Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Veteran Cigar Smoker, New to Pipes

This is a discussion on Veteran Cigar Smoker, New to Pipes within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I bought my first pipe this past weekend. A $10 corncob pipe (gotta start somewhere, ya know?). I do like ...

Maturing Puffer Fish bundy81881's Avatar

Veteran Cigar Smoker, New to Pipes

I bought my first pipe this past weekend. A $10 corncob pipe (gotta start somewhere, ya know?).

I do like the idea of trying out pipes when I don't have a huge amount of time. Since I am brand new to this, I don't really know much about who is good and who is not. I found a $7 tin of some Davidoff pipe tobacco which I got. And since Davidoff is good in cigars I assume they are good for pipes too.

Perhaps does anyone have a good web link that I could go to in order to get a good 101 on pipes and get an idea on a good brand or sampler I should look into?

Re: Veteran Cigar Smoker, New to Pipes

Search through the pipe forum here, tons and tons of information

If you're looking for a good sampler, I recommend going over to the general pipe forum and trying out the new pipe smoker trade. It's a great way to get a variety of samples.

I'll be honest, I've only had one Davidoff pipe tobacco and I was seriously underwhelmed. Although, for the first couple of weeks, the blend you choose really isn't that important as you'll be spending your time trying to iron out the kinks in your piping technique.
    ********.com

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Welcome!
    I am long time cigar smoker as well i dabble in the pipe especially in the winter months.
    I like Smoking pipes, Cup of Joes, 4 Noggins the best!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Welcome!

I understand that the New Pipe Smoker Trade is a really good way to get a diverse set of samples quickly and inexpensively. However, I recommend that you get yourself a pouch of "well behaved", easy to smoke, over the counter tobacco to hone your technique before you dive into those tobaccos. Although not one I have access to, Prince Albert is recommended by many as a good starter tobacco which is still appreciated by the "expert". Inexpensive and readily available. Expect a lot of "failures" before you get things just right. Pipe tobacco can be unpleasant or downright painful when things go wrong. (The dreaded tongue bite... This is more likely with highly flavoured "Aromatic" tobaccos which smell so inticing; they need to be carefully smoked.) It tends to take a little while before technique catches up and allows you to assess what you like in a tobacco and even get much taste at all. Stick with it, things will sort themselves out eventually. Some take to it easily, other take some time. The rewards are worth it. Lots of advice on the forum on technique or just ask.

I like a few of the Davidoff tobaccos and smoke them fairly regularly (Medallion Flake; Red Mixture). Just shows that taste is very individual in pipe tobacco. Hugh Hefner smoked the much reviled Mixture 79 exclusively. Ever seen him without a smile on his face?

Enjoy!

No longer a community member.

Welcome to the pipe side of the world. Most online sellers offer sampler packs where you get 1 or 2 ounces of several blends. You can typically purchase by type (aromatics, English, etc). That's a great way to sample on the cheap.