Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Newbie Mistakes and Suggestions courtesy of a Newb!

This is a discussion on Newbie Mistakes and Suggestions courtesy of a Newb! within the New Puffer Fish Forum forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; This thread is why I decided to stop lurking and actually register as a member of the forum. Expert advice ...

Re: Newbie Mistakes and Suggestions courtesy of a Newb!

This thread is why I decided to stop lurking and actually register as a member of the forum. Expert advice from friendly folks who want to advance the hobby and help mold even more cigar smokers with good, community based ethics. What's not to like about that?

KiK

Thanks to Donovan for this thread. Boo on me for not inhaling more of the "stickies" in the Noob corner prior to reaching over the 5er to an even 10 of a flavored stick many seem to enjoy. While mine is not a review post here (too new for that), it just props up what Donovan and his mentors have tried to inform folks like me for a better cigar experience overall with this thread. No lesson learned like the lesson learned the hard way.

The cold let up a bit tonight in the BlueGrass with a warming trend on the way for a day or so. I have a very quiet corner of the porch that goes well with my resurrected urges for a good cigar. Clouds clearing and a few bright stars in the dark sky, I took my place and toasted the business end of a new one to me that I have heard a lot of buzz about. Figuring I thoroughly enjoyed a few Helix Remix Amarettos in the Corona vitola and had a fabulous experience with a Tabak Especial Dolce Toro, I thought my awakening cigar druthers might enjoy another along the lines of flavor. Shoulda got in here and read this thread through before getting click happy on the auction. My apologies to anyone I may have been bidding against & depriving them from getting this 10 pack that evening. But that's another story, another day. If I'd paid attention, I 'd only have 4 of these unsmoke-ables instead of the 9 about to find a new place to rest. Drew done good on that Dulce Toro but tonight I feel like I've been gargling Old Spice and it's hard to get that off my mind...and lips.

For the most part, I guess I got lucky thus far without knowing this good advice was right before my eyes here on Puff. Not that Mom & Dad didn't give up a little common sense along the way, but a guy gets eager to fill that humi. I've had all good cigar experiences except this one tonight. I found a solid daily favorite of mine in a Gran Habano # 1 by testing the different waters. But, in my younger days, if I had never dated a bad girl or 2...or 3...I would never have known how good a good girl was. And to keep that analogy going, good money spent on a good girl was never wasted but I wasted a lot of good money on badduns. While I never had to take notes on those bad girls, or the good ones for that matter, I have been keeping track of my sticks. Old guys tend to forget stuff and the gals were easy to remember cause they were simpler...my cigars are more complex.

Thanks, DonovanRichardson and the Puff community. Lotsa good info if one would only read and apply.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Nice to see the thread still up and running!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

The US contingent here are all mad they can't buy CC's like me. I, as a UK reader, am mad you can buy decent sticks here for under $4!

C'est la vie. Great advice... althoug I don't buy a box at a time as its £250! Even a 5 pack is £100!

Great place, and looking forward to learning and appreciating better!

KiK

Timeless advice, TonyB. A year old thread but will apply well for those that read and heed. It served it's purpose for me and I identified with so many of Donovans observations.

I often buy samplers of whatever looks good from CI. I find it helpful to try different types...you almost always get a dog or two, but I think thats to be expected from any business. All in all it has been a good way for me to try different things. Five-ers are great too...I just got three in the other day.

Great thread. Thanks.

Gio

This is a must read for all cigar smokers, new or advance. Thank you for taking the time to post all this good information!

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    This is a must read for all cigar smokers, new or advance. Thank you for taking the time to post all this good information!
    +1 - excellent advice for us newbs

Newbie in the ocean

Thanks for the suggestion jtmass, I'm going to start trying this method

Young Puffer Fish

Great post, I've definately made some of those mistakes, but I like to think that I learned from some of them. I've also had some great teachers in the cigar world, and am definately greatful for their knowledge. Again, great info.

Lurker come out to play tatubom1's Avatar

I wish I read this when i first started out and woulda done what you advice. I always thought the log thing was kinda silly for some one just smoking for the enjoyment, but now i wish i did one. I took a year and a half brake when i quit smoking cigs, didnt want to slide back in to them, now i dont remember which ones i really enjoyed. The up side to that brake though is some of the ones i didnt like, that i do remember, aged really well while others went past their prime. The point i am trying to get across is that thou that sampaler may have some sub par sticks in it they could age well but dont let good sticks age past their prime, and keep a log you never know when you will take an extended brake.

Great advice to always keep in mind. Thank you for the great post.

I've made many of these mistakes. Great Post for a noob like myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Easy View Post
    Great advice. I wish I would have been smart enough to look around for an online community sooner. I've been smoking for about a year now and this is great advise. Just about every point on here is something I learned the hard way. I've been keeping a journal of the sticks that I smoke and one thing that I would add is if you are new try to find a template to help you. The sheet I use is found on Stogie Review and is one that a friend passed along to me and helped me to establish a flow to my reviews. This isn't the only one out there so if you don't like the format look around until you find a format you like.

Good smoking!
    Joshua, I found a Word template at Microsoft and used it until I made it in Excel so I could modify it easier. My biggest problem is actually staying focused enough to complete one every time I smoke. I can't remember if I can attach a file yet but I am going to try. If it isn't here it means I am not worthy yet. I guess I can only post pics, so I will have to wait....In the meantime if someone wants it, I guess they can PM me?

Puffer Fish with some spikes Salty's Avatar

Great advice OP. As a newbie, this is really good and affirming info. I sold wine for years, and I regularly told my customers that if they want to learn about wine, then read, drink, talk to others, go to wine tastings....but in the end, you like what you like. Interesting to be on the other end of that experience now. I want to smoke everything and know everything immediately. Gotta remind myself to take it slow and enjoy the learning curve. Good luck to you.

Puffer Fish with some spikes john37's Avatar

read this thread a month too late
    good thing is i have friends that smoke that i can unload stuff on

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast