Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 121 of 122 FirstFirst ... 21 71 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 1824

Archive: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself)

This is a discussion on Archive: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself) within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; It's settled then! I am going to make a trip to the drug store to find a corn cob pipe ...

Young Puffer Fish

Re: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself)

It's settled then! I am going to make a trip to the drug store to find a corn cob pipe and some Price Albert/Carter Hall tobacco!
    I do try to take the aromatic tobacco and spread it on a paper plate for an hour or so (sometimes a few days) before packing it. But, here in central Louisiana, even when it's dry, it's over 50% RH!

Young Puffer Fish

Ok, so Walgreens here doesn't carry Prince Albert or Carter hall, so I got Blender's Gold Burley and Black. I also picked up a corn cob pipe. Let's see how it goes!

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kava View Post
    Ok, so Walgreens here doesn't carry Prince Albert or Carter hall, so I got Blender's Gold Burley and Black. I also picked up a corn cob pipe. Let's see how it goes!
    Walmart has Prince, HyVee (if you have those where you are) has Carter.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    Walmart has Prince, HyVee (if you have those where you are) has Carter.
    No HyVee here, but we definitely have Walmart. I am going to have to search specifically for the PA, since the Blender's Gold fared worse than the local B&M tobacco. I had to empty the last 1/3, and it was completely wet! I know I took my time -- well, the same amount as before ;-) -- and I tried a bowl both in the new corn cob and my briar. I had a bad feeling when it started gurgling about 10 minutes in with the briar. I've got 12 oz, so I'll experiment with the Blender's Gold a bit, but I'll make sure I pick up the two that were suggested by name.

I am going to have to search specifically for the PA, since the Blender's Gold fared worse than the local B&M tobacco. I had to empty the last 1/3, and it was completely wet!
    With those sorts of tobaccos, nothing dries them out because of the high propylene glycol content -- keeps the tobacco permanently "fresh", as it sits on the shelf for months at a time. Instead of the water from combustion passing through the tobacco as steam and up the stem into your mouth while picking up flavors from the pack, the PG takes it up and makes the tobacco wet. Some condensation is normal, but with a lot PG, it gets totally out of hand.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

No HyVee here, but we definitely have Walmart. I am going to have to search specifically for the PA, since the Blender's Gold fared worse than the local B&M tobacco. I had to empty the last 1/3, and it was completely wet! I know I took my time -- well, the same amount as before ;-) -- and I tried a bowl both in the new corn cob and my briar. I had a bad feeling when it started gurgling about 10 minutes in with the briar. I've got 12 oz, so I'll experiment with the Blender's Gold a bit, but I'll make sure I pick up the two that were suggested by name.
    I wish we could have warned you about the blenders! I mix a little vanilla into my "daily" smoke as a preservative. It stays wet indefinitely. And, with almost ALL tobaccos, you need to dry them a bit before they enter the pipe. If I'm going to smoke at noon, I fill a pipe when I wake up (7 AM). Or, I spread the tobak out on a paper place for 30-60 minutes before smoking.

Leading Puffer Fish

It may be time to order some online if you can't get any locally (unfortunately, that is the situation I am in). Like Kyle said, most tobaccos will benefit from some drying air time. However, that is not to say that they can't be smoked straight from the package, I am often guilty of not planning my smokes and end up deciding what I am going to smoke just before I fill up my bowl. That can lead to some gurgle in the pipe, but that is easily remedied by running a pipe cleaner through the stem to absorb the excess moisture. However it sounds like the Blender's Gold is near hopeless, not everything seems to be forgiving.
    Join us for the Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: May's blend is Dunhill's Nightcap. Post reviews and join the discussion here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    It may be time to order some online if you can't get any locally (unfortunately, that is the situation I am in). Like Kyle said, most tobaccos will benefit from some drying air time. However, that is not to say that they can't be smoked straight from the package, I am often guilty of not planning my smokes and end up deciding what I am going to smoke just before I fill up my bowl. That can lead to some gurgle in the pipe, but that is easily remedied by running a pipe cleaner through the stem to absorb the excess moisture. However it sounds like the Blender's Gold is near hopeless, not everything seems to be forgiving.
    Precisely. There are a few blends that go straight from tin to flame well (reading Nick's signature reminds me that OGS can often be a great example of this) but many tobaccos come a bit wet for the sake of longevity.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    I wish we could have warned you about the blenders! I mix a little vanilla into my "daily" smoke as a preservative. It stays wet indefinitely. And, with almost ALL tobaccos, you need to dry them a bit before they enter the pipe. If I'm going to smoke at noon, I fill a pipe when I wake up (7 AM). Or, I spread the tobak out on a paper place for 30-60 minutes before smoking.
    I just tried again after keeping the Blender's Gold out on a paper plate since last night. Same problem. I guess I'll just stick it in a jar and ignore it until the time that I run out of better tobacco and just need a fix.

I just tried again after keeping the Blender's Gold out on a paper plate since last night. Same problem. I guess I'll just stick it in a jar and ignore it until the time that I run out of better tobacco and just need a fix.
    That's what I do. Don't sweat it, brother! Every tobacco has some niche to fill.

I sorta miss this thread. (Yeah, it's somewhere else now. I don't feel like looking for it.)
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I sorta miss this thread. (Yeah, it's somewhere else now. I don't feel like looking for it.)
    I forgot there was another subforum for newbie welcomes! Last time I checked, there was only 1 newbie thread, and now there are 8!

Greetings from Los Angeles!

Complete Pipe noob but really wanting to get a setup going. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from you all!

Zach

Welcome to the pipe den Zack.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

You know, guys, I've spent the majority of my time here at Puff on the cigar side, but I've been finding myself reading what you pipers have to say more often than before so I'm taking this opportunity to reintroduce myself.

Hi! My name is Andy. I tried my first pipe (MM) a little over a year ago and really enjoyed it, but cigars were always my main focus. Now that I work at a tobacconist, though, I've been leaning on my pipe more often than not because, as the day gets hectic, I can set it down and come back to it later. Too many cigars were ruined trying to do the same. It's funny, though, because now that I've been digging in a bit deeper, I realize just how much I absolutely love pipe tobacco! At some point the lightbulb in my head started burning a bit brighter, I guess! I look forward to the lighter, more delicate tastes, and I appreciate what pipe tobacco brings to the table.

My favorites are Irish Flake, FVF, Squadron Leader, Nightcap, Stonehaven and Penzance. And Balkan Sasieni. And Pirate Kake and Jackknife Plug. I'm also quickly falling in love with Lancer's Slices, Irish Oak, Meridian, Marlin Flake and SPC's Plum Pudding. And Red Raparee. And Anniversary Kake.

Phew.

Needless to say, I'm really enjoying myself. I've had a wee little bit of PAD lately, buying a new Peterson Dalkey, an estate Savinelli Octavia, an estate GBD Canadian, an estate Guildhall/Comoy, I'm in the process of trading for a Ben Wade and another Peterson, and I just ordered a McCarter Egg as well as a custom from Dave... If somebody doesn't stop me, I'm also going to buy a Savinelli Clark's Favorite pretty soon. And did I mention that I can't wait for the 2012 Puff Pipe?

Anyway, thanks to everyone for making this side so warm and welcoming. I look forward to continuing to learn from you guys, and thanks for making everything sound so good that I have to go out and buy buy buy.
    Never trust anyone over 30.