Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Hello! From a New Pipe Smoker in Michigan

This is a discussion on Hello! From a New Pipe Smoker in Michigan within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hello all, I have been lurking on the various pipe forums for a few days and figured I'd finally register. ...

Young Fish

Hello! From a New Pipe Smoker in Michigan

Hello all,

I have been lurking on the various pipe forums for a few days and figured I'd finally register. Started smoking pipes a few days ago with a Dr. Grabow Omega and MM Cob, along with the Victory Lap Sampler (Butternut Burley, Larry's Blend, Anniversary Kake, and Trout Stream). It's been a little rocky of a start, but I think I'm making some small progress as the days/bowls go on.

If anyone has tips on other tobaccos to try and methods to make the packing/lighting process easier and/or more consistent (I like the Trout Stream and Butternut Burley so far - both have a good flavor when I get the pack/lighting right. Not crazy about Larry's Blend, and haven't tried Anniversary Kake yet), I'd love to hear them!

Glad to be here; this seems like a great forum!
    Keith

Young Fish

Re: Hello! From a New Pipe Smoker in Michigan

Welcome from another Michigander!

Young Fish

Thanks! This forum seems pretty awesome so far - lots of useful info! Any recommendations of pipe and tobacco shops/events in Michigan?

Curmudgeon in training. jdhollyfield's Avatar

If you search this forum there are several threads about properly packing a pipe. It is paramount to proper enjoyment of the hobby. There are also several good vids on youtube about proper packing.

Welcome to the forum.

Young Fish

Thanks, Jonathan. I have been trying the 1/2, 3/4, full method, but apparently have only gotten it right maybe once or twice. I'll check out some videos and threads and see if I come across something new.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

Welcome to Puff Keith! Packing a pipe can become a personal thing, try different methods and see what you like best.
    Myself I like the way my grandfather packed his, first half gently then second half tighter. take a quick puff to see if the
    draw is what you like and adjust accordingly. Has worked for me for years.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Welcome!

Clearly, you need one of these. I LOVE paraphernalia.

Attachment 75823Attachment 75824
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Welcome!

Clearly, you need one of these. I LOVE paraphernalia.

Attachment 75823Attachment 75824
    That pipe filler looks awesome! May have to look around for one, haha.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

WELCOME TO PUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

No longer a community member.

Welcome to the Forums! My wife hails from the fine state of Michigan- just about an hour from you in Jackson. I enjoy visiting up there from time to time. As far as trying new tobaccos, I suggest buying some sampler packs offline. You usually get 1 oz of 6-8 varieties. It's just enough to let you figure out if you want to buy more.

Young Fish

hello mate