Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New from Iola

This is a discussion on New from Iola within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I am looking for a good pipe. I am very novice and only have one pipe I picked up from ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes USHOG's Avatar

New from Iola

I am looking for a good pipe. I am very novice and only have one pipe I picked up from the local tobacco storelast month. I do not know the brand but it doesnt seem to be worth anything. I had to tape the conection for it to even draw it was leaking so bad. Plus it makes the several tobaccos I have taste the same and it is not very good. My question is what is an inexpensive pipe that is good quality. I do not mind spending a little if it is worth the extra. By the way Hello everyone

Maturing Puffer Fish JohnnyDarkside's Avatar

Re: New from Iola

Hello and welcome!

Dr. Grabow makes some good, inexpensive pipes. You can also never go wrong with a cob. No need to rest, very inexpensive, no ghosting. I have a few, and keep one in my bag at all times.

Full grown Puffer Fish Mason16Filz's Avatar

^^^^^^ What he said!! Get a cob...or two
    #KL2154

What does rest and ghosting? I will look into those pipes Thank you for the information

Full grown Puffer Fish Mason16Filz's Avatar

Rest is letting the pipe fully cool and dry for a day or up to a few days...while a ghosting happens while u smoke a certain blend one time then a diff blend the next and u taste last times blend in ur pipe. Ex. Smoking a cherry aromatic then smoking an english next time...which leads the english to have hints of cherry.

Cobs do not ghost and do not need rest...good for trying out a new blend of tobacco!!
    #KL2154

Thank you for the informatiom

It looks like I can get this pipe in town.

Welcome to Puff!

Yup the cob pipe is the way to gets your hands dirty. I am new myself, and learning quite a bit from these cats!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Welcome to Puff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Welcome to Puff! I got a few MM cobs to start out. So far so good. And the price is unbeatable

Glad to have you here at Puff!

I just got a new pipe and all I can say I was in the dark. Instead of puffing and puffing and very little smoke and almost driving me crazy I now can make clouds of smoke with ease. Thanks again for all of the welcomes and advise.

Welcome!

The advice you are getting already is all good. You will want to work on the basic technique and worry about nothing else. There is a lot of stuff you will hear about ghosting, cake, cleaning, etc. but none of it really will matter at first. Get a half decent pipe (cob is more than fine, I'm told) and (I would advise) a relatively basic, forgiving blend. There are several over the counter blends in the US that are generally recommended for this. Easy to smoke and less prone to the dreaded tongue bite (which everyone suffers at first and after sometimes.) Ask and the more local people will advise. There is a new piper tobacco trade scheme that you can make use of to get a lot of different tobaccos to try without having to buys a lot of full tins. The thread should be easy to find. My own advice is to maybe hold off a bit until you get your own technique sorted a bit using one tobacco, but many have dived right in without any problems. Just stick with it and the flavours will start to appear for you -things can taste much of a muchness until the basics are in place well enough for you to be able to detect things; even the "simple" OTC blends can give much pleasure and many very experienced smokers use them regularly.

Enjoy!
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Thanks for the explanation

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

Welcome to Puff friend! Wanna read this?l
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

update.. I recieved the corncob pipe a few days ago. It took me 3 or 4 times packing it to get it to burn correctly, but I finally got to smoke some tobacco that was very enjoyable...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast