Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

right , wrong, or indifferent ....

This is a discussion on right , wrong, or indifferent .... within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; As the title states right, wrong, or indiferent I took the leap into the world pipes. I've always since a ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes Aschecte's Avatar

right , wrong, or indifferent ....

As the title states right, wrong, or indiferent I took the leap into the world pipes. I've always since a little boy had a fascination with pipes ever since my great grandfather would smoke and I'd love the smell and all the gadgets he used to play with. Now 30 years later I am a relatively seasoned cigar smoker though I still have a ways to go and I still remember old pappy's pipe and that wonderfull smell. I took the plunge today something tells me I may have done this wrong but I made my first attempt into the world of pipes by ordering the collegiate set from smokingpipes.com , it included a pipe tool , Italian design bent stem pipe, a tobbaco pouch with pipe holder, a pipe stand, cleaners burly and ?, and a few different "sampler" pouches of pipe tobbaco. I am used to cigars and typically spend anywhere up to $25.00 a stick so when I spent $31 for all the forementioned starter kit I feel I may have gone into the world of novelity but hey it's a first step to see if I even like smoking a pipe. HAs anyone else bought this starter ? As a complete NOOB any advice is reatly appreciated. -Aaron

Home Brewin' Herfer doomXsaloon's Avatar

Re: right , wrong, or indifferent ....

Quote Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
    As the title states right, wrong, or indiferent I took the leap into the world pipes. I've always since a little boy had a fascination with pipes ever since my great grandfather would smoke and I'd love the smell and all the gadgets he used to play with. Now 30 years later I am a relatively seasoned cigar smoker though I still have a ways to go and I still remember old pappy's pipe and that wonderfull smell. I took the plunge today something tells me I may have done this wrong but I made my first attempt into the world of pipes by ordering the collegiate set from smokingpipes.com , it included a pipe tool , Italian design bent stem pipe, a tobbaco pouch with pipe holder, a pipe stand, cleaners burly and ?, and a few different "sampler" pouches of pipe tobbaco. I am used to cigars and typically spend anywhere up to $25.00 a stick so when I spent $31 for all the forementioned starter kit I feel I may have gone into the world of novelity but hey it's a first step to see if I even like smoking a pipe. HAs anyone else bought this starter ? As a complete NOOB any advice is reatly appreciated. -Aaron
    oh, boy....you're really in trouble now!
    "Any cigar smoker is a friend, because I know how he feels." --Alfred de Musset

Quote Originally Posted by doomXsaloon View Post
    oh, boy....you're really in trouble now!
    Yeah today was a big leap for me Ken, frooze some cigars ( and have my fingers tightly crossed ) , bought a pipe and stuff , and smoked an awesome LADC Mi Amor magnifico. Busy day.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Old Salty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
    Yeah today was a big leap for me Ken, frooze some cigars ( and have my fingers tightly crossed ) , bought a pipe and stuff , and smoked an awesome LADC Mi Amor magnifico. Busy day.
    Addictive personality much? Let me know how it goes, as I have been curious myself.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Oldmso54's Avatar

Cant help on the sampler but I am enjoying the heck out of the pipe side!!! A whole new learning curve and experience and it's pretty cool! I think you made the RIGHT decision! There is plenty or room to explore in the pipe world!!

I ain't ! I'm just a little large for my size!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Salty View Post
    Addictive personality much? Let me know how it goes, as I have been curious myself.

You have no idea !!! Believe it or not I'm getting better though. I'll let you know I'm completely new to pipes I've never even attempted to smoke one. We will see what happens I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmso54 View Post
    Cant help on the sampler but I am enjoying the heck out of the pipe side!!! A whole new learning curve and experience and it's pretty cool! I think you made the RIGHT decision! There is plenty or room to explore in the pipe world!!

That's great to hear !!! Thanks for the encouragment. So when you started smoking a pipe was it with a " starter " setup or did you go straight for the kill ? Everything I read online basically says start small se how you like it and go from there. Honestly my first instinct was to by a Nording freehand signature contrast but then reality hit me and I said for once follow others with more expierences advise hence the starter kit from smokingpipes.com . I did some research on the kit I purchased and it actually did get good remarks and reviews independently so I do feel a bit better about it.

Dude Florida ny is 45 minutes away from me. Let's hook up for a pipe or a cigar.

I think you're fine. We all start somewhere, and you put in a relatively small initial investment to see if you'll like it. You'll buy a more expensive pipe before too long, but we all do. Enjoy and let us know if you have any questions.
    Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Don't be discouraged it takes time to develop your own technique. Enjoy!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by TommyTree View Post
    I think you're fine. We all start somewhere, and you put in a relatively small initial investment to see if you'll like it. You'll buy a more expensive pipe before too long, but we all do. Enjoy and let us know if you have any questions.

Does the pipe itself have a direct impact on the overall smoke enjoyability aside from asthetics ? I can deduct the bowl dimension plays a role in the time of the smoke as well as probabaly how cool the smoke may be ie. larger bowl longer and cooler smoke smaller quicker and hotter. Also doing some reading i see not to use the same bowl for aromatics and others as the aromatics will ghost the pipe with residual flavor / odor. aside from this is there any other advantage to a more expensive pipe ?

Pale Horse

Have you signed up for the newbie pipe sampler trade? It's well worth your while doing that!

As far as your question about less vs more expensive pipes, I don't really have a point of reference to point you to. I have been buying old estate pipes from ebay for about $10-15 each and fixing them up and they smoke great. You can get some really good pipes for not very much money if you're willing to get your hands a little dirty and do some cleaning and refinishing!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Eastree's Avatar

Craftsmanship comes into play, but for *very* expensive pipes, not really (IMO, though there are those who will disagree). What I mean about craftsmanship is that there's sort of a you-get-what-you-pay-for trade-off. I have had some very inexpensive pipes, and the place the draft hole is drilled is hit or miss, and must be checked (with every pipe, but variance increases with less expensive pipes). I have one, for example, with a draft hole that's about 1/8" above the bottom of the bowl. I have some more moderately priced pipes with a draft either right at the bottom, or just a hair above.

But here's something fun with pipes: a high drilled hole can possibly be corrected with a bit of pipe mud. My cheap pipe with the draft drilled too high smokes well enough, especially once I filled in the bottom to level things off better.

Some factors with pipe price are quality of the briar, and how flaws are treated. Some of the less expensive pipe makers will use fillers to correct small cracks or other imperfections. Some makers earn their higher price tag, also, by better showcasing of the grain qualities.

However, the most important thing about any pipe should be how well it smokes, and how much the person who owns the pipe enjoys it.