Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

May as well...

This is a discussion on May as well... within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Alright, well, Terry (ProbateGeek) put a valiant effort to make me a pipe smoker by hitting me with about 8 ...

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

May as well...

Alright, well, Terry (ProbateGeek) put a valiant effort to make me a pipe smoker by hitting me with about 8 different tobaccos, and now Brian (Desertlifter) decided to hit me with a MM cob pipe and some 3 more samplers of tobacco! I really need to smoke through a bowl of each to figure out what I like still.

I've tried smoking a pipe on and off for a while, and here's the thing. A cigar I almost never have a bad experience with. At this point, it's a sure thing. But with the pipe, it's a gamble! Most of the time, my experience is "meh." I have to relight, or repack, it's harsh (probably because I didn't store it right) or what-have-you. It's just a lot of work! But... when it's on, it's on, and quite enjoyable. Everytime I think I'm going to have my last bowl before permanently putting the pipe away, I have a decent experience, or my brother-in-law smokes his and the smell is just intoxicating, and I resolve to try again. If I can just get beyond the noobness, I think I might really enjoy it.

I've put some serious though into purchasing a nice pipe (I'd like to get myself a Savineli Trevi 606, it's just beautiful!), and am looking at trying to find some nice storage solutions for my tobacco that don't look cluttered (I thought about maybe a spice rack?)

Just as fair warning, I'll be posting some annoying noob questions, and looking for tobaccos to try once I've sampled some of what I've already been given. So far I've tended to enjoy the aromatics, but nothing fruity. I don't particularly care for the harsher tobacco flavors (I had some CAO Eileen's Dream, and it didn't have much flavor and seemed a bit harsh), or anything with much "bite" to it, but there have been a handful I have enjoyed. One of them is a blend called "Old English" my brother-in-law brought back for me from a shop in Cali.

Anyways, I hate you all for pushing me down this slope. I also wish I had enough time to really learn what I'm doing here! I've been given links to several you-tube videos, but those I can't view at work and never have time at home. I'll get to it one of these days!
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Re: May as well...

As my favorite Internet personality says, "There's no such thing as a stupid question until you ask it."

There are very few questions that haven't been asked, but every now and then, the answers change, so it's worth asking them again. And welcome to the light side of tobacco, young padawan.
    Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Oldmso54's Avatar

Derek, as a brand new pipe smoker myself I've had the same experiences. lots of relighting, lots of puffing to keep it lit, some tongue bite, but the more i do it the better i get. i'm packing the bowl better, getting longer smoking between relights and the variancce of tobaccos seems endless.

Also the pipe you listed = Savineli Trevi 606 - it is indeed a very beautiful pipe and one I've had my eye on since i started looking at pipes, so that one is a FANTASTIC choice in my book.

I've smoked about 1/2 dozen bowls now - some short, some long which is a nice thing. I'd recommend continuing to give it a try. And if you get the Savinelli let me know because I'll get it too!!!

I ain't ! I'm just a little large for my size!

Hahahahaha, Little Ninja Buddy is jumping into pipes! This is awesome, we have something else to talk about now!

Seems like this side has been getting a lot of activity lately, it's great.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Fancy finding you here!

Don't worry about the noob questions - thanks to the contest and some serendipity there are a fair number of us pipe noobs here - I am one of them myself.

I do hope that you enjoy the pipe. I honestly haven't smoked a cigar since I picked up mine, although I am definitely still learning.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    I honestly haven't smoked a cigar since I picked up mine, although I am definitely still learning.
    With the amount of time and money I've spent building my stash, that thought terrifies me. Maybe I should lay this pipe down and never touch it again!!!
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Hannibal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aninjaforallseasons View Post
    With the amount of time and money I've spent building my stash, that thought terrifies me. Maybe I should lay this pipe down and never touch it again!!!
    Nawww Brother, that shouldn't be the case at all. I too went back to my pipes after being off them for quite some time. But my wineador, full of sticks, is getting some much needed rest time. Just think of how good the sticks will be with some good rest on them!! I still crack it open and grab a stick every now and then and when I do I'm pleasantly surprised at how much better they smoke now vs. when I was only smoking them.
    My Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/hannibal
    Proud to have served 1988-2000 U.S. Army!!

Having smoked pipes most of my life, I have been enjoying cigars more lately and using my pipes for nubbers. Who is to say both worlds can not be enjoyed.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by Aninjaforallseasons View Post
    It's not that I don't like the cigar - it's the skill building and learning about the pipe more than anything. All of the reasons that I had in trying the pipe have held true for me thus far - easier for a quick smoke, variety, and so on. Like Jeff said, my cigars are enjoying a nice rest in my humi. It's not a coffin for them!
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

I was just being dramatic. No way I'm laying down my cigars!!!

Cheers, y'all!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

I knew he was joking LOL!
    The Ninja lays down for no one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix