Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Hello, my name is Cupcake, and I have a problem.

This is a discussion on Hello, my name is Cupcake, and I have a problem. within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; My problem is now there are 2 slopes happening in my house at once! I've been smoking cigars for a ...

No longer a community member.

Hello, my name is Cupcake, and I have a problem.

My problem is now there are 2 slopes happening in my house at once! I've been smoking cigars for a little while and my curiosity got the best of me and I started asking about pipes back in November or December. Macke sent me a couple of pipe tobacco samples in December and I finally picked up a corncob pipe the other day and smoked one of the blends. ...and it was wonderful!

Before I smoked last night, I read a how-to on packing it, along with looking over some tips Macke gave me. And then I just started smoking. The rest came pretty naturally to me, even without reading much about it. I had to use the foot of a bottle opener last night as a tamper, but I picked up a pipe tool today in a local B&M. Also enjoyed making my first pipe tobacco purchase today. One's an English blend and one is a cherry vanilla. Can't wait to try them, plus the rum and maple that Macke sent me.

...my only problem is I burnt my tongue. Oops. Tips on keeping from doing this next time? I'm afraid to smoke another bowl until that clears up!

Re: Hello, my name is Cupcake, and I have a problem.

Welcome to the pipe side! As far as tongue bite, there is a mouth rinse some guys recommend but time is your friend. It will usually get better within a few days.

The main cause of tongue bite is smoking too fast or hot. Just slow down a little while smoking and take your time. It's okay if it goes out as you can just relight. Some people's body chemistry makes them more prone to tongue bite and you may be one of those individuals. Certain blends will cause tongue bite more often than others. It is my experience that cheaper aromatics will burn my tongue more often than virginias etc.

you might need to smoke slower, Cupcake....most burnt tongue issues are caused when someone puffs too hard and too fast on their pipe, so the next time, take lighter, slower draws....it's the same principle as when you're smoking a cigar, so relax and take nice gentle sips.

you also might need to dry out the baccy more before filling your bowl....baccy that's too moist creates more steam in the bowl and that can also cause tongue burn.....next time, put a bowlful on a paper towel and let it sit for about an hour and it should be a better smoke for you.

I'm sure the more seasoned pipers will mention things I might have missed, but those two suggestions are a good starting point.

Tongue bite is actually a chemical reaction. Over time, especially if you only smoke similar blends, your body chemistry will adjust to accommodate your new hobby. If, like me, you can't settle for just one type of tobacco, tongue bite is an inevitability, but there are ways of managing it.

Do:

Smoke slowly, which will lessen the bite as well as give you better flavors
    Drink "acidic" drinks. The chemicals from tobacco are bases in terms of pH. To counteract them, you can drink something acidic, like tea, coffee and lemonade.
    Give your tongue ample time to rest, especially at the beginning. I know you're loving it, but too many bowls can be painful.

Don't:

Smoke like a chimney. Too much heat will not help you here.
    Switch between blend types constantly. Even though I do this often, it doesn't help your tongue.
    Drink milk or eat ice cream. I did this once. Worst thing I've ever done as a pipe smoker, and I've dumped live embers on my crotch. A bowl of ice cream after a pipe club meeting made my tongue freeze and burn at the same time.
    Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber

Puffer Fish with some spikes Macke's Avatar

The rum and maple was pretty darn wet if that's the one you smoked, and I would recommend drying it for 50-60 mins as Pete suggested. The 1Q was not as wet, but could still use 45 minutes or so of drying time.

Hopefully the tongue bite isn't too much of a put-off as the pipe slope really is very enjoyable. I lucked out and have only gotten tongue bite once so far, but I smoke very slowly regardless of pipe or tobacco, so maybe that would be helpful to any pipe newbies that read this.
    Good friends are like good cigars, the longer you have them, the better they get

I should give Pete some credit for this new pipe slope of mine too... My curiosity was piqued when you sent me that old pipe and stuff in the WTF pass. lol

As far as the tongue bite, I blame a few factors that have been mentioned...
    1. I was puffing too often, trying not to let it go out
    2. I didn't know to dry the baccy for a while before smoking
    3. I got it too hot because I was a little too anxious - reference mistake number 1.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I did smoke a cigar today, and aside from the "oops, I ate hot soup" feeling on the tip of my tongue, there were no adverse effects. I think I lucked out this time and it wasn't bad. Now I know what (not) to do and hope to avoid this as much as possible in the future. I fear that I won't be able to behave though and stick to similar blends....

I found when I first came over from the cigar side that I was trying to get a similar volume of smoke from the pipe as I did from cigars. This caused me to draw far too vigorously and caused me tongue bite. After a lot of practice packing the bowl, I enjoy slowly sipping the pipe with fewer relights. Just keep trying. It'll work out.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Hannibal's Avatar

Okay, where's the problem???

Oh the burnt tongue... Got it.

Take your time and soon you'll be jumping off the pipe "cliff" instead of just lazily sliding down the hill!!
    My Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/hannibal
    Proud to have served 1988-2000 U.S. Army!!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belligerent_Cupcake View Post
    My problem is now there are 2 slopes happening in my house at once! I've been smoking cigars for a little while and my curiosity got the best of me and I started asking about pipes back in November or December. Macke sent me a couple of pipe tobacco samples in December and I finally picked up a corncob pipe the other day and smoked one of the blends. ...and it was wonderful!

Before I smoked last night, I read a how-to on packing it, along with looking over some tips Macke gave me. And then I just started smoking. The rest came pretty naturally to me, even without reading much about it. I had to use the foot of a bottle opener last night as a tamper, but I picked up a pipe tool today in a local B&M. Also enjoyed making my first pipe tobacco purchase today. One's an English blend and one is a cherry vanilla. Can't wait to try them, plus the rum and maple that Macke sent me.

...my only problem is I burnt my tongue. Oops. Tips on keeping from doing this next time? I'm afraid to smoke another bowl until that clears up!
    Smoke slower i have found this cuts back on tongue bite as does the pipe you are smoking from.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

All the tongue bite info here is spot on, I didn't see any mention of how to cope with it. Did anyone reccomend Biotene? This is a mouthwash designed to help prevent dry socket after oral surgery, and is sold in most stores. Walmart for sure. It has natural enzymes, and is very very soothing for the tongue bite.

Enjoy the new slope Vaesa!!

Quote Originally Posted by Belligerent_Cupcake View Post
    I should give Pete some credit for this new pipe slope of mine too... My curiosity was piqued when you sent me that old pipe and stuff in the WTF pass. lol

As far as the tongue bite, I blame a few factors that have been mentioned...
    1. I was puffing too often, trying not to let it go out
    2. I didn't know to dry the baccy for a while before smoking
    3. I got it too hot because I was a little too anxious - reference mistake number 1.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I did smoke a cigar today, and aside from the "oops, I ate hot soup" feeling on the tip of my tongue, there were no adverse effects. I think I lucked out this time and it wasn't bad. Now I know what (not) to do and hope to avoid this as much as possible in the future. I fear that I won't be able to behave though and stick to similar blends....
    oh sure, Cupcake, blame me, whydontcha?....

smoking a pipe faster just to make sure it doesn't go out is not a good tradeoff for tongue burn.....I know as cigar smokers, we're used to a certain rhythm to keep a cigar lit, but we also know that smoking a cigar too fast doesn't make it taste any better..pipes have their own rhythm too, so practice is necessary to find a rhythm that works for you.

and if your pipe goes out it's no big deal....you didn't fail in your objective, so just relight and resume your nice relaxed pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Poneill272 View Post
    All the tongue bite info here is spot on, I didn't see any mention of how to cope with it. Did anyone reccomend Biotene? This is a mouthwash designed to help prevent dry socket after oral surgery, and is sold in most stores. Walmart for sure. It has natural enzymes, and is very very soothing for the tongue bite.

Enjoy the new slope Vaesa!!
    now that's highly useful info, Phil.....does this mean we can call you Dr Phil now?

RG bump for Dr Phil

Hahahaha Pete!! Sure thing! LOL let me go shave my head!