Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to pipes

This is a discussion on New to pipes within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hey Everyone, I've been on the cigar side for a while and the thought of an occasional pipe interests me. ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes Casey Jones's Avatar

New to pipes

Hey Everyone,

I've been on the cigar side for a while and the thought of an occasional pipe interests me. Just wanted to introduce myself over here although I do see a lot of familiar faces.

I'll now spend the next week reading all the old threads before I make my first purchase.

Scott

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Re: New to pipes

Welcome to the Pipe side, brother!

Pipes are great for when you don't have time or just don't feel like smoking a whole cigar. Welcome
    Www.yougrowillmowinc.com
    Living on coffee and cigars, and loving it

+1 machine, I love my pipe while @ work, and sometimes when i just need a nice break.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Hannibal's Avatar

Welcome Brother!!!

Beware of the other two new sicknesses your about to have very shortly PAD and TAD. Better known as Pipe Acquisition Disorder and Tobacco Acquisition Disorder both have been known to drive people insane!!!
    My Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/hannibal
    Proud to have served 1988-2000 U.S. Army!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Welcome Brother!!!

Beware of the other two new sicknesses your about to have very shortly PAD and TAD. Better known as Pipe Acquisition Disorder and Tobacco Acquisition Disorder both have been known to drive people insane!!!
    That's not true. If that was true, I'd be insane. I AM NOT INSANE!

turtles
    Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber

Thanks guys. I'm really looking forward to learning all about this.

Just a quick question... I've been going to the new pipe smoker recommendations that people give newbies. It is a little overwhelming. Should I still start with those recommendations even though I'm somewhat experienced with cigars? I realize its pretty different, but I've found that I'm a big fan of full flavor smokes. When I recommend a cigar to a new smoker, I usually offer a milder smoke. Any suggestions would be great.

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Jones View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm really looking forward to learning all about this.

Just a quick question... I've been going to the new pipe smoker recommendations that people give newbies. It is a little overwhelming. Should I still start with those recommendations even though I'm somewhat experienced with cigars? I realize its pretty different, but I've found that I'm a big fan of full flavor smokes. When I recommend a cigar to a new smoker, I usually offer a milder smoke. Any suggestions would be great.
    Prince Albert. Great, no nonsense, get-your-wits-about-ye blend. Won't bite, won't taste bad. Start there, then branch into some tinned stuff.

Perfect. Thanks Kyle

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Hey SCOTT how ya been long time no see. I to am a noob at pipes i like flake tobacco best. Escoudio, Orlick golden sliced, Mac barren Irish flake. I have a huge bag full of cut tobacco-samples i have tried its all in one bag your welcome to it. Tastes real good i just love flake if you want it P.M me your addy bro peace.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Hey Scott, welcome to this side! Glad to see you over here!

Take Kyle's suggestion and pick up some PA, then worry about your first real order. Since you like cigars and your palate has already developed to appreciate fine tobacco I would stick to just a few tins right off the bat, two latakia-based mixtures and two VA (Virginia)-based mixtures, just so you can get a feel for the differences between them. I would say a tin of Peterson's Irish Flake, a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced, a tin of GL Pease Meridian and a tin of Balkan Sasieni would make a great first order and none are ridiculously expensive (plus they have great trade potential if you don't care for them).

I have noticed that both cigar converts and people brand new to smoking seem to need a while to really warm up to the VAs. I still love latakia, don't get me wrong, but when I first started it was those smokey flavors that really caught my attention and a lot of the VAs that I tried were underappreciated. So, don't be discouraged if a VA blend doesn't blow your socks off right away - given time, you may come back to it and find that it's one of your favorites!
    Never trust anyone over 30.

I absolutely will, Andrew. Thank you!

Tony- Very generous of you. I'll definitely try that flake. I think we have very similar taste because I have absolutely loved everything you have ever recommended to me on the cigar side.

I agree with Kyle as well. Just to warn you, starting smokers generally don't taste that much anyway at first (and coming from cigars, the problem is probably worse) so starting out with the highly recommended tobaccos for that first month or so is pretty much a waste anyway. Maybe your cigar experience will help you ramp up quickly, I don't know. I do know that my experience with pipes didn't really help that much when I picked up cigars, though.

Don't forget the newbie sampler trade!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Jones View Post
    I absolutely will, Andrew. Thank you!

Tony- Very generous of you. I'll definitely try that flake. I think we have very similar taste because I have absolutely loved everything you have ever recommended to me on the cigar side.
    I got your P.M and addy it will go out today will post DC#.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Puffer Fish with many spikes GoJohnnyGo's Avatar

Once you decide to make an order I highly recommend Habana Daydream from Cornell and Diehl. It's a pretty cheap English blend with cigar leaf in it. So far it's my favorite cigar blend tobacco and since your a cigar smoker it seems appropriate to recommend it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast