Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

interested in dabbling with pipe baccy

This is a discussion on interested in dabbling with pipe baccy within the New Piper Fish Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hey folks, new to this side of the forums. Just curious about pipes, have had no experience before but thought ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish zabhatton's Avatar

interested in dabbling with pipe baccy

Hey folks, new to this side of the forums.

Just curious about pipes, have had no experience before but thought I'd try it.

I'm gonna go with a cheap cob pipe in case I don't like the hobby altogether. But in terms of tobacco I want to sample a variety before I make more substantial purchases.

I was wondering if there was an online merchant who sells samples that can ship to Canada. Also I'd like some recommendations.

In terms of cigars I like the fuller bodied ones that have a little sweetness and complexity like conn broadleaf.

I'm gonna try the dunhill nightcap, and squadron leader just because they're so popular but I'd like some more recommendations.

Thanks guys.
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA BUDDAAAY

Re: interested in dabbling with pipe baccy

Welcome!
    Dr. Grabow has some nice, inexpensive pipes as well. I've got a couple, along with an assortment of Missouri Meerschaum seconds (10 for $30)

Disinterested

Smart moves, Johnny. For me personally, I don't think expensive briars smoke any better, or even as well in most cases, than a $5 MM cob. That said, the stems on them are absolutely horrible and utterly annoying. Once you get up and running, get yourself a Forever Stem from Walker Briar Works. They make all the difference in the world and turn an absolutely miserable experience into something you can't get enough of.

I'm a big fan of Squadron Leader and I also love me some Stonehaven. It doesn't sound like your cup 'o tea, however, if you're looking for strength. Stoney is pretty mellow, but very complex. I'm definitely not the guy to ask about blends, though, but if you can get with @Tobias Lutz , he's got the most diverse cellar I know of and he's both a trained chef and a big cigar guy. I've often remarked at how well he can nail comparisons, between the two.
    Last edited by Herf N Turf; 06-26-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

You MUST try Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired.
    It's fairly strong, inexpensive (in the 1 lb box) and the taste is most pleasant.
    You may also enjoy 1792 flake.

Welcome to the pipe side!
    there is no folly of the beast of the earth which is not infinitely outdone by the madness of men

No longer a community member.

Damn, Johnny! If I would have know you were about to play around with pipe tobacco the "fragile glassware" I shipped you yesterday morning would have hit you hard enough to file a disability claim I second Zurgs Old Dark Fired flake recommendation. I'm a huge fan of most Dan blends (especially Sweet Vanilla Honey Dew and Blue Note), anything from Dunhill is a safe bet, Bob's Chocolate Flake and McClelland Drama Reserve also top my lists. I'm not sure who ships to mooseland but you know how to reach me if you ever need help locating more glassware

+1 on the Old Dark Fired. Really enjoy Peterson's Perfect Plug. Not much but baccy flavor, but smooth & delivers some nicotine. Dunhill Nightcap is great. Peter Stokkebye' s Bullseye Flake. So many great tobacco out there. UPS just dropped off a huge box. I need to wait till tomorrow before sampling.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish zabhatton's Avatar

Thanks a lot guys for the input, I've gotta find an online vendor so I can satisfy my curiosity.

Toby, thanks bro. I'm sure the package on the way will blow me away regardless. If I can't get an online vendor I'll deffinately hit you up.

Don, I love your eloquently written pieces of knowledge. Your writing style does great justice to your knowledge about tobacco products. By the way, I'm deeply sorry about your companion. I cannot fathom what you went through and offer my condolences.
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA BUDDAAAY

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zabhatton View Post
    Hey folks, new to this side of the forums.

Just curious about pipes, have had no experience before but thought I'd try it.

I'm gonna go with a cheap cob pipe in case I don't like the hobby altogether. But in terms of tobacco I want to sample a variety before I make more substantial purchases.

I was wondering if there was an online merchant who sells samples that can ship to Canada. Also I'd like some recommendations.

In terms of cigars I like the fuller bodied ones that have a little sweetness and complexity like conn broadleaf.

I'm gonna try the dunhill nightcap, and squadron leader just because they're so popular but I'd like some more recommendations.

Thanks guys.
    Welcome to the pipe side of puff!
    Cobs are great and cheap you can get a good briar down the road. Although many just smoke cobs its really a personal preference.
    I gave the hobby a try didn't care for it , i hope you fair better!
    Peace bro!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish penna stogey's Avatar

Welcome to the Puff and enjoy the smoke. P-S
    Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

Hey Zab, your inbox is full. You can reach me at beercritic@windstream.net
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.