Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Sliding down the slope...

This is a discussion on Sliding down the slope... within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Greetings from the rolled wad of leaves side of puff. Been smoking cigars for a few years now, and thinking ...

Sliding down the slope...

Greetings from the rolled wad of leaves side of puff.

Been smoking cigars for a few years now, and thinking about coming over to the pipers side as well. Come by it honestly - my dad has smoked a pipe for as long as I can remember.

Doing a lot of reading and watching of vids - I suppose the current question is really what pipe for a noob is easiest to pack/smoke? I've been trolling the assorted pipe threads and looking at FAQ'ish threads as well, but why do anything without exhaustive research first, I always say...
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Re: Sliding down the slope...

There are loads of Pipes and not all are Equal. Most people start off with a Corncob pipe and feel that it is the best to get started with. When I started smoking a Pipe I kind of jumped in with both feet and bought a couple of pipes as I wasn't sure what would be the best for me. Then a few months later got a Corncob as well. You tube is a good place to learn how to pack a pipe I wish that would have been around when I first started smoking one. There are loads of different ways to packa pipe and I find not one right way. I think to start out the best way would be the type 3 method. I smoke a pipe daily to offset how many Cigars I smoke. I hope you find it as enjoyable as the rest of the pipe smokers....

James
    For the Love of (__[@}___Cigars__}}}}}
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."~E G R

Certified Clubbin'-Seal HugSeal's Avatar

The 3-layer methid should probably be a good place to start. I also like the Frank method(youtube it).
    I have never smoked a corncob myself so cannot say either or about them. You can also get some nice estate briars on ebay for cheap.

You should also definatley get a czech pipe-tool and some pipecleaners. Oh, and join the noobtrade if it is still applicable(more than 3 months since you registered but you are still new with pipes). And in any case I'm sure someone in that thread is willing to help you out.

Apart from that, welcome to the other slope of town. And you are right. everything gets more fun with a ridicilous ammount of research first. I am doing the same but with cigars at the moment.
    Bjorn to smoke
    (Credits go to Josh[AStateJB])

Okay - after more reading and y'alls input I will be picking up a MM Corncob Diplomat next time I drop in at my B&M. Three step method looks doable enough...

Now about those churchwardens...
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

The three step method can encourage the packing of your pipe. You don't want that. A pipe is not to be packed, it is to be filled. Try the Frank method if you get a chance. Otherwise, do what I do. Fill the bowl with tobacco, light 'er up, tamp until the draw is the way you'd like it. Simple, easy, fun!

Maturing Puffer Fish Briars&Havanas's Avatar

Welcome!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Welcome to Puff Brain! I am a noob to pipes i prefer a thick briar pipe i use the Frank method
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

I think you're off to a good start with the advise you've gotten so far. Nothing left but to give it a shot and see how you like it.
    Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber