Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 112 of 122 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 1824

Archive: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself)

This is a discussion on Archive: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself) within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Picked up a pouch??? of Prince Albert and am enjoying a bowl right now. It's quite mild compared to the ...

Newbie in the ocean

Re: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself)

Picked up a pouch??? of Prince Albert and am enjoying a bowl right now. It's quite mild compared to the other tobaccos I have smoked but so far I haven't had anything I didn't like. Going to go by the local cigar shop tomorrow and see what they have. Only a few days left in out wonderful country for a while so after this I will be relegated to internet orders.

Btw, what do you call it, a pouch? Pack? of tobacco? I know it comes in tins but this definitely doesn't qualify as a tin.

picked up pips when i got into cigars, gust got myself a mershon pipe and am loving it
    I am Dyslexic as crap; Sorry if you cant understand what I'm saying. This message transcribed by Zogg for your viewing pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert6401 View Post
    Picked up a pouch??? of Prince Albert and am enjoying a bowl right now. It's quite mild compared to the other tobaccos I have smoked but so far I haven't had anything I didn't like. Going to go by the local cigar shop tomorrow and see what they have. Only a few days left in out wonderful country for a while so after this I will be relegated to internet orders.

Btw, what do you call it, a pouch? Pack? of tobacco? I know it comes in tins but this definitely doesn't qualify as a tin.

Comes in plastic "tubs" or the pouch. Definitely a basic, mild burley. No fancy smoking there, for sure! Glad you liked it. One of my "go to" smokes, sort of a "no worries" tobacco. Easy to pack, light and keep lit. Not too offensive a room note. Cheaper than most, at least by the tub, and readily available. Mixes well with other tobaccos, too, so if there's something that's a bit overwhelming on its own, half and half with PA can make it tolerable -- or even good!

Might even be able to pick some up at a PX, if they still carry tobacco products. Should be dirt cheap there. I remember buying a carton of Winstons for $1.25, back when it would have been a whopping $2.50 at the drug store!

Good luck, Bob! Keep us up on the situation when you can!

Good luck
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Newbie in the ocean

Yep, got the Prince Albert and the Captain Black at the PX. The PA was I think $3.25 for a pouch - for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert6401 View Post
    Yep, got the Prince Albert and the Captain Black at the PX. The PA was I think $3.25 for a pouch - for reference.
    Yep. See it's $6.29 at 4noggins! (Wasn't it just 5 something not long back?)
    Did they have tubs of stuff? Just curious how they run a PX these days of tobacco persecution.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Newbie in the ocean

Yes , they still have tubs of the more common OTC brands. I know tobacco is becoming very unpopular in the mainstream but it is still very common in the army. My personal opinion is that most guys feel like they live a dangerous lifestyle by being in the army so bad habits such as tobacco use isn't going to hurt them as much as a bullet.

Well I'm new to the world of smoking entirely. I grew up in a non smoking family and most of my friends who do smoke, smoke cigarettes. I have been fascinated by pipes since I first saw a childhood mentor light up. I remember the beautiful smell and the care he took in lighting it. I have come to discover that many of the great men through history that I hold deep respect for, found smoking a pipe a way to relax and channel their thoughts.

With all this in mind I've taken the plunge and bought a beginners kit from RANDY'S TOBACCO SHOP. I am excited to soon light up!

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texaspipeman View Post
    Well I'm new to the world of smoking entirely. I grew up in a non smoking family and most of my friends who do smoke, smoke cigarettes. I have been fascinated by pipes since I first saw a childhood mentor light up. I remember the beautiful smell and the care he took in lighting it. I have come to discover that many of the great men through history that I hold deep respect for, found smoking a pipe a way to relax and channel their thoughts.

With all this in mind I've taken the plunge and bought a beginners kit from RANDY'S TOBACCO SHOP. I am excited to soon light up!
    Welcome, from a displaced Texas Cajun! As you continue with your "plunge", I will pass along to you the advice I gleaned from a very good gentleman on this forum, the veritable "freestoke" (aka Jim), word for word, as this instruction led me to my first perfect bowl. He was responding to a noob like me who was having trouble with his first attempts (not to imply that you'll have any ). The only point I would add is that you should not neglect to let your tobacco dry out a good 30 minutes to an hour or so prior to loading, depending on your choice of blend. Good luck, and here is Jim's advice:

"My guess is the pack is still too tight. Just to be sure I'm right about this, I am right now smoking a cob with a pure "gravity fill". Put the tobacco in the pipe and only the tap the side of the pipe to let the tobacco settle into the bowl -- NO packing at all. Fill it to the top, do not pack at all. The first light will completely go from wall to wall and after smoothing the surface (no NOT pack it down), relight. Once again, the ember should go from wall to wall. Once it's going, tamp it down ever so slightly, but not a lot, maybe 1/3 to a 1/2 into the bowl. There will be very little resistance to this tamp. Continue smoking with frequent, very light tamps. This bowl will last no longer than 15 minutes, probably less, because there's very little tobacco in there and it will burn rather quickly too.

Now try another bowl starting with the gravity fill. On top of the gravity fill, put a little mound of tobacco on top of the bowl and push it down evenly without your thumb entering the bowl. Push the edges of the little pile toward the center and get the whole mound (more or less) into the bowl without pushing down past the rim of the bowl. Now go through the same procedure as above. With more tobacco, you might be up to 20 minutes or so. Increasing the size of the mound will put more tobacco in the bowl and get to a max of about 30 minutes, which is what a cob lasts for me for loose cuts, but I'm a very light packer anyhow. It'll last longer with flakes, but that's a slightly different ball game.

You're gradually leading up to a Frank fill with this.
    "

I've thanked Jim too many times for this simple post, but I mean it every time. Enjoy!

Thanks for passing along this great advice. I've been watching videos on tamping with conflicting views. The advice you presented seems like a very smart way to get a light started. Again, thanks!

Hi guys, just wanted to say hi in this side of Puff. I just decided to venture into the world of pipes. I was hanging out at my local B&M and some how ended up walking out with a new pipe and 2 oz of Da Vinci to get me started. I know this is going to be another fun slope to fall down. Now the hardest decision is when to light a cigar or a bowl in the pipe.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Love the of color of your new pipe, Alex. Please let us know what you think of the da Vinci.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    Love the of color of your new pipe, Alex. Please let us know what you think of the da Vinci.
    Thanks. I got this pipe because it just caught my eye. The bad part is that I am already looking for a pipe rack and more pipes. I hope this slope isn't as bad as the cigar slope.

I like Da Vinci its a nice smooth and tasty smoke.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

Hey new guys!!! Welcome to Puff Pipe!

The slope is as wild as the cigar slope...but much more exciting...IMHO!

Be sure to check out the newbie pipe sampler trade...
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

hi guys, noobie smoker here. Smoked cigars for a good 10 years and just recently (like 2 weeks) switched to pipe. I have a question, why do some pipe tobacco smell like chewing tobacco? I got macbaren's plumcake because everyone online seemed to love it but when i opened the can the smell reminded me of dip... Anyway, if you have any advice for a noob let me know!

Hello everyone. I am a newer pipe smoker but feel fairly confident in my knowledge as I dove head first into the pipe world trying to gain as much knowledge as I could. I bought and sold pipes for a while but now I have a rotation of about 12 pipes and a cellar of around 50 blends or so. Not alot compared to some but it should last me for a long while as I smoke cigars regularly as well. That said, I still have more to learn haha. I just enjoy learning about the history of companies, pipes, blends, etc. I look forward to getting to know many of you as well as hopefully trading and bombing some tobacco around. Thanks for listening to my rant.