Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

New From North Florida

This is a discussion on New From North Florida within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Greetings from Florida! I am very new to pipe smoking. A friend gave me a corn cob pipe he made ...

Newbie in the ocean

New From North Florida

Greetings from Florida!

I am very new to pipe smoking. A friend gave me a corn cob pipe he made about 2-3 months ago and I have given it a few tries, receiving a burned tongue each time. I am now doing some reading before making my first purchase of a pipe and some different tobacco.

I have been a cigar smoker for about 15 years and enjoy 1-2 per week. I usually wait until I can get together with a friend because that is more enjoyable for me. I am hoping that the pipe will be a little easier to smoke alone to relax with for shorter periods of time in the afternoon or evening.

I've learned a lot from the forums here and am looking forward to learning more.

Thanks again!

Re: New From North Florida

Welcome to the gang, Bill! It's a fun place to hang.
    ********.com

Welcome to puff!

Lots of folks here moved from cigars to pipes for some of the very reasons you mention - you'll be in good company here.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Welcome to Puff!! As a starter tobacco, try some English blend tobacco. Less likely to bite your tongue. Even try to dry the tobacco you have out a little. For me anyways, drier tobacco seems less likely to bite.

Only occasionally, do I smoke aromatic tobacco as it almost always seems to bite.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Welcome to Puff! So many great threads with great info.

Welcome!

As a cigar smoker drifting across to the pipe side you are in very good company. Stick at it and the technique will come and the burned tongue will be a memory - mostly. Some tobaccos are more prone to this and it happens to everyone, regardless of experience. At least it happens to me. Some of the US OTC blends are very forgiving; I think Prince Albert is recommended by many as a starter tobacco for this reason. You more local new friends are better placed to comment. Ask and they will surely answer.

Enjoy!
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Full grown Puffer Fish Mason16Filz's Avatar

Welcome to Puff
    #KL2154

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

WELCOME TO PUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Newbie in the ocean

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone!

I just placed my first order to try some new things. I got:

Peterson Irish Flake
    Dunhill Royal Yaght
    Escudo Navy Deluxe

along with a pipe tool, corn cob pipes, cleaners, etc.

Can't wait to get my package to give them a try.

Thanks again for all the help!

Welcome to Puff, Bill. That's a nice order you made. All good tobaccos IMHO. When you are ready, head over to the newbie sampler trade and sign up. We'll pair you up with a more experienced piper and you can try a bunch of other things.

Maturing Puffer Fish JohnnyDarkside's Avatar

Tongue bite and constant relights are some of the biggest problems. Definitely an art to smoking, but there's the fun: an excuse to smoke more often!