Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Hello from Minneapolis!..... and also Chicago depending on the time of year

This is a discussion on Hello from Minneapolis!..... and also Chicago depending on the time of year within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hi guys, I'm pretty new to Puff and Pipes in general, but I've been smoking Cigars for just over a ...

Newbie in the ocean

Hello from Minneapolis!..... and also Chicago depending on the time of year

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to Puff and Pipes in general, but I've been smoking Cigars for just over a year. I just purchased my first pipe and I'd love to get some advice on what tobaccos I should try. As a college student, my budget is fairly limited, so if anyone knows of the best way to get the most bang for my buck I would be in your debt.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

Re: Hello from Minneapolis!..... and also Chicago depending on the time of year

Welcome to Puff, I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice here.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

No longer a community member.

Several online sellers will offer "sampler" packs which are a great way to try different tobacco on the cheap. If you have a local smokeshop they will generally sell their bulk by the oz (about ten pipes worth) for a reasonable cost. If you just want a good smoke that is inexpensive and aren't worried about the variety I would recommend you try Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, of Captain Black. PA is a nice cheap smoke that I was recently introduced to, and the others are affordable aromatics that I consider decent. Just remember that even the more expensive blends (maybe $15 for 50g) are giving you more bang for your buck than say cigarettes. I get 15-20 bowls out of a 50g tin and each bowl lasts 45min-1hr. That is a lot more enjoyment than would be found in cigarette land for the same admission price

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Welcome Joe!
    I am a long time cigar smoker but short time pipe smoker!
    Many drug store blends are a great value IMHO.
    Captain Black, Half and Half, Sugar Barrel come to mind!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Welcome!

If you're new to pipe smoking, my advice is to get one easy to smoke, over the counter, pouch tobacco and work out your technique before moving on to the "interesting stuff". With the basics in place (packing, lighting, tamping and... smoking) you'll be much better placed to work out what you enjoy than if you dive straight in. My understanding is that Prince Albert is a good place to start in the US. Available in many places, easy to smoke and a "real" tobacco that many much more experienced pipe smokers use and enjoy regularly. There is a lot to get used to but take it slow at all points (particularly the smoking) and everything will come together pretty quickly.

You said that you've bought your first pipe - you'll also need a couple of other things; matches or non torch lighter (torch or jet lighters produce too hot a flame and may damage your pipe), pipe cleaners and a tamper of some sort. Most anything that has a flat end, fits in the pipe and doesn't burn will do. A "Pipe Nail" is the inexpensive tool of choice. An ordinary, large flat headed nail will also do. As will a stick. Lots of advice and videos on t'Internet out there on the basics, but please do ask if you want any advice.

There is a thread on this forum for new pipers to trade for a selection of more interesting tobaccos, but I think that a little time spent with a very basic, forgiving blend will help you avoid the horror of a scorched tongue and set you up to be able to appreciate those tobaccos better when you feel ready.

Enjoy!
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Welcome from northern IN! I was in the same place a few months ago. Carter Hall worked for me. Less than $5 a pouch. I also had good luck with the Hearth and Home sampler (5-6 2oz samples). But still working through one bowl at a time. My only advice, from one newbie to another, is patience. And enjoy!

Newbie in the ocean

Thanks for your response, I started with a pouch of Prince Albert (and many jokes with my buddy working at the shop). Thanks for the advice on the tools, I only have the torch lighter, so I've been using matches. The tamper i definitely need, my pack tends to be a bit on the loose end. Thanks again for your help! I'll definitely be around the forums regularly.

Newbie in the ocean

Thanks for advice, I'll give Carter Hall a try. Also, I'm guessing from your picture that you're an Indiana fan, so let this golden gopher congratulate you on a great basketball season so far. Big Ten is kicking ass.

Newbie in the ocean

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely check those out.

Young Fish

welcome!!!