Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Greeting to everyone~~

This is a discussion on Greeting to everyone~~ within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hi!! I am an international student studying in PA. Heavy smoker (especially a few days before an exam...) and want ...

Young Puffer Fish

Greeting to everyone~~

Hi!!

I am an international student studying in PA.
    Heavy smoker (especially a few days before an exam...) and want to switch to pipe.

Can someone give me some advice choosing a pipe (Brand, price, etc.)?

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Re: Greeting to everyone~~

Welcome brother! What price range are you looking to spend on a pipe?

I'm to new to pipes to be giving you advice but I will say "Welcome aboard".
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    Welcome brother! What price range are you looking to spend on a pipe?
    I have no idea about that...
    The maximum I can spend is about $70.
    But I don't think it is appropriate to spend that much on my first pipe....

Can you give me some advice about what price range, brand I should go for or avoid?

I think if I was looking for a starter pipe now, I'd look into the Savinelli Naturals at around $40. Not the prettiest pipes in the world, although they improve in appearance with smoking, but solidly built. And welcome!
    ********.com

Welcome. I always tell new pipe smokers to get a corncob. Low investment and if you screw up or it isn't for you no big deal. If you want something else most shops have some good pipes in the $30 to $40 range. Hope you enjoy it here. You can learn tons about pipe smoking. Some really amazing guys in this group.

Welcome to Puff!

corn cobs are great starter pipes
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Hi Kenny, welcome abord.
    Second the corn cob, try a Missouri Meerschaum. Great pipes and dirty cheap. If you are a heavy smoker try some burley blends as they have the highest nicotine levels in general. Not a huge burley fan myself but butternut burley is quite good, a lot of pipers here enjoy PA and Charter Hall.

Try out some of the Peter Stokkebye bulks, luxury navy flakes, bullseye flake etc. They are quality tobaccos and very cheap. Also check out the pipe noobie trade once you have PMs unlocked, great way to try a whole swag of baccys.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

Young Puffer Fish

Thanks for the information.

I consider myself as heavy smoker because I need something to relax (that's why heaviest during exam...)..
    Indeed, I am not really addicted to nicotine...
    Is there any kind of tobacco that make you feel really relaxing?

I have done some research online and the corn cob pipes seem to be not long lasting.
    And I believe I will stick with pipe smoking (I believe it will be the best substitute for cigarette).
    Is there any good brand you guys recommended?

According to my research, Kaywoodie seems to be a good brand to go for. Am I right?

Here are some brand I find in pipesandcigars . com and I am interested in. Are they good choice for my first pipe?

Bjarne Pipe -- Some of the Viking Classic seem really nice and affordable.

Kaywoodie -- I really like its looking (especially the Ruff Tone adn Red Root). And a lot of people think they (Kaywoodie) are very nice pipe.

Leonessa Pipe -- Totally no idea about this. But seems to be nice too.

Roma Pipe -- Same as the Leonessa Pipe

Sry... but I am unable to post links....

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

I have a kaywoodie I occasionally throw in my pocket. The stinger plugs up on every smoke. I'm hacking the damn thing off this weekend.

Maybe look in the direction of Savinelli. They tend to be a great pipe to start with. Also, check out Pulver's Briar. Great website to find a deal on. He has a really pretty Kaywoodie (if that's one you're set on) for $35, unsmoked. Check the specials page.

There are so many good pipes out there. If you need help picking something just call pipesandcigars up and they will help guide you in your choice. Some really good customer service there.

Certified Clubbin'-Seal HugSeal's Avatar

Welcome aboard! Haven't got much tips for you apart from this. Smoke tobacco you like in a pipe you like and you are pretty much set for life.

Maturing Puffer Fish Briars&Havanas's Avatar

Welcome!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Welcome to Puff!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Some really good advice here, maybe too much. It's hard to go wrong. Just don't set your pipe budget too high or too low ($40-60 can get you a fantastic first pipe) and wait until you see something that screams at you to buy it. You'll know the difference between what you think should be your first pipe and what definitely should be.
    Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber