Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Greetings from Memphis

This is a discussion on Greetings from Memphis within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hey guys. Another fairly new pipe smoker here. I've been lurking for a while, and this forum really seems great. ...

Greetings from Memphis

Hey guys. Another fairly new pipe smoker here. I've been lurking for a while, and this forum really seems great.

I'm from New Orleans, but am currently living in Memphis (where I cant find a good B&M for the life of me). I've been at the pipe for about a year now(went straight to pipe - I've never smoked a cigar). I just recently got my first real pipe - a Peterson 80s Bent Bulldog which I love. My only other pipe is a cheap Tinderbox briar. (I don't have much of a budget for pipes, so I was ecstatic to finally get a Peterson.)

I've tried a few blends from each of the major styles. Here are my favorites so far:

Latakia blends: SG Skiff Mixture, GL Pease Charing Cross, GL Pease Key Largo, Penzance
    VA: SG FVF
    VAPER: Escudo
    Aromatic: Haven't found one I like yet, but I have some H&H Butternut Burley coming in this week that I have high hopes for.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. I look forward to participating on this board.

Re: Greetings from Memphis

I notice you don't have any burley blends listed. Burleys can often be gotten cheap, which is very nice for the budget conscious smoker. You can get Prince Albert, Walnut, Carter Hall, Angler's Dream, etc., for less than $30 a tub.
    Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Welcome!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Welcome to Puff!!

Depending on how much you smoke, do not forget to give that Peterson some rest. Give the lowly cob a try. You may be surprised how well they smoke!
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Thanks for the great advice. I actually just ordered a MM diplomat on Monday. Heh it seems hard to beat for $8. As for burleys - I recently embarked on a quest to find the drugstore tobacco that really reminded me of my childhood memories of pipe smoking. I tried captain black, half & half, prince albert, carter hall, and borkum riff. The one that ended up being exactly what I was looking for was carter hall. I enjoyed prince albert and captain black, but didn't really care for half& half or borkum riff. The half & half seemed too close to cigarette smoke for me and the borkum was dry to the point of being unsmokable. Do you have any suggestions of some tinned burleys that might bring a burley mixture to the next level?