Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello from Michigan

This is a discussion on Hello from Michigan within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hello, everyone. I've been smoking cigars for several years and decided to get into pipes a few months ago. So ...

Young Puffer Fish

Hello from Michigan

Hello, everyone. I've been smoking cigars for several years and decided to get into pipes a few months ago.

So far, so good. I'm really enjoying it, and got geared up pretty quickly in the last couple of months.

Right now my go-to tobacco is Mac Baren Navy Flake, which to my palate is of medium body and strength, kind of how I like my cigars. I enjoy it more and more as I'm getting better at packing and technique, not only with pipes in general but flakes in particular.

Right now I'm trying to experiment with different tobaccos. After trying some Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake, which I understand is only lightly cased with the Lakeland essence, I am absolutely positive that I am on the HATE side of the Lakeland fence. Soap soap soap.

Of the aromatics I've tried, my favorite is probably Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake. The tobacco flavor in that is foremost, and the vanilla is a complement to it. I just tried some C & D Autumn Evening, which I thought was just a little too much on its own, but I think it will make a great mixer; I have a feeling some rubbed out Mac B navy flake will go perfectly with some Autumn Evening. I'm about to order some Boswell's Chocolate Cream....sounds good and also another one I bet will mix well. I'm looking forward to trying Erinmore Flake, just because "juicy fruit" pipe tobacco sounds pretty strange but intriguing.

Another one of my favorites is Carter Hall. It's simple and one note, but damn it's good.

After doing some reading of reviews and checking out the forums, I decided to try S. Gawith 1792 flake. Let's just say it didn't agree with me. I don't doubt its quality, but to me it smelled like the bottom of a BBQ smoker and some sort of petroleum product. It irritated my throat and it was clear that it wasn't for me. After cracking the tin I've kept the contents in a Mason jar, and I only had one bowl out of it; if anyone wants to trade, let me know.

My next exploration will be Virginia tobaccos. I've had Mac Baren Virginia Flake, which I thought was good, but not very exciting. Does anyone have any recommendations of a straight Virginia to start with? GL Pease Union Square sounds pretty good...is that biting off too much to chew for a beginner?

I'll hold off on English mixtures till I get through the Virginias and then VaPers.

There's a ton of great info here, thanks to all the contributors.

Re: Hello from Michigan

Welcome to Puff!!

Seems to be a few Puffers from around your way.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Where in Michigan are you Chris?
    \
    And Welcome

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan_Moose View Post
    Where in Michigan are you Chris?
    \
    And Welcome
    Ferndale.

Howdy and welcome from another Michigan guy here.

Glad to have you.

Have you tried The Oakland? Cool little bar in Ferndale.

Best regards, Tony

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by aea6574 View Post
    Howdy and welcome from another Michigan guy here.

Glad to have you.

Have you tried The Oakland? Cool little bar in Ferndale.

Best regards, Tony
    Tony,

I have been there. I'm more of a beer drinker, so it wasn't really for me.

Beer and Cigars, gotta love it...

Krizzose when you are ready let me know and we will hang out and drink beer and smoke great cigars...

Moose

I personally love the GL Pease Union Square. I Also like the Sam Gawith Full Virginia flake. Well that is when I can get it. FVF seems almost impossible for me to find. I can also recommend trying Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, and Fribourg & Treyer Cut Blended Plug both are quite good, and, to me at least, very smooth smokes.

I also ran across a deal over at pipes and cigars a bit back, that to my opinion, is very good. I'll pass it along to you in case you are interested, here is a link. Sweet Virginia Combo Sampler

Also welcome to puff!!!

Young Puffer Fish

Moose: That would great

Beebo: Thanks, I'll check it out.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Welcome!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Sounds a lot like my story, Chris! You're more well on your way than I am, that's for sure. Good luck and enjoy the best forum on the internet!

Welcome Aboard Chris!
    Dale

Young Puffer Fish

Thought I'd check back in after a few more months of smoking and experimenting.

I finally tried a English blend a few months ago (Peterson's Old Dublin). After a couple of bowls, my first impression was that Latakia just wasn't for me. I think I'll try blends where Latakia is a little more in the background, possibly Plum Cake or something like that.

I've tried quite a few different blends, but these are the ones I tend to go back to the most:

Mac Baren Club Blend (probably my favorite at the moment)
    Mac Baren Navy Flake
    Mac Baren Vanilla Flake
    Escudo
    Orlik Golden Sliced

I don't own stock in Mac Baren, but their Navy Flake and Vanilla Flake were some of the first tobaccos I tried and I liked them, so I think I've been partial to the brand when trying new blends. I was a little worried when I cracked my first tin of Club Blend and there was a palpable campfire scent there which immediately reminded me of the Latakia I had recently tried and did not like. After further research, I found out it was dark fired Kentucky that gave off that scent. In any event, the wood smoke scent did not translate into the taste, which was very sweet and pleasant, with a solid tobacco flavor with nothing too harsh.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Fraze's Avatar

Howdy from Warren, MI!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

Pull up a chair Chris!
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie
    Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast