Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Greetings from Norway!

This is a discussion on Greetings from Norway! within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hello! I'm a 22 year old jazz guitarist from Norway, a country right beside Denmark, which I suspect is a ...

Greetings from Norway!

Hello! I'm a 22 year old jazz guitarist from Norway, a country right beside Denmark, which I suspect is a known country for pipe smokers. I'm new at pipe smoking, started in the end of May, but am enjoying it so far!

I started with Caledonian Highland Cream (by A&C Pedersen), and recently purchased a tin of McClelland's Town Topic, which in my opinion is great stuff!
    Pipe-wise, I started off with a Lorenzo bent Spitfire briar pipe, which I really like, and actually, I just ordered a Savinelli Trevi 602 (smooth) from the site "Smokingpipes". Really excited about the new one, as I have heard great things about Savinelli.

So far, I've had an easy start smoking pipes. In fact, I haven't had so much trouble beside a few tongue burns, and that one time when I got sick after doing two bowls kind of quickly after one another. I'm learning!

What else? Oh, I don't always play jazz music. I enjoy pop and rock as well, and currently am about to start the last year of a bachelors degree in rhythmic music.

Sincerely,
    Captain Koala.

PS. Watch out for typos! I'm often on my iPad, and english is my second language

Re: Greetings from Norway!

Welcome to the board, Frank! While I don't play jazz guitar, I'm always willing to listen. Though admittedly, if you're a purist, you probably wouldn't be impressed-I'm more into Pat Metheny than Wes Montgomery, I'm afraid.
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Welcome to the board, Frank! While I don't play jazz guitar, I'm always willing to listen. Though admittedly, if you're a purist, you probably wouldn't be impressed-I'm more into Pat Metheny than Wes Montgomery, I'm afraid.
    Thank you! Metheny is indeed good stuff, and has been a favorite for many years :-) I'll probably never get over the album "Bright Size Life", and I also like the "newer" sound on Metheny Groups "Speaking of now".

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKoala View Post
    Pipe-wise, I started off with a Lorenzo bent Spitfire briar pipe...

...Watch out for typos! I'm often on my iPad, and english is my second language
    Welcome! It's nice to have another non-US member on the forum; we're a rare breed.

I've got a couple of Lorenzo pipes. I didn't realise they were still made (guess I should have checked.) Nice chunky pipes, but the ones I've got have a lot of fills. That used to be a "feature" of them. Years ago, they were very popular with students for some reason.

I wouldn't worry about English being your second language. The first language around here is often Gibberish. Mine is.

There are a lot of very friendly and experienced pipe smokers on the forum. Any questons - just ask.

Welcome and ENJOY!
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Puffer Fish with many spikes JKlavins's Avatar

Welcome! I recently joined as well, born in the US but raised and 100% Latvian. My recent surge into pipes was fueled by reminiscing about the great smells provided by Latvian grandfathers smoking pipes. I think a good way to prevent tongue burn is to take your time and not smoke it too fast, do the cheek check (if the pipe is too warm against your cheek, slow down and let it cool for a minute). Let's get to talking about the awesome tobaccos available on "the other side of the pond"! Cheers!!

Thank you all! Good to know I'm not the only european guy around here. I especially liked the tip about the cheek check, wil be using it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I've got a couple of Lorenzo pipes. I didn't realise they were still made (guess I should have checked.) Nice chunky pipes, but the ones I've got have a lot of fills. That used to be a "feature" of them. Years ago, they were very popular with students for some reason.
    That's interesting! My Lorenzo was affordable, and a good looking one. The store I bought it in is an old store, so I guess it could have been there for a few years.

Koalas in Norway? What is the world coming to? LOL. Welcome aboard mate, enjoy your time here.

Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Haha! Good one :-)
    I'm a big fan of Koalas, they seem to be relaxed little fellows just hanging around. Haven't seen one in real life yet.
    I believe "Captain Koala" is an old, forgotten Australian comic book series?

Haha! Good one :-)
    I'm a big fan of Koalas, they seem to be relaxed little fellows just hanging around. Haven't seen one in real life yet.
    I believe "Captain Koala" is an old, forgotten Australian comic book series?
    Man I forgot all about that. Indeed you are correct, many years ago that was indeed a popular comic book series.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

WELCOME TO THE PIPE SIDE OF PUFF!!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Thank you! Metheny is indeed good stuff, and has been a favorite for many years :-) I'll probably never get over the album "Bright Size Life", and I also like the "newer" sound on Metheny Groups "Speaking of now".
    Oh, yeah! Bright Size Life is a killer!

Funny (or sad!) story: The first jazz LP I bought was Metheny's As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls, back in '81. I decided that maybe rock wasn't the only music out there, so I decided to check out jazz. I went into a record store and asked for advice, and they recommended one artist as THE place to go for jazz, so I grabbed one of his LPs, and then grabbed one by a name I thought I recognized. This was the last time I EVER asked for jazz advice in a record store; the recommended artist was Kenny G (I have no idea which one; I buried it in the back yard). Fortunately, the one I thought I'd heard of was Coltrane's My Favorite Things, so it all worked out in the end...
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Funny (or sad!) story: The first jazz LP I bought was Metheny's As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls, back in '81. I decided that maybe rock wasn't the only music out there, so I decided to check out jazz. I went into a record store and asked for advice, and they recommended one artist as THE place to go for jazz, so I grabbed one of his LPs, and then grabbed one by a name I thought I recognized. This was the last time I EVER asked for jazz advice in a record store; the recommended artist was Kenny G (I have no idea which one; I buried it in the back yard). Fortunately, the one I thought I'd heard of was Coltrane's My Favorite Things, so it all worked out in the end...
    Hah! This story actually made me laugh out loud :-)

Kenny G is one of the biggest mysteries of modern jazz music. Cheesy as hell (he once made a music video where he plays a cover song in front of an airplane), yet he has won a grammy and is possibly the biggest selling instrumental artist of our time (over 70 million records sold worldwide). Why?! Damn you, smooth jazz!

Pipe-wise, I started off with a Lorenzo bent Spitfire briar pipe, which I really like...
    I just had a search for Lorenzo pipes and found that they do still exist (no surprise to you, I'm sure). They don't however seem to be finished in orange, although that may be that it doesn't show up on the publicity images. The glowing orange was a trademark as was the fact that many were made mostly of putty. They did have interesting shapes and smoke rather well.

When you are able, please do post a picture.

Here are mine (more orange in real life...) You can see one big fill quite distinctly. There are larger ones on them...

Name:  DSCF6272.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  110.7 KB
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Welcome to Puff, Frank, and to the wonderful world of pipes! I started the pipe this year and love it!

Thanks for the geography lesson; most Americans would have trouble finding Texas! No worries about your English, which is great. We often need an English-English translation from our UK compadres, and well, for most Americans, their English is a second language as most seem to graduate high school without the ability to write, much less speak. Fortunately, you will not find them in the "pipe pond," with the exception of myself.

There is a baccy trade, and some participation internationally, for a great selection of baccy to try before you buy, sign up (or just follow - great reading) for the NST for pipe (read post #1 ):  
    Newbie Sampler Trade for Pipes

Saunter into one of the pipe lounges; anytime, day or night!  Share what you're smoking, doing or just thinking.  Great group of guys that really gave me a great education, fast!
    Morning:  Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread
    Afternoon:  The Afternoon Smoke Break
    Tonight:  Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES

Also, if you order from the USA 4noggins as some do, use the discount code - facebook - anytime for a 10% discount.

No longer a community member.

to Puff! It's great when we get members from abroad who can fill us in on how the rest of the world enjoys their tobacco hobbies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast