each song has a certain pattern-- or patterns -- that repeat over and over throughout the song. Work on learning the pattern -- and once you do your fingers will automatically play it -- freeing your mind to communicate more with the other players involved. The percussion background should take care of the timing issue and you should be good-to-go. At least that what works for me.

Michael

Young Puffer Fish

Having a percussion background helps out with every other aspect of music. I know that keeping time and playing rhythms comes naturally, so I can focus more on intonation. My favorite little test to see if I'm still able to keep time is to play a song on the radio, sing/hum/etc with it, and then cut the volume. Keep humming/singing/etc and then bring the volume back and see if I'm on or not.

As for learning bass, like bluesman.54 said, learn the different patterns. Bass is easy once you pick up on the patterns. And, as always, practice practice practice. I have terrible practice habits and it shows

right on guys, thanks for the tips. never thought of the patterns aspect.
    Let no man pull you low enough to hate him. ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Drummer here. Started off on a walmart first act brand set (which today still shames me, damn those cheap parents) started working with my uncle at an art production company at 15.5, work permit and all. Was making big bucks, in a two weeks time frame I had earned around a $900 check. At this point I was playing guitar and it was either a really nice half stack... or that beautiful Pearl drumset. I took the leap and got the drums! And the rest is history! Joined band class in highschool 9th grade in the hopes of learning to read notes only to find out they all had taken the class where you learn to read music in middle school. So the teacher just let me chill in my seat and do nothing most of the time. Then I played the timphonie and bells in one of the songs that we played during a show... real basic stuff.

As of now the Pearl was sold. I bought myself the Pdp x7 kit made by Dw, all maple shells and I love them to death.

I still can't read music but everyone seems to think I'm a good drummer although any true musician knows there is always room for improvement.

Trombone Player here.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast