Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Bitter

This is a discussion on Bitter within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; When I'm smoking every once in awhile iget a bitter taste, or it gets really moist, am I doing something ...

Bitter

When I'm smoking every once in awhile iget a bitter taste, or it gets really moist, am I doing something wrong.

Newbie in the ocean

Re: Bitter

I get the same thing when my pipe gets too moist. It tends to happen to me more if I've forgotten to clean my pipe. I would also love to hear what I'm doing wrong ^_^.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

WELCOME TO PUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rub your tobacco out let it sit a couple of hours before smoking.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Ok good to know.thanks

What are you smoking? If it's something like Haunted Bookshop or Old Joe Krantz (ie unsweetened burley), you can get a good deal of bitterness just by smoking too fast.
    Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber

Quote Originally Posted by TommyTree View Post
    What are you smoking? If it's something like Haunted Bookshop or Old Joe Krantz (ie unsweetened burley), you can get a good deal of bitterness just by smoking too fast.
    I think that is what is happening I tend to just puff away...

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

I am a noob at pipes but an old timer told me once "sip it don't gulp"
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

I think generally the opinion is slower the better. And don't be afraid to let it go out a few times. VA's in particular are more acceptable to a re-light I believe. Brings out more flavor. And also, from what I read on the G.L. Pease FAQ page on their website, almost all tobacco is packed wetter to allow better aging, and not for smoking straight out. So take what you want to burn and let it sit out for a half hour or more depending on the moisture level. Should lower the chance of the problems you're coming across, which are definately nothing new to the guys on the forum.

It may also just be that you're a Giants fan and all the animosity of those who support your NFC East rivals is somehow seeping into your tobacco. Maybe not, but who knows.
    Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber