Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Hello

This is a discussion on Hello within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I am completely new to pipe smoking so new in fact I have yet to buy my first pipe. So ...

Newbie in the ocean

Hello

I am completely new to pipe smoking so new in fact I have yet to buy my first pipe. So i figured as part of my first post I would ask for some recommendation from you guys as to a good pipe for a starter I would like to add that I have very little money i can invest into this so a pipe somewhere around $20 would be best for me right now. However as a personal preference I am not a huge fan of how cobs look. I would like to thank anyone who takes the time to respond.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Re: Hello

Welcome aboard mate, honestly for $20 an MM cob is your best bet, although if you really want a briar some Dr Grabows are around the $20 mark and aren't bad smokers. Otherwise check out ebay you can get grubby estates for under $20 but depending on what's around your house you may need to spend more on supplies for restoration.

You're gonna need to practice packing, lighting, puffing, and for the price cobs are especially kind to noobs. Plus they smoke pretty good for the price.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

Newbie in the ocean

ok thanks for the advice I might start with a cob for now until I can afford a nicer pipe.

Andrew has it right. You need to get the basics down before you spend good money on pipe smoking which you may or may not enjoy. Bugger what people think, get a cob or two & try out this wonderful hobby. I hope you enjoy your journey & welcome to the forum.

"Just Smoked": Butternut Burley. Hmmm, time I revisited that wondrous blend.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Oh forgot to mention you can buy cobs with Forever Stems, I think the pipe with stem runs around the $20 mark and they do dress them up abit more.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Newbie in the ocean

thank you all for your advice I think that I will start off with a cob

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ten08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfcub123 View Post
    thank you all for your advice I think that I will start off with a cob
    The folks here won't steer you wrong. I've started with a cob as well (& loving it), and will focus on technique and learning the different tobacco types for now. Once I've found my groove, then I'll find a good briar to invest in.

Welcome to the Pipe Side James!

And.... I agree that cobs are a great starter pipe and also great for those not so new. Hell, cobs are just.... well, great.
    Dale

Welcome to Puff James
    Dafiddla
    "What Could be Finer, than a Spanish Cedar Liner?"

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Welcome

Young Fish

welcome, and with that budget cob or ebay will be your best friends