Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Greetings from Georgia!

This is a discussion on Greetings from Georgia! within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I just introduced myself on the "New Puffer Fish Forum," but honestly I may be in need of the Pipe ...

Greetings from Georgia!

I just introduced myself on the "New Puffer Fish Forum," but honestly I may be in need of the Pipe fora more! I'm a student at UGA and I live in Athens, GA. I recently got into pipe smoking once I got my meerschaum, but now I'm looking for a briar to make it official.

I'm still a complete novice, though. My B&M basically told me that I was a n00b once he learned that I'm going through the Altadis "bulk" aromatics and have yet to buy a real tin. Well I've been browsing these fora for a while and needed to make an introduction, so here we are!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ten08's Avatar

Re: Greetings from Georgia!

Hello Wade! Welcome to Puff from South GA

I still consider myself new to pipe smoking, and am also waiting for the right briar to "speak to me." In the meantime, I'm content with my cobs and meer. You'll find lots of interesting, knowledgeable folks here on the pipe side. Enjoy!

No longer a community member.

to the forum. A meer is a great way to start because in my years of smoking I have never been able to over-heat one (unlike plenty of briars).

GO DAWGS!

Don't let them knock the bulk altadis blends if you like them. 1Q is pretty good! I have been known to smoke a bowl of CB white on occasion as well. Welcome to the forum!

Definitely get a briar. And if you're living in the dorms, put that meer away for later in life! I still relive the trauma of my calabash crashing to the floor, shattering the bowl my freshman year at Georgia Southern. And that was so long ago they didn't even have a football team...
    ********.com

Puffer Fish with many spikes GoJohnnyGo's Avatar

Welcome!

Puffer Fish with many spikes GoJohnnyGo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Definitely get a briar. And if you're living in the dorms, put that meer away for later in life! I still relive the trauma of my calabash crashing to the floor, shattering the bowl my freshman year at Georgia Southern. And that was so long ago they didn't even have a football team...
    GSU!!!

Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar

Greetings and welcome! The pipe info here is amazing. I have been smoking pipes and cigars for 40 years and learned a ton of stuff here. Read all you can -- especially the "Stickies" on pipes. The info there is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Catiline View Post
    I just introduced myself on the "New Puffer Fish Forum," but honestly I may be in need of the Pipe fora more! I'm a student at UGA and I live in Athens, GA. I recently got into pipe smoking once I got my meerschaum, but now I'm looking for a briar to make it official.

I'm still a complete novice, though. My B&M basically told me that I was a n00b once he learned that I'm going through the Altadis "bulk" aromatics and have yet to buy a real tin. Well I've been browsing these fora for a while and needed to make an introduction, so here we are!

Thanks for the welcomes, guys! Luckily I am now out of the dorms and into an apartment. Still don't have the pleasure of being able to smoke inside... yet. I'll have to check out the 1Q, I hear that it is an extremely popular smoke. Since I've decided on a briar, smooth or rusticated? I definitely prefer the look of the former, do the rusticated ones really protect from heat that much more?

Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar

IMO -- As to smooth or rusticated -- it doesn't make all that great of a difference. A good pipe won't over heat. That said -- it has a lot to do with how you moke it. The harder and more frequently you puff -- the hotter it will become. This can also give you a "bite" on your tongue. If it gets too hot -- put it down for a bit and relight it. You should be able to hold the bowl to your cheek and not feel a burning sensation.

IMO -- smoking a pipe is a relaxing thing and slow puffs -- almost sipping if you will -- will give you a nice smooth relaxing smoke.

As to the 1Q I have smoked it for years and love it. However I encourage you to talk with Probate Geek prior to puschasing any. I think he has a dislike for it. (The Probate Geek remark is meant as humor.) All the best ito you in your new endeavor. May you enjoy it for many years to come.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Welcome to the pipe side of puff!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix