Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Just got a pipe!! Now what?!?!?!

This is a discussion on Just got a pipe!! Now what?!?!?! within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hello all, Not new to the site, but I just recently got gifted a Pipe, pipe nail and some tobacco, ...

Alpha Puffer Fish

Just got a pipe!! Now what?!?!?!

Hello all,

Not new to the site, but I just recently got gifted a Pipe, pipe nail and some tobacco, just as I was finally figuring out cigars.
    I have smoked cigars for about 8 months now and I figured now I can widen the net to include all the wonderful tobacco's in the pipe world.
    Any recommendation would be appreciated, and I am sure I will poking around a lot to learn as much as I can.

My flavor profile that I like for cigars is as follows:

almond, cherry, citrus, coffee, earth, leather.
    I am not a fan of much of the pepper associated with full bodied cigars but for the most part, I like all the other flavors cigars have to offer.
    My wife seems to think pipe smoke smells better so she wants me to smoke stuff that "smells good" so any recommendations on that would very much be appreciated as well. Of course taste is paramount, with smelling good being a close second.

The goods:
    I was gifted a Dr. Graybow Grand Duke and a pipe nail along with some Prince Albert tobacco. I understand it is very mild but good for learning how to use the pipe.

Glad to be here! Great to meet you all, look forward to being a Pipe Brother of the leaf, whatever that is called, is it still a BOTL, or a BOTP?

Thanks,
    Brandon (aka Meatcake)
    Join the CRA: defend your cigar freedom!!
    Check out my Cigar Review podcast in its Audio format: http://calypsocigar.podomatic.com

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Re: Just got a pipe!! Now what?!?!?!

Well if your wife wants you to smoke "stuff that smells good" that rules out latakia blends... that is unless she enjoys the smells of bbq char and bloody nose... lol The only aromatics I've tried so far are CAO Eileen's Dream and Bob's Chocolate Flake. Both smell kinda like brownies baking and don't taste too shabby either. I would suggest though that you look into getting a Missouri Meerschaum cob for aromatics. As far as non-aros I'm afraid I won't be too much help with suggesting smell good stuff since I'm a latakia whore...
    Hangin' out with Friends

Welcome to the Pipe Side Brandon!

PA is a great tobacco to start with. It remains my "go to" as it's easy to load and light, and it just tastes good. You'll have to practice packing and smoking until it gets easy (and it will... promise), but any small effort will be greatly rewarded. It's not the simple "clip & light" as with cigars but once you find a tobacco or 6 that you really enjoy, you'll be asking yourself why you didn't pick up a pipe sooner. All the info you need is contained withing the threads on this one, truly Awesome site. Just read and read some more, and ask questions along the way.
    Dale

Puffer Fish with some spikes NovaBiscuit's Avatar

You should grab some wide mouth mason jars by the way. You'll be needing them real soon I reckon

MWM's King of Funk Brettanomyces's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NovaBiscuit View Post
    You should grab some wide mouth mason jars by the way. You'll be needing them real soon I reckon
    This is excellent advice. Brandon, I'm just the opposite; I've been into pipes, on and off, for a dozen years, and have only recently started in cigars. I've hardly had everything, but it's still my view that the overall spectrum of flavors in pipe tobacco far exceeds cigars (and I'm not even talking aromatic/infused stuff here). I could be wrong, of course, but that's my impression.

Can you name a few favorite cigars? You listed flavor profiles, which helps some, but knowing more what you like, how strong you like it, and that kind of thing may help with suggestions. A lot of people suggest going mild at first, but I'm of another mind - get too mild a tobacco, and the urge is to puff harder and faster to get flavor, which usually just ruins the experience. If you start with a medium to full blend, it's easier to learn the rhythm of piping (it's different than cigars, and a bit tougher to learn: think babying a lancero).

Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Brettanomyces View Post
    This is excellent advice. Brandon, I'm just the opposite; I've been into pipes, on and off, for a dozen years, and have only recently started in cigars. I've hardly had everything, but it's still my view that the overall spectrum of flavors in pipe tobacco far exceeds cigars (and I'm not even talking aromatic/infused stuff here). I could be wrong, of course, but that's my impression.

Can you name a few favorite cigars? You listed flavor profiles, which helps some, but knowing more what you like, how strong you like it, and that kind of thing may help with suggestions. A lot of people suggest going mild at first, but I'm of another mind - get too mild a tobacco, and the urge is to puff harder and faster to get flavor, which usually just ruins the experience. If you start with a medium to full blend, it's easier to learn the rhythm of piping (it's different than cigars, and a bit tougher to learn: think babying a lancero).
    Hmm..lets see:

mild: E.P. Carrillo new wave connecticut, Alec Bradley American Blend, DE Natural dirt torpedo, DE Tebak especial dulce con leche
    medium/full: Tatuaje Miami/J21/Havana VI, Liga Privada #9/undercrown/T-52/MUWAT, Alec Bradley Black Market/Tempus, Rocky Patel Vintage 92/90/Old World Reserve, Oliva V/G, Arturo Fuente Hemingway best seller/WOAM

That about covers it.
    Join the CRA: defend your cigar freedom!!
    Check out my Cigar Review podcast in its Audio format: http://calypsocigar.podomatic.com

MWM's King of Funk Brettanomyces's Avatar

PM sent

Newbie Sampler Trade for Pipes

Read it. Then do it.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

south of you

Keep smoking the Prince Albert, but when you want an aromatic that the lady will like I think one of your best bets is Dan Tobacco's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. It tastes good and smells great.

Welcome from a fellow Texan. Love the sig, btw. Prince Albert is also my go to. I'll experiment with the others if I have time, but my "Its three am and I can't go to bed for another two hours" smoke is PA. No fuss, packs easy, holds a light. Perfect for those mindless zombie times.
    I gotta start posting more...

AND... It tastes Yummy!
    Dale

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes cp478's Avatar

Read a lot here on puff and ask us lots of questions as you have troubles.
    Welcome onto the pipe slope!
    Corporal Punishment!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix