Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Back to the pipe...

This is a discussion on Back to the pipe... within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I started on tobacco when I was 18. I started with a pipe. Once I joined the Army Infantry I ...

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Back to the pipe...

I started on tobacco when I was 18. I started with a pipe. Once I joined the Army Infantry I was quickly steered to cigarettes. I still kept a few pipes and used 'em when I was off duty, but the majority of my smoking was cigarettes.

After eighteen years of tobacco use I wanted to quit nicotine, but it was SO hard! I quit cigs but smoked pipes exclusively for two and a half more years. Then I quit totally for the next nine and a half years.

A few months ago I impulse buyed a Macanudo cigar. I've had one or two good cigars a day for most days since. A week ago I bought a Dr Grabow and a yello-bole and have enjoyed an occasional bowl.

I'm quite experienced using a tobacco pipe. I can load a bowl in a few short seconds that will burn perfectly, and get through it with just one match. The mechanical side of smoking a pipe is easy and very familiar to me. I even used to make corncob pipes and sell 'em at the fleamarket when I was at the university. I have friends back in Texas that tell me they are still using them.

What I'm unfamiliar with is good pipe tobacco. My experience with pipe tobacco is limited to Captain Black, Smokers Pride, Borkum Riff, Velvet, etc. I've lived in the sticks by choice all my adult life. If I couldn't get it at a walgreens or a walmart, I couldn't get it. But today we have the internet, and it doesn't matter if I live in the sticks.

I'm hoping to learn from yall about the good stuff. I'm particularly interested in suggestion as to what are good examples of archtypes: Oriental, Virginia, English (or is English actually Oriental?), etc.

Re: Back to the pipe...

Welcome to the Pipe Side!

Being as I'm mostly a smoker of said "drug store" brands, I won't attempt to offer my suggestions on tobaccos. I enjoy many but don't know what your tastes are, but I'm sure many will offer fine choices for you. The search for the Holy Grail is indeed a noble quest.
    Dale

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Hannibal's Avatar

Mark, welcome back to the fold!!

I guess a question that comes to mind more than anything is what do you like in a tobacco? Meaning, stronger, fuller, different tastes etc. etc.

If you could answer that one then people might have a better idea what to recommend. Also a good way to try different tobacco's is to get hooked up in the noobie sampler trade for pipes. With this you will get quite a few samples of premium tobacco's to try out.
    My Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/hannibal
    Proud to have served 1988-2000 U.S. Army!!

Welcome to the slope sir!

My advice would be to join the newbie sampler trade and or check out some websites, such as pipesandcigars dot com for samplers (under pipe tobacco) that appeal to you. That's how I found my Voodoo Queen, the Southern Comfort Sampler. I love it.
    You might find that smoke blown out clears your mind of shadows within.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Welcome! I'll echo the sentiment that the newbie sampler trade would definitely suit you well.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Hitting the pipe now! I am a Cuban cigar smoker mainly but love the pipe as a change of pace!
    Marine deployed as RECON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So old habits die hard!
    Peace my brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Welcome back to the world of pipes, enjoy yourself!