Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just finished my first bowl, and thought I would say hello.

This is a discussion on Just finished my first bowl, and thought I would say hello. within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I started getting into cigars about 3 months ago. After seeing how much money I was dropping on my new ...

Thumbs up Just finished my first bowl, and thought I would say hello.

I started getting into cigars about 3 months ago. After seeing how much money I was dropping on my new hobby, my accountant (read: wife) suggested that maybe I might enjoy trying a pipe. Of course, not being one to pass up on a new experience, I went right ahead and ordered a cob pipe sampler from CI: Two cobs, (made in china ) a can of Sutliff Golden Age, a pouch each of Sir Walter Raleigh, and Captain Black Cherry, 3 piece pipe tool, and some cleaners.

I couldn't decide which to try first, but I went with the Golden Age. Packed a bowl according to instructions I found here on the forums, and went to town.

Man, that was enjoyable! No bite, (well, a little when I pushed it so I would know what it was), 2 or 3 relights, nice easy smoke. I find the smoking rhythm of the pipe fits much nicer with how I want to smoke as compared to a cigar.

Now I have a dilemma: do I continue with the "Golden Age" for a few bowls to get a good feel for it and have a basis from which to compare the others, or just try them all back to back. (well, not literally, a few breaks in between.)

Anyway, thought I would say hello here on the pipe side of things, and that thanks to the info here my first smoke was a great experience. I am looking forward to more!

Re: Just finished my first bowl, and thought I would say hello.

HA! Seems the Made in China corn cob was just as high quality as most other things MIC. Busted one just cleaning it. I think tomorrow I will head out and find myself a quality MM cob.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

Welcome to Puff!!
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Full grown Puffer Fish Mason16Filz's Avatar

Welcome to Puff
    #KL2154

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoodwillTKE View Post
    HA! Seems the Made in China corn cob was just as high quality as most other things MIC. Busted one just cleaning it. I think tomorrow I will head out and find myself a quality MM cob.
    Welcome to PUFF, your wife has a good head on her shoulders not many would suggest try a pipe. Most of them would try to put you on a budget or stop entirely.

As for your M.I.C. pipes, watch this video. Pay close attention to the 5 min. 10 sec. section.
    Last edited by OnePyroTec; 02-02-2013 at 07:49 PM.

LOL yeah, I was pretty disappointed when I opened my package and saw the MIC label. I originally looked at a starter set that came with 3 MM cobs and 1 type of tobacco, but I thought a wider selection of tobacco would be better to start with. Should have knew something was up when they didn't mention the brand in the started sampler I got. Oh well, still got a decent deal for $20. I should be able to find a better cob at a local shop.

Thanks for the link though, nice video.

I'll tell ya what, for something as highly recommended as a MM cob, they are hard suckers to find. Checked 5 tobacco stores today, everything form corner discount joint to "look at our fancy place" smoke shops. Can't find one anywhere, nothing but MIC cobs and $70+ briars. Guess I'll have to order one online.

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

try a Walgreens drug store or Rite Aid...they should have a cheap cob to get started.

Welcome to Puff! They should have em at either Walgreens or CVS. Cobs are great to start out. I'm learning a lot. Happy hunting.

Spot on with the drug store suggestion, they had them at the first one. And wow, what a different experience with a quality cob!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodwillTKE View Post
    Adam,
    CI has an amazing customer service department. I would recommend contacting them about the broken pipe.
    Welcome to Puff.

Maturing Puffer Fish JohnnyDarkside's Avatar

If you're talking about the P&C sampler, I got that myself. I have a straight cob for kicking around the basement/yard and keep a bent in my bag for a daily piece. That burley kake is good stuff.

Welcome!

Young Fish

MIC cobs suck! The bowls are pretty tiny and the quality is just crap. Its hard to beat a missouri meerschaum legend. I sound like a broken record because I keep recommending it but MM has a seconds grab bag for 29.00 +shipping. You can get a good bunch of cobs to try.

I have seen that mentioned several times around here. Probably going to order a bag this weekend. Now that it is starting to warm up a bit, I have been smoking more frequently. Much more relaxing in the back yard in a nice coat instead of huddled in the garage wrapped in carharts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast