Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 120 of 122 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 1824

Archive: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself)

This is a discussion on Archive: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself) within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hey pipers, after years in the cigar forum admiring that beautiful smell from the pipe section I finally made my ...

Re: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself)

Hey pipers, after years in the cigar forum admiring that beautiful smell from the pipe section I finally made my way over here. I just bought my first corn cob I'm looking forward to trying it out. Any advice on what tobacco to buy (maybe a nice sampler) and where to get it would be appreciated. Thanks
    This is my signature!

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmunkee View Post
    Hey pipers, after years in the cigar forum admiring that beautiful smell from the pipe section I finally made my way over here. I just bought my first corn cob I'm looking forward to trying it out. Any advice on what tobacco to buy (maybe a nice sampler) and where to get it would be appreciated. Thanks
    I'll be the first to say use the Newbie Pipe Trade. You send one tin to an experienced pipe smoker and they send you samples of a bunch of different tobaccos. Request someone with lots of aromatics if you're looking for smell. Or tell them whatever else you're looking to try out! Anyway, welcome!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Hannibal's Avatar

Hello all!

I'll take a second to introduce myself and then we'll go from there. I'm not going to say I'm totally new, in the sense of the word, but I've got a lot to learn. I have around 12 pipes that I used to like to smoke from various makers. I think what turned me off was the not knowing the correct way to pack, tamp, light and enjoy. Although there was some enjoyment I usually ended up with tongue bite or a very sour taste and got turned off quickly. What pains me is to look over and see my babies just sitting in my display case begging to be smoked. So I thought I'd venture over here and see what I can learn. Its been probably 4-5 years sense any of them have been fired up and I think the time has come. So hopefully you'll allow my noobish questions as I try to get back into really enjoying my pipes.

First and really big question I need to find the answer to is how would I go about cleaning/re-seasoning my pipes in order to start enjoying them again? But I guess for that I should probably start a new thread....

Anyway I'm Jeff and I'm looking forward to opening back up the world of pipes. Not saying I'm giving up on my cigars just opening up a new/old door.....
    My Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/hannibal
    Proud to have served 1988-2000 U.S. Army!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    First and really big question I need to find the answer to is how would I go about cleaning/re-seasoning my pipes in order to start enjoying them again? But I guess for that I should probably start a new thread....
    Welcome, Hannibal! There are actually quite a few threads dealing with cleaning up a pipe. Might want to run down this one for a few pages. http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/genera...ered-here.html Cleaning up your old pipes would be identical to restoring an estate pipe, one would think, just not as hard. Yours shouldn't be all that bad.

Google "salt treatment pipes" and you'll find some directions on how to do that. Actually, I'm betting you don't have to do more than run an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner through them a few times and crank 'em up!
    Last edited by freestoke; 11-13-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Leading Puffer Fish

Hello all!

I'll take a second to introduce myself and then we'll go from there. I'm not going to say I'm totally new, in the sense of the word, but I've got a lot to learn. I have around 12 pipes that I used to like to smoke from various makers. I think what turned me off was the not knowing the correct way to pack, tamp, light and enjoy. Although there was some enjoyment I usually ended up with tongue bite or a very sour taste and got turned off quickly. What pains me is to look over and see my babies just sitting in my display case begging to be smoked. So I thought I'd venture over here and see what I can learn. Its been probably 4-5 years sense any of them have been fired up and I think the time has come. So hopefully you'll allow my noobish questions as I try to get back into really enjoying my pipes.

Anyway I'm Jeff and I'm looking forward to opening back up the world of pipes. Not saying I'm giving up on my cigars just opening up a new/old door.....
    Welcome! I agree with Jim, on just running a alcohol soaked pipe cleaner down the stem, and maybe making sure there isn't too much dust in the bowl, and you are probably good to go. I see no real need to do a restoration on them, after they were your pipes so there is no worry about germs... and I am guessing there probably isn't an overabundance of cake built up in the bowl... so just make sure there are no obstructions in the airway and you should be fine.
    Join us for the Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: May's blend is Dunhill's Nightcap. Post reviews and join the discussion here.

I think what turned me off was the not knowing the correct way to pack, tamp, light and enjoy. Although there was some enjoyment I usually ended up with tongue bite or a very sour taste and got turned off quickly.
    Jeff, what kind of tobacco were you trying to smoke back in the day? A lot of pipe newbies (myself included) start off with the bulk aromatics at the local B&M, and quite frankly those are the ones that are prone to causing tongue bite and sourness in the pipe. The sugars in the tobaccos are likely the cause. Since you like cigars, I'd head over to the Newbie Sampler Trade thread and sign up to get some premium tobacco blends that you'll really enjoy.

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

I guess my situation is a little similar to Hannibal's... I'm a cigar smoker and I love my cigars, but I have a meer that I picked up in England almost 7 years ago and haven't had out of the case in at least 4... If I have it I might as well enjoy it right? My mistake was jumping into smoking a pipe without having any clue what I was doing. I don't see my pipe taking the place of my cigars, but I'm hoping I can learn how to properly enjoy it when I have the hankering... Anyway, hello all. I'm Josh.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by AStateJB View Post
    I guess my situation is a little similar to Hannibal's... I'm a cigar smoker and I love my cigars, but I have a meer that I picked up in England almost 7 years ago and haven't had out of the case in at least 4... If I have it I might as well enjoy it right? My mistake was jumping into smoking a pipe without having any clue what I was doing. I don't see my pipe taking the place of my cigars, but I'm hoping I can learn how to properly enjoy it when I have the hankering... Anyway, hello all. I'm Josh.
    Welcome Josh, why don't you join the Newbie Sampler Trade for Pipes, for the price of a tin you can get samples of different kinds of tobaccos to try, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Here are a few threads with some good information in them:

Pipe FAQ/101/Getting Started

http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/genera...-pipe-guy.html
    Join us for the Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: May's blend is Dunhill's Nightcap. Post reviews and join the discussion here.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Hannibal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Jeff, what kind of tobacco were you trying to smoke back in the day? A lot of pipe newbies (myself included) start off with the bulk aromatics at the local B&M, and quite frankly those are the ones that are prone to causing tongue bite and sourness in the pipe. The sugars in the tobaccos are likely the cause. Since you like cigars, I'd head over to the Newbie Sampler Trade thread and sign up to get some premium tobacco blends that you'll really enjoy.
    Dan, that's probably it exactly. I tried quite a few different blends from the local B&M and the one that I grew to like out of all of them was Petersons Sunset Breeze. But like you also stated I'm liking cigars and I'm hoping that, with time and good blends, I can find something that suits me just fine. I know it's all about trial and error and a lot has to do with packing and taking your time. So hopefully some of the things I've learned smoking cigars will transfer over to getting back to enjoying my pipes.
    My Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/hannibal
    Proud to have served 1988-2000 U.S. Army!!

Young Puffer Fish

Hello! I'm a long time lurker here, but I think it's time I said "hi!" I have smoked cigars for a couple of years but got into pipes about a month ago. I'm still trying to get used to having to relight my pipe every so often! My current goal is to smoke a bowl all the way to the bottom. Even while smoking slowly and waiting for the pipe to cool before relighting, I find that I can get only so close to the bottom before I have to empty it. Anyway, hi!

Quote Originally Posted by kava View Post
    Hello! I'm a long time lurker here, but I think it's time I said "hi!" I have smoked cigars for a couple of years but got into pipes about a month ago. I'm still trying to get used to having to relight my pipe every so often! My current goal is to smoke a bowl all the way to the bottom. Even while smoking slowly and waiting for the pipe to cool before relighting, I find that I can get only so close to the bottom before I have to empty it. Anyway, hi!
    Welcome to Puff Kava!

Howdy, Kava! Get some Prince Albert, a basic burley found at your local drug/grocery store. Easiest thing to burn to the bottom out there. Solid smoking, nothing fancy. Stick around and you'll find all the help you need figuring out how to operate these baby furnaces.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Some people say that's actually a good thing. I find that with some really high end tobaccos (like Full Virginia Flake, Stonehaven, etc) the pipe is done when there's still about a pinch's worth of tobacco in the bowl.

Anyway, its a better thing to just practice smoking it right and surprise yourself when you smoke it all the way than smoke for the purpose of trying to get to the bottom. The search for the former is a wonderful hobby we all enjoy. The search for the latter is tongue bite, bitter tobacco, and hot pipes.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Howdy, Kava! Get some Prince Albert, a basic burley found at your local drug/grocery store. Easiest thing to burn to the bottom out there. Solid smoking, nothing fancy. Stick around and you'll find all the help you need figuring out how to operate these baby furnaces.
    I wonder if they sell that at Walgreens. My local B&M suggested I start off with some aromatics and a decent briar pipe from the $30 basket. I brought that for a trip to one of the Renaissance festivals and my GF liked the pipe so much more than the cigars that we spent an hour hitting all the tobacco shops to get her a pipe of her own!

Leading Puffer Fish

I wonder if they sell that at Walgreens. My local B&M suggested I start off with some aromatics and a decent briar pipe from the $30 basket. I brought that for a trip to one of the Renaissance festivals and my GF liked the pipe so much more than the cigars that we spent an hour hitting all the tobacco shops to get her a pipe of her own!
    Welcome Kava!

This could also be part of why you have to relight so often. Honestly, the advice you got is all too common and unfortunately all too wrong. The bulk aromatic tobaccos can be some of the hardest to smoke, and if you don't dry them out first you either get bitten trying to keep them lit or they go out all the time. Basket pipes are usually a brand name pipe that the company won't even put their name on because has some major flaw. Jim gave some good advise, get some Prince Albert or Carter Hall and I would suggest picking up a corn cob pipe (they smoke great and usually cost less than $10).

Welcome again, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.