Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Captain black isn't so bad...

This is a discussion on Captain black isn't so bad... within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Well, I'm new to pipe smoking. I've smoked a few cigars in the past, but they get expensive really fast ...

Red face Captain black isn't so bad...

Well, I'm new to pipe smoking. I've smoked a few cigars in the past, but they get expensive really fast so I decided to give this a shot. I've been enjoying it so far, despite the best tobacco at the local head shop being captain black. I got the gold blend. At first, it just tasted like warm air, then by the third bowl, I actually started tasting something and by the fifth, it was moderately enjoyable. I'll have to order some better stuff in a few weeks, but this should do until then.

Greetings all.

Full grown Puffer Fish Mason16Filz's Avatar

Re: Captain black isn't so bad...

Its decent to start smoking with but when u get to trying better tobaccos it opens your eyes to better things

I prolly will never go back to OTC because of the lack of taste and the tongue bite.
    #KL2154

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Welcome to Puff!!!
    Captain Black was the first tobacco i tried as well!
    I liked it as well as Half and Half and Sugar Barrel.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Welcome Tulpa! I recently just joined as well. A lot of great info on these boards. As for CB, it's not in my initial tobacco purchase but in time I'm sure I'll come across it.

Puffer Fish with many spikes mturnmm's Avatar

Sign up for the newbie trade for pipes....it will given samples of quite a few quality tobaccos.
    Here's to us and those like us!
    God Bless our Troops...especially our Snipers!

Quote Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post
    At first, it just tasted like warm air, then by the third bowl, I actually started tasting something and by the fifth, it was moderately enjoyable.
    Yeah, that's the way it was for me as well. First couple of bowls did nothing but warm my tongue..
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by mturnmm View Post
    Sign up for the newbie trade for pipes....it will given samples of quite a few quality tobaccos.
    This will help you a ton. Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by mturnmm View Post
    I checked that out, but there isn't anywhere locally (within 100 miles or so) that would carry anything worth trading, so I was planning on just ordering a fair variety of bulk tobaccos that interested me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post
    I checked that out, but there isn't anywhere locally (within 100 miles or so) that would carry anything worth trading, so I was planning on just ordering a fair variety of bulk tobaccos that interested me.
    Could be worse, you could live in Canada and have few Tobacconists and really high prices. Tobacco Pipes, Smoking Pipes, Estate Pipes & Pipe Tobacco at Smoking Pipes .com , Cigars, Pipes, Pipe Tobacco, and Smoking Accessories at PipesandCigars.com and 4noggins.com are all great online vendors. There are others, but those are the most popular choices. The Newbie sampler only costs you a tin or two (plus shipping), depending on what size of sampler you agree to with your EPS. From my point of view there is no better way to try so many different tobaccos for so little money (legally anyhow). To me it was a no-brainer, I signed up as soon as I knew all the particulars and ensured that us Canucks were eligible. If you have any questions about it, ask away, I will answer what I can and besides me there are so many helpful, generous and friendly people on this forum.

Back to the original topic. CBW was THE tobacco that I purchased with my first MM (corn cob) Legend. I got a pouch, the pipe, a czech tool, a small box of matches and a sample pack of MacBaren pipe cleaners for just over $50. The Captain Black was about $26. Now for that same $26, you could probably participate in the Newbie trade and expect to receive over 100 grams of tobacco, likely in at least a dozen varieties. Back to the topic again, CBW was a decent smoke and I will probably buy it again. However I just tried a sample of Lane's 1Q (Lane makes CB) and it is a similar product, although in my opinion subtly different and better to my taste. I was planning to order a small amount to try anyhow, but a member here beat me to the punch and told me to sample something different. You see he had already put a small sample for me in the mail...

Read more on my Bomb and impressions of 1Q here:

Rookie Bombed Before His Own Ammunition Stocks Even Arrived

Maturing Puffer Fish JohnnyDarkside's Avatar

Can't say I've tried CB yet, but I did hit up the Scandinavian free sample, and waiting for a sample of Troost. For a while, I was rolling my own cigarettes, I used Borkum Riff Burbon. Thought it was really good. Was stronger (for a cig), but smooth. A hell of a lot better than just a pack of Marl's or Camel's. My first purchases were from a B&M. One I really liked, the other was way too strong and had a wicked tongue bite. Every pull felt like a punch in the mouth. Split it 50/50 with H&H Burley Kake, and it's turned out really good.

I've signed up for the trade, and eagerly awaiting my samples. It's only about $10 and you get quite a few samples. How could you go wrong?

I know what you mean John. I too am currently trading and can't wait to see what my surprises will be. You can even opt for a larger trade if you are really interested in getting a larger assortment of things to try. I requested this and my EPS (Experienced Pipe Smoker [for the newbs]) was willing, so my mailbox is about to have its door blown off its hinges! My EPS kindly requested a single tin of a unique sounding tobacco in the 200g size, so I just can't wait to see the size of the crater surrounding my mailbox soon.

For the info of other newbies that are hesitant or unsure about this NST (Newbie Sampler Trade for Pipes), typically the Newbie Sampler Trade does uses the 50g - $10ish dollars (Regular Sampler) or 100g - $20ish dollars (Large Sampler) The Large option being at the discretion and agreement of both parties. It is also a one time thing too, meaning an NPS (New Pipe Smoker) can only participate as a NPS one time. EPS' can (and often do, serially) participate as many times as they want. An NPS can become an EPS, just not immediately. One has to hone their tastes and develop some "street cred" on here for a while it appears.

Oh yeah, right CWB... For $5 more than I paid for my first tobacco, a pouch of CBW, I can participate in a gargantuan NST.

Maturing Puffer Fish Pipe Pastor's Avatar

welcome!!!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Derrick_Y's Avatar

Welcome to puff! There are very few communities online as welcoming and generous as these guys.

CBW was my first tobacco and I still enjoy it. Like ChakaRaka buying anything OTC costs me an arm and a leg and then some. So I have given up on my local BM shops and strictly mail order