Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

New Piper Fish from Michigan

This is a discussion on New Piper Fish from Michigan within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hello everyone, First off I have to say this is a great site and forum and I'm looking forward to ...

New Piper Fish from Michigan

Hello everyone,

First off I have to say this is a great site and forum and I'm looking forward to learning about my new hobby and making some friends along the way.

I attended a meetup/herf with some coworkers and forum members at Churchill's (in West Bloomfield Michigan, I can't post links yet) about two months ago and had a great time. This is my introduction to the forum and I wanted to give some info about myself and ask for some advice.

I'm fairly new to what I think of as 'proper' cigar smoking and totally new to pipes. I've always enjoyed the occasional cigar but I've never felt that I knew what to buy or where to start in the hobby. Where I'm at right now has a few people I know irl from the forums giving me great information and then my family and friends smoking anything from Swisher Sweets to who knows what. I'm looking to gain some insight into my tastes and that means starting here with you all and asking for any recommendations you can spare. I know that the site has a great community and is a good opportunity for someone like me to stop being intimidated by the wealth of products for sale and, armed with information and experience, start appreciating what's out there.

Specifically to pipes, I'm looking to get started for a few reasons. First, I'm not a regular smoker. I appreciate the act of smoking and the effects but I'm not looking for a 'pack a day' habit. I would say that I smoke maybe 2-4 cigars a month, mainly due to some self imposed rules. I haven't broken the seal on smoking in my house or car and I don't take smoke breaks at work. For me smoking is more of an event, something I can do an the weekends or evenings. Based on that, smoking a cigar at a friends or outside is something I do but it's really a commitment. You have to have at *least* a good 30 minutes to appreciate a cigar and from what I've heard it's not ideal to light and relight (something I have to do often, due to my inexperience). So, while I do enjoy cigars and will slowly be expanding my range, I'm more interested in learning about pipes. From what I can tell, smoking a pipe takes less time and less money 'smoke to smoke' than a cigar. Also, my fiancee is interested in both pipes and cigars and with the wide variety of pipe tobaccos out there I thought it would be a good way for the two of us to quickly move through a lot of different flavors.

So, my main questions are about the basics. What should I get for my first pipe? I've heard corncob and work your way up from there; I don't mind paying for something good if it will last though. I've been scoping out some Peterson pipes that look great and seem like they would age very well. Also, are there any good guides to how to do the basics: lighting, keeping the flame going, making sure I don't ruin the tobacco. etc? I don't want to get a pipe and waste my time with bad technique.

Thanks for reading this far and thanks for any responses that I get! I'm new to the forum but I think I'll be here for a long time.

Re: New Piper Fish from Michigan

Hi Brandon,

I started smoking pipes for the same reason you are, thinking that it was a quicker smoked, but like cigars, pipes come in all shapes and sizes. I found out the hard way when I bought a Savinelli Brandy pipe as my second pipe, (The first being a starter kit from PipesandCigars) The bowl was huge, and I don't think i'ver ever smoked the bowl all the way down. With that being said, I also bought a corn cob pipe at the same time, a lot smaller bowl, and a quicker smoke, and it wasn't a bad smoke. In fact, last summer I was mainly switching off smoking a between the corn cob and Savinelli, and I rarely touched my first pipe.

Not being an expert pipe smoker, others may have differing opinions, but I would recommend starting with a corn cob, or if you don't mind spending the money, getting a higher quality small bowl pipe. I'm thinking of getting a small bowl Churchwarden for having those quick smokes.

Scan the Pipes forums, I found a lot of useful information about pipes and tobacco here, there a lot of knowledgable people on these formums.

Also think about signing up for the Newbie Sampler Trade if you're interested in doing that. Can help you get a good idea of what kind of blends are out there without having to buy one or two tins you may or may not like.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be on here checking for info and I'll definitely be doing a Newbie Sampler Trade!

Welcome to the site. Lots of great info here.
    Www.yougrowillmowinc.com
    Living on coffee and cigars, and loving it

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Shift View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be on here checking for info and I'll definitely be doing a Newbie Sampler Trade!
    There's actually two Newbie trades, one for pipes and one for cigars. Check them both out.
    Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber

Churchill's in Bloomfield has Pipes and Pipe tobacco also, you may want to check them out since you're local.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Welcome bro!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by NomoMoMo View Post
    Churchill's in Bloomfield has Pipes and Pipe tobacco also, you may want to check them out since you're local.
    Yeah, the herf was at Churchills. The more I look around the more I see that it's a really nice place and I want to take another trip out there. I went to Goodfella's at Rochester and Auburn yesterday and the pipe selection was pretty limited. They are a lot closer to me but for pipes I think I'll be buying online to start.