Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

My introduction post, aka Hello.

This is a discussion on My introduction post, aka Hello. within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hello, just figured I should make my first post introducing myself. My names CK but I use Badmagic for most ...

Smile My introduction post, aka Hello.

Hello, just figured I should make my first post introducing myself.

My names CK but I use Badmagic for most online communities (usually "gaming" but not gambling related). I'm from the outskirts of Glasgow (currently relatively near Kirkintilloch) in Scotland/UK and have been a cigarette tobacco smoker for around 18 years or so with occasional dalliances into cigars during celebrations and holiday events, in the last week however, and I'm still not able to follow how I came to the decision, I've for some reason decided to take up the pipe.

I'm horribly new to it all never really realizing that many see the pipe as more of a hobbyist interest over simply a tool for tobacco and nicotine which has been dawning on me the more I have been reading (also watching on the likes of youtube) about the subject. I'm happy to say I'm seeing it both ways now, from my cigarette background I can appreciate the longer and more gradual pleasurable hits the pipe delivers while also taking the appropriate time to take note of the subtle tastes, scents and tactile feelings from the pipe smoking process.

As I say, I'm painfully inexperienced in my knowledge of pipes, practices and tobacco blends but I am making a concentrated effort to learn and grow my experience. I've started by purchasing a total of four pipes to be used with adequate resting periods, originally I only intended to get two or three but one I choose specifically on recommendation was a medium value Peterson but I've been left sorely disappointed by the quality of the pipe when a much lower valued "Adsorba" I purchased at the same time is of a similar quality of finish and simply a better smoker.

Anyhoo, it may well just be bad luck on my part but I'll certainly be a bit more picky when looking at Petersons in the future. At this point I took a chance on a lovely looking and reasonably priced "Aldo Morelli", all I can say is I'm so impressed by the Morelli since it arrived a few days ago that I've added another in my current tobacco order of a slightly different style and finish bring me up to four to use in rotation, it may seem a little bit overkill for a newcomer but I never did anything by halves and as a traditional cigarette smoker waiting for pipes to rest gets old, real old.

Trying to find advice on tobacco blends for a newcomer was a bit of a nightmare frankly, most places I can find online discussing such things seem to talk about brands that are only easily available in the US, after a fair amount of digging however I've picked up a couple to test my palette with, the first being a very often recommended "Mac Baren Vanilla Cream" aromatic.

While I won't deny my initial impressions are that it is lovely and leaves a very pleasant room note I am slightly shocked at just how 'sweet' the tobacco is, certainly as an aromatic I expected as such but certainly not to this extent.

I've also tried a couple of over the counter big named brands one of which was frankly unpleasant where the second was acceptable in a pinch but a bit bland, I'll omit their names to protect the innocent, or should I say guilty.

As the initial outlay as a new pipe smoker is relatively expensive, for my budget at any rate, I've limited my next order that is currently on its way to me as some more "Mac Baren Vanilla Cream" as despite its sweetness it does offer me something unique I would undoubtedly miss when absent from choice.

I've also included a touch of the "Mac Baren" branded "Aromatic Choice", additionally some "Squadron Leader" from "Samuel Gawith" and last but not least a dash of "Pure Black Cavendish" also from "Samuel Gawith", the intent being to use it in potentially cutting some of the sweetness/spice from other blends I try until I'm not buying next to blind.

Anyway, I guess that should be enough of me waffling on to get started for an introduction.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes brimy623's Avatar

Re: My introduction post, aka Hello.

Welcome CK!
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail!!!

Welcome to Puff!

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Welcome! You have a good start going there!

Welcome to the board, CK. You're not the first to voice that reaction to Peterson pipes, and I have to admit, I've avoided them because of that.
    ********.com

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Full grown Puffer Fish LewZephyr's Avatar

Welcome to the slope.

Thanks for the warm welcome all

No longer a community member.

to the forums, CK, and thanks for the great intro! You can count me as the third who is wary of Petersons. I would invest in a nice estate if given the opportunity, but generally I question the quality versus the pricepoint when they seem to churn out so many