Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 113 of 122 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 1824

Archive: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself)

This is a discussion on Archive: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself) within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I've never posted on here. I'm Kyle. I restore, collect, and of course SMOKE my pipes. Love it! Was a ...

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Re: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself)

I've never posted on here. I'm Kyle. I restore, collect, and of course SMOKE my pipes. Love it! Was a cigar guy at first, and still enjoy them. But probably more of a pipe puffer now.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    I've never posted on here. I'm Kyle. I restore, collect, and of course SMOKE my pipes. Love it! Was a cigar guy at first, and still enjoy them. But probably more of a pipe puffer now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
    Hello everyone. I am a newer pipe smoker but feel fairly confident in my knowledge as I dove head first into the pipe world trying to gain as much knowledge as I could. I bought and sold pipes for a while but now I have a rotation of about 12 pipes and a cellar of around 50 blends or so. Not alot compared to some but it should last me for a long while as I smoke cigars regularly as well. That said, I still have more to learn haha. I just enjoy learning about the history of companies, pipes, blends, etc. I look forward to getting to know many of you as well as hopefully trading and bombing some tobacco around. Thanks for listening to my rant.
    Quote Originally Posted by pipinho View Post
    hi guys, noobie smoker here. Smoked cigars for a good 10 years and just recently (like 2 weeks) switched to pipe. I have a question, why do some pipe tobacco smell like chewing tobacco? I got macbaren's plumcake because everyone online seemed to love it but when i opened the can the smell reminded me of dip... Anyway, if you have any advice for a noob let me know!
    Welcome guys...the Pipe side is great! Hang out for awhile and help us get to know you if brand new!
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

Leading Puffer Fish

Welcome Benjamin and William! Kyle, I would say welcome to you, but you have been around here longer than I... but what the heck

hi guys, noobie smoker here. Smoked cigars for a good 10 years and just recently (like 2 weeks) switched to pipe. I have a question, why do some pipe tobacco smell like chewing tobacco? I got macbaren's plumcake because everyone online seemed to love it but when i opened the can the smell reminded me of dip... Anyway, if you have any advice for a noob let me know!
    Not too knowledgeable about chew/snuff and so forth, but they are made out of the same thing as pipe tobacco after all! Indeed, a century ago, there wasn't always that large a distinction made between smokable tobacco and chewing tobacco. You tore a piece off the plug and broke it up a bit to put it in a pipe or just chewed the sucker right off and kept on chewing. You could get it already broken up, but it was more expensive.

Cigarettes generally are unflavored except those with menthol and basically are mild burley. Pipe tobaccos, even those that are considered non-aromatics, are flavored with all sorts of stuff, although that flavoring might be fairly subtle and not intrude much on the tobacco taste when smoked. Figs, raisins, rum, plums, chocolate and the like are common background aromas from the "casings", flavored extracts put on them during the curing process. Aromatics usually have some flavoring sprayed on them while they are being prepared to put in the can, but flakes and cakes and rolls often have a sweet casing put on them before being pressed, steamed, baked, and so forth. Burley tobaccos like in cigarettes contain little sugar, so not a lot happens when you age them, but the Virginias found in most high grade pipe tobacco are naturally sugary and ferment as they age, so long as they are moist. Sugared casings help this along with added "fuel" for the fermentation and keep them from drying out. This fermentation process can produce a lot of different "fruity" smells, even without flavorings.

Anyhow, welcome! Disclaimer: Don't take this answer as "definitive"! It was just off the top of my head and may well be inaccurate on some points.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    Welcome Benjamin and William! Kyle, I would say welcome to you, but you have been around here longer than I... but what the heck
    Hahaha, appreciated! And welcome to you, in that case

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

yea i've been lurking here for about two weeks before i registered lol. Even learned how to restore an estate pipe! (well "restore" is a relative term hahaha, i don't have a buffing wheel but hey my friend who is also a pipe smoker actually wanted to buy the pipe i "cleaned up" from me!)

yea i've been lurking here for about two weeks before i registered lol. Even learned how to restore an estate pipe! (well "restore" is a relative term hahaha, i don't have a buffing wheel but hey my friend who is also a pipe smoker actually wanted to buy the pipe i "cleaned up" from me!)
    Well good!! If you decide to do another and you have any questions, I better see some posts from you in my restoration thread!!

↓↓↓↓↓↓
    http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/genera...ered-here.html

You can still purchase plug tobaccos like mentioned above. They are great fun as they are diverse but boy do they pack a dose of vitamin N. They have been known to knock me on my arse haha. Just be sure to dry out the part you plan to smoke before loading your pipe as they tend to be very wet and will not be a good smoke, in my opinion, unless dried out extensively.

What's going on guys? I have always been a cigar guy but on Thursday, I went to our local monthly pipe club at a B&M (they let me smoke cigars with them while they smoke their pipes). I have never been interested in pipes before but a guy I was sitting next to was smoking "Odyssey" and it smelt so good that I purchased a pipe and wanted to smoke it. Hahaha. When I turned around, that guy had left and the B&M didn't sell the stuff!!! I was devastated! One of the guys got me 2 oz bag of "House of Lords" which is supposed to be close to do this "Odyssey" stuff. It's pretty good!

Anyway, I am loving this pipe! I don't know anything about it but I love it. The guys started showing me stuff and some tips and tricks - quickly falling in love!

I'm glad to see this side of the forum and looking forward to all of the info I'll gain from you Experts!
    I may be foolish but at least I do it with enthusiasim!

Quote Originally Posted by bwhite220 View Post
    What's going on guys? I have always been a cigar guy but on Thursday, I went to our local monthly pipe club at a B&M (they let me smoke cigars with them while they smoke their pipes). I have never been interested in pipes before but a guy I was sitting next to was smoking "Odyssey" and it smelt so good that I purchased a pipe and wanted to smoke it. Hahaha. When I turned around, that guy had left and the B&M didn't sell the stuff!!! I was devastated! One of the guys got me 2 oz bag of "House of Lords" which is supposed to be close to do this "Odyssey" stuff. It's pretty good!

Anyway, I am loving this pipe! I don't know anything about it but I love it. The guys started showing me stuff and some tips and tricks - quickly falling in love!

I'm glad to see this side of the forum and looking forward to all of the info I'll gain from you Experts!
    Welcome welcome!! Pipes are tons of fun to get started with. Get in on the newbie pipe trade, you might be able to request someone with the Odyssey blend you were looking for!!

No longer a community member.

Brandon- I used to love House of Lords when I smoked latakia all the time. You should look into getting a hearth and home sampler from Pipesandcigars.com and try some more of their English blends (Victorian Stroll, Daybreak, Sunjammer, Admiralty etc.) in addition to the newbie pipe trade, of course.

Newbie in the ocean

Good Morning! I just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself to the pipe smokers of Puff. My name is Larry and I hail from Indian Trail, NC, just a bit south of Charlotte.

I gave up cigarettes many years ago for cigars, and now find myself attracted back to the old pipe smoking hobby of 25 years ago. I have just started rebuilding my pipe selection with 3 MM cobs and 3 briars: a Savinelli, a Cassano, and a Wessex. All seem to be pretty good smokers.

I find that there are days I prefer the contemplative pipe over the cigar, although I still very much enjoy both.

I have been amazed at how things have changed in the 25+ years since I last smoked a pipe. The resources now are amazing! Pipes, tobacco, and any accessory you can name available at a click! A far cry from either the drug store blends or a 45 minute drive to Tinder Box!

Hence my dilemma.....in the old days, tobacco selection was limited...now it is mind-boggling. I have found a few that I really like. Frog Morton on the Bayou is good. McCranie's Hellsgate I like even better......and I have found that a 50/50 blend of Prince Albert and McCranie's Balkan Supreme just makes me want to light another bowl, it's so good! The Straight Balkan Supreme seemed a bit stout for me at this point, but blending it off with PA worked rather nicely).

Would our forum members have any other recommendations for "middle of the road" (strengthwise) Balkans I should try? Also, who should I see on-line for the best deals on estate pipes? I would like to fill out my collection a bit more.

Have a good day folks!

Larry
    aka dryflydoc

Quote Originally Posted by dryflydoc View Post
    Would our forum members have any other recommendations for "middle of the road" (strengthwise) Balkans I should try? Also, who should I see on-line for the best deals on estate pipes? I would like to fill out my collection a bit more.

Have a good day folks!

Larry
    aka dryflydoc
    Hey Larry! Good to see ya here. I can't offer a whole lot of advice on Balkan tobaccos but when it comes to estate pipes, the first place you need to look is Pulver's Briar. Marty is a great guy. He has some really high level (read: high price) estates but on his "specials" page, he always has a few $50ish pipes that are really great deals.

Newbie in the ocean

Thanks, I'll check him out!

Welcome all!!
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!