Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Hello from Denver!

This is a discussion on Hello from Denver! within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hello, Pipers! I'm new to smoking, new to pipes, and new to this forum. Couch_Incident is a friend of mine ...

Hello from Denver!

Hello, Pipers!

I'm new to smoking, new to pipes, and new to this forum. Couch_Incident is a friend of mine from a totally unrelated forum, and suggested I check it out.

I grew up among teetotalers - no drinking, no smoking, and I don't think I ever saw my parents dance, although that wasn't strictly forbidden. I also grew up thinking that my paternal grandfather (a smoker) had died of lung cancer, and when my father (not a smoker, but grew up around it) likewise died of a lung ailment (pulmonary fibrosis), I resolved to make sure I kept my lungs in good shape. Not that they were in bad shape - I was in marching band all through high school, rode my bicycle everywhere while in college, and continue to ride and do cardio at the gym during the sloppy season.

But then I found out that my grandfather had actually died of a heart attack. Still could be related - but when I found out that pipe smoking (and cigar smoking) don't necessarily involve actual inhaling, I got a little curious. A friend of mine picked up a pipe while we were doing a writing retreat, and it was really quite nice to sit out on the porch while he puffed away. So I went and did some homework, and then bought a Bjarne Viking Classic sitter and some tobacco (aromatic house blend from the store I bought the pipe at).

That was in December. In the meantime, my pipe "collection" now includes a second Bjarne Viking Classic (a churchwarden), a bag of seconds from Missouri Meerschaum, and several 2 oz. samples of various aromatic and English blends, which I'm finally getting the hang of packing and lighting correctly. Now I just need to slow down and let my tongue heal...

Anyway - Couch posted a cigar pic, I commented on it regarding my new pipe habit, and we wound up chatting for a while about pipes, tobacco, and this forum. So here I am, finally logged in and registered, working on my initial post count.

Phred

Re: Hello from Denver!

Welcome to Puff, Fred! Anyone that's a friend of Couch is a friend of ours.

I lived in Denver for awhile and absolutely loved it. Lots to do, especially outdoors. Most people think cold and snow, but I remember the sun shining on most days. Although my son and I took a snowmobiling trip to grand lake this past December and it was -17 in the mornings up on the mountain.

Hi, Dan!

We do get a lot of sun in Colorado. It took some getting used to, as I grew up in Seattle, which is pretty much the opposite in terms of amount of sunlight per year.

I do have to admit - I'm looking forward to the higher temperatures in late spring and early summer. I only smoke outdoors (or at a lounge), so there have been a few days lately where I simply chose to forego a smoke rather than deal with weather and temperature issues.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Welcome Fred enjoy the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Welcome Fred!

Welcome, Phred; that's my favorite name! Stuff and bowl and come chat in the "lounges," Morning, Afternoon and Tonight!

My grandpapa was also a heavy lifetime pipe and cigar smoker, and died at 97. Pulmonary Fibrosis is usually caused by an autoimmune disorder. As a severe asthmatic who could never be within a mile of a cigarette, is was always surprising to me that good pipe/cigar had no effect. Since smoking them, I've learned of their benefits to my condtion!

Happy puffing!

No longer a community member.

Hi Phred- I lost a step-parent to lung cancer and so I too was stand-offish about smoking, but I observed the same thing you did regarding inhaling vs. not-inhaling. I also took note of the additives present in cigarettes compared to how pipe tobacco is processed. I have been smoking pipes for around seven years now and along the way I've actually become more physically active- moving from just cycling to running ultra-marathons. If the proof of the pudding is in the eating, then piping has not treated me too badly. That said, I rarely smoke more than a bowl a day but I never miss a day. You certainly picked out a nice pipe to start with- I began puffing on a $20 Dr. Grabow

Welcome to Puff, Fred!

While no-one should try to make out that any form of smoking is exactly healthy, pipe and cigars are certainly the lesser evils compared with cigarettes. 30 odd years ago, I read in "Pipe Smoker's Welcome" - a British trade sponsored magazine - that pipe smokers lived a little longer on average than the general populous. Brass instrument playing, though... I read that brass players (trumpet in particular - the strain of the high ranges?) were prone to lung complaints including cancers. Maybe give that up to concentrate on the healthier pipe smoking. (Might have something to do with all the time spent in smokey Juke Joints. Good fun.)
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Young Fish

hello there