Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Good day from Holland!

This is a discussion on Good day from Holland! within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hello everyone, As you might've read in the topic title, I'm from Holland and just wanted to drop in and ...

Newbie in the ocean

Good day from Holland!

Hello everyone,

As you might've read in the topic title, I'm from Holland and just wanted to drop in and say hello to everyone!
    I'm new to pipe smoking... as to say I haven't had the pleasure to try it even once! So, I figured this would be the best place to get started and learn alot. I'm not new to smoking in general though. I have been smoking hookah for about 3 years now.

Of course I would like to start off good and I have watched some video's on YouTube, and read some stuff about pipe smoking, but I do have some questions regarding the topic.
    First off, how does smoking a pipe compare to smoking a hookah in terms of taste? I know that pipe tobacco tastes better then let's say cigarettes, but the taste of hookah tobacco is fairly sweet, which I most definitely like. Is there an equivalent (sweet) tobacco kind I could start out with?
    Secondly, I want to start out with a good pipe, but I'm rather on a low budget. From the hookah community I can remember heated discussions about what hookah brand to use. In the end it would boil down to the fact that it didn't really matter that much. Is the same true for pipe smoking, and if so, could you recommend a pipe which I could start out with?
    I'm really excited to get my hands on some good tobacco and a nice pipe, so I would like to say thank you in advance, since you already (by reading the other topics) seem like a close and friendly community!

Re: Good day from Holland!

Welcome to Puff!!

If you have not visited The Dutch website on pipe smoking and collecting, you should.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

I find pipe tobacco much more flavorful and less subtle than shisha. But as is true in most areas of our hobby, different forms of tobacco just don't compare to each other. Cigars provide something much different than pipe tobacco, and it is detrimental to the experience to try to apply the expectations of one form of the leaf to another. If you like flavors, we can definitely provide recommendations (I like Two Friends English Chocolate, Peter Stokkebye Pistachio, and Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew), but you'll be disappointed if you expect them to give you the same experience as your hookah. Neither is better or worse, just very different.

As for a pipe, the Danes are some of the best carvers in the world, and there was no factory, in my estimation, putting out better pipes than your own Stanwell before their unfortunate relocation to Italy. If you can find some of them around, you will have yourself a great pipe. Barring that, Savinelli produces quite a few low-cost pipes that are well worth the money, although I'm unsure of the going rate for these pipes in Europe, so I can't give you a proper recommendation.
    Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by TommyTree View Post
    I find pipe tobacco much more flavorful and less subtle than shisha. But as is true in most areas of our hobby, different forms of tobacco just don't compare to each other. Cigars provide something much different than pipe tobacco, and it is detrimental to the experience to try to apply the expectations of one form of the leaf to another. If you like flavors, we can definitely provide recommendations (I like Two Friends English Chocolate, Peter Stokkebye Pistachio, and Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew), but you'll be disappointed if you expect them to give you the same experience as your hookah. Neither is better or worse, just very different.

As for a pipe, the Danes are some of the best carvers in the world, and there was no factory, in my estimation, putting out better pipes than your own Stanwell before their unfortunate relocation to Italy. If you can find some of them around, you will have yourself a great pipe. Barring that, Savinelli produces quite a few low-cost pipes that are well worth the money, although I'm unsure of the going rate for these pipes in Europe, so I can't give you a proper recommendation.
    Thanks for your elaborate response, it was very helpful! As to the tobacco part of the answer; If you say that the tobacco used in pipes are much more flavourful and less subtle then shisha then boy am I in for a treat! I too have trouble with getting the hang of subtle flavours, sometimes they're just too hidden for me to find them appealing.
    In response to your second answer, I would have to find a good (online) store to buy my pipe at. I have a fairly good store in the neighbour of my house so I'll go check that out and ask them for some more pipe-related advice!

Oh and if there's anything else that I'd HAVE to know about pipe smoking, please go ahead and point me in the right direction. For I am, as a noob, without direction when it comes to this topic!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

welcome to puff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix