Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 107 of 122 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 1824

Archive: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself)

This is a discussion on Archive: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself) within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Welcome to the forum Peter. Keep reading the wealth of knowledge contained within these forums and ask any questions you ...

pipe smokin' duck hunter Hendu3270's Avatar

Re: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself)

Welcome to the forum Peter. Keep reading the wealth of knowledge contained within these forums and ask any questions you may have and you be a pro in no time

Newbie in the ocean

Hi, I'm brand new to this forum and have yet to try a pipe, but will be ordering everything I need to get started shortly.

I'm a contractor who just left Iraq after two years and I now find myself in Afghanistan. Cigars are extremely popular among the soldiers and contractors in both places and I found that I enjoy the social aspect of hanging out and smoking cigars in the evening, except for the small fact that I don't enjoy smoking them myself. I would just end up sitting, not smoking and BSing. I just could never really get into the taste of them.

Last week I ran into a guy smoking a pipe (first time I've seen anyone smoking one over here) and of course it smelled great. We talked for a while and he said he was in the same boat as me as far as cigar smoking went. He says he enjoys the pipe very much and says the pipe tobacco is not as harsh as cigars.

I've decided I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes. I'm going to start with a MM cob, cleaners, a tool, zippo and a package each of Captain Black and Prince Albert.

After I get enough posts I will join the new member sampler thread and try see what like. I have absolutely no idea what tobacco will be for me...I feel a little lost and would love to visit a B&M to look around. I'm pretty sure I will enjoy a milder tobacco at first and while I don't need a heavy aromatic smell (and after reading this forum I understand most don't taste as they smell), I would definately want something which smells and tastes better than cigars.

I do have to admit that I am a little afraid of what may happen if I enjoy this hobby....Some of the estate pipe posted in the forum are beautiful. I really like the look of the smooth finish pipes and could see myself getting a little carried away.

Thanks for all the great information!!!

Puffer Fish with many spikes Hambone1's Avatar

Welcome to Puff John and Peter! There are many a friendly folk here to help you along your way. Just pull up a chair and enjoy. Post whatever questions you might have and I'm sure we will try to help you out!
    Puffers will push you down the slippery slope of PAD/TAD! Get out while you can!

Welcome everyone!

Newbie in the ocean small towner's Avatar

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. I joined 'Club Stogie' back in '08, but was so overwhelmed with info, that I never really posted. A couple of weeks ago I decided to to try pipe smoking, and now have been overwhelmed with trying to read up on this great hobby.

After reading several posts, I decided on a couple of Cobs and also picked up a pouch of Captain Black and Prince Albert. I mainly wanted the CB because it brings back fond memories of deer camp and the guy that smokes it religiously!

So far I'm enjoying the hobby for what it is, and am trying to find tobaccos that can bridge the gap between cigars and pipes a little better. I enjoy the baccy I have, but find it light and airy (if that makes sense). Anyway, I have a sampler of English blends on the way, and cant wait to try them.

Hopefully I'll feel comfortable enough to post more than I have in the past after diving down this slope.

Take Care.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Welcome, st! You'll find tons of info here and lots of friendly folks. Don't be shy to post. I've never known a forum as welcoming to new members as the pipe side of Puff.

Trying some English blends is a good idea if you are coming over from cigars. Also, give a few Virginias a try as well as a Lakeland or two (something from Gawith & Hoggarth would be a good place to start) and perhaps something with some strong African leaf like Irish Flake.

Also, the Newbie Pipe Trade is excellent. You'll get lots of great tobacco to try for the cost of a single tin or two.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by small towner View Post
    . . . I enjoy the baccy I have, but find it light and airy (if that makes sense). . .
    Man, small towner, this post sounds exactly like mine a few weeks ago. Mine was Captain Black and 1-Q, and I found both too light and airy as well, as I was used to the more up-front taste and volume of smoke that comes with cigars.

The two that have satisfied me so far are (i) Balkan Supreme (but really anything with a lot of Latakia will probably do), and (ii) the Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake (FVF). That'll take right good care of you, I promise...

Have fun here, but watch for bombs. . .
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Newbie in the ocean small towner's Avatar

Thanks Probate!

I will definately give your recomendations a try! I pulled my order from Pipes and Cigars, (ordered their H&H U-pick 'em Sampler)...I have Larry's Blend, Daybreak, AJ's VaPer, Ambassadors, American Heritage, and House of Lords coming within a day or so.

I realize not all are English blends, but I tried to get a variation so I could experience multiple combinations.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Post Re: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself)

Hello fellow BOTL's,

I needed another tobacco forum like a hole in the head. My wallet is empty, so don't get any ideas! HeHe...

I first picked up a pipe when I was 17. It didn't last long. A couple years ago I decided to give it another go. So to add to the almost full coolidor and humidor of cigars, I have been picking up pipes here and there. And of course anything I could smoke out of them. I have only picked up a couple new pipes, most are estate ebay finds. I am still on the lookout for some more new ones that I can add my own ghosts to.

So that's my into. Nice to be here.

ETA - Some Faves so far. Penzance, SH, Gordon Pym, JFH-Shortcut to Mushrooms, Butera Royal Vintage Blended Flake, and McClelland RSVP "invitation"(Yet to try the Lane RLP-6 though).
    Last edited by bullofspadez; 07-26-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Adding

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tan18_01's Avatar

Hi Guys,

Now I'm thinking about trying out this pipe stuff that everyone here is talking about.
    I love my tobacco products (cigarettes/cigars) so I think I'll probably end up picking pipes up but I'm not 100% sure yet.

I've read the pipe FAQ a few times now and it seems a bit complex, but I'm willing to learn.
    So now I'm in search of a vendor who will ship internationally for a cob and some tobacco.
    Maybe I should venture into the NST for pipes, but I fear I am beyond noob haha.

Maturing Puffer Fish brotherwilliam3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tan18_01 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Maybe I should venture into the NST for pipes, but I fear I am beyond noob haha.
    Matt if you are new to the pipe I am sure you are qualified for the NST

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote Originally Posted by brotherwilliam3 View Post
    Matt if you are new to the pipe I am sure you are qualified for the NST
    Not only that, Matt, we had an Aussie who I know is a fine BOTL (and SOTL) sign up as an EPS. What timing!
    It was.....well, let's just say it was.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tan18_01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by owaindav View Post
    Not only that, Matt, we had an Aussie who I know is a fine BOTL (and SOTL) sign up as an EPS. What timing!
    Haha, yes I saw Warren do that.
    I would feel bad, because he already christened me to puff in the cigar NST, but I will definitely give it some thought.

Young Fish

Howdy all!

My name is basil and I'm from Toronto Canada.

Been smoking the occasional cigar for the past year or so but just bought my first pipe on Monday July 25.

I bought a brigham voyageur and a house blend called smoking 965.

I made my purchases from smokin cigar on a whim. I went to see what I could get in a cigar but ended up with a pipe.

So far I've smoked it twice and must say I'm in love.

Both times it lasted more than an hour and only had 2 or 3 lights.

The tobacco was pretty good in my opinion but then again I've never tried anything else so who knows!

As for the pipe I enjoy it a lot.

I would love to read all I can about the different tobaccos and see what to pick up next!

Puffer Fish with some spikes logos's Avatar

Hey Everyone,

I am not new to puff, but I am new to the Pipe Corner...so I wanted to introduce myself again.

I smoked my first cigar last summer and I quickly fell down that slippery slope. I have since developed a deep love with Padron and have gotten my self a beautiful Waxing Moon humidor. About 6 months into my new-found cigar obsession, I was given an entry level Savinelli pipe. I thought it was cool and actually smoked it the first night I had it, but quickly stashed it away and keep puffing on my cigars.

So I was with a group of friends 2 weeks ago and all of them had just bought pipes. I brought along one of my Padrons to enjoy that night, but after the night was over, my interest was piqued.

In the last 2 weeks I have brought my pipe back out and have been smoking it about every other evening. I am quickly falling for the enjoyment and lure of pipe smoking.

So that's it...I will be around asking the newbie pipe questions...

Thank you to those of yall who take time to help us learn from your wisdom