Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tips for New Members

This is a discussion on Tips for New Members within the New Puffer Fish Forum forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; This list was compiled, from input by many members of our forum, over 5 years ago. (and it's been hiding ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Tips for New Members

This list was compiled, from input by many members of our forum, over 5 years ago. (and it's been hiding in a sticky for a long time).
    The message still stands the test of time.

Tips For New Members

-Read the information you were provided when you registered.
    -Read the Stickies. Pay particular attention to the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums FAQ, FAQs, General Rules for Puff - PLEASE READ!.
    -Start your stay at Puff by posting an introduction of yourself in the New Puffer Fish Forum. This is the first step in letting people get to know you.
    -Don't ask about where to get Cuban cigars or discuss vendor practices in the forums.
    -There is so much info here. Take the time to read old threads. When reading older threads, try and get a feel for the personalities of the members.
    -Take the time to get together with fellow members whenever you have the opportunity. Online is cool. Face to face rocks. If you have a camera, bring it along.
    -Pay It Forward is a lifestyle not just a term.
    -Don't be afraid of posting a review on whatever you are smoking. You might be surprised at the reaction.
    -Do not let other's reviews and opinions influence your opinion of what you smoke.
    -Some helpful things to know:How to: Report a Post, Give Trader Feedback, and Give Reputation Points (RG).
    -Visit Cigar Information, Cigar Reviews, Cigar Articles for Beginners and Experts for some great unbiased reviews
    -It is OK to simply read a thread that appears to be heading south, and have the willpower NOT to post to that thread. Posting to such a thread when you don't know the members or the personalities involved can turn a debate between willing parties into a flame war.
    -If you're not sure whether it's appropriate to post something ...wait...you can PM a moderator or a person you feel comfortable with first. Someone should be willing to help.
    -If you have an issue with someone, take it up with them the PM route.
    -Try not to be a post whore right off the bat.
    -Buy your humidor 4 times bigger than you think you will need and buy some beads.
    -Take the time to learn and understand the nuances of the advanced search option in this forum.
    -If you receive a package (trade, bomb, sale, PIF), send a “thank you” private message (PM) to the sender.
    -Hit the Reply w/Quote button only when quoting the message is pertinent to what you are posting. Otherwise just hit Post Reply. When quoting another Puffer, it's not always necessary to quote their entire post--especially if it's particularly long, or it contains numerous photos. When appropriate, chop the quote down to isolate the part that's relevant to what you intend to say.
    -If you post a link to something that may be inappropriate for people to see at work...use NSFW in the thread title or post.
    -Respect is something you earn. If you take your time and get involved, you'll find that Puff is a wonderful thing.
    -To make friends, be a friend.
    -Feel free to ask questions.
    -Be patient.
    -Be humble.
    -Enjoy yourself.

A final thought:

"Respect is earned. Many, if not most, people who join Puff do so because of the wealth of information found here. That wealth was forged over time by generous, experienced people. They have earned respect by simply building this place. As newcomers, we have the burden of offering respect first and hoping for its return second. And it's a bit unfair to newcomers, maybe, especially those who already know a bit about the hobby. And sometimes FOGs abuse their perceived privilege. And nothing is perfect. If Puff were perfect, it would stop being perfect when the second member joined". Tritones (Mike)

Feel free to add any other relevant comments.
    Last edited by Blaylock; 12-15-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Re: Tips for New Members

Quote Originally Posted by Blaylock View Post
    This list was compiled, from input by many members of our forum, over 5 years ago. (and it's been hiding in a sticky for a long time).
    The message still stands the test of time.

Tips For New Members

-Read the information you were provided when you registered.
    -Read the Stickies. Pay particular attention to the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums FAQ, FAQs, General Rules for Puff - PLEASE READ!.
    -Start your stay at Puff by posting an introduction of yourself in the New Puffer Fish Forum. This is the first step in letting people get to know you.
    -Don't ask about where to get Cuban cigars or discuss vendor practices in the forums.
    -There is so much info here. Take the time to read old threads. When reading older threads, try and get a feel for the personalities of the members.
    -Take the time to get together with fellow members whenever you have the opportunity. Online is cool. Face to face rocks. If you have a camera, bring it along.
    -Pay It Forward is a lifestyle not just a term.
    -Don't be afraid of posting a review on whatever you are smoking. You might be surprised at the reaction.
    -Do not let other's reviews and opinions influence your opinion of what you smoke.
    -Some helpful things to know: How to: Report a Post, Give Trader Feedback, and Give Reputation Points (RG).
    -Visit Cigar Information, Cigar Reviews, Cigar Articles for Beginners and Experts for some great unbiased reviews
    -It is OK to simply read a thread that appears to be heading south, and have the willpower NOT to post to that thread. Posting to such a thread when you don't know the members or the personalities involved can turn a debate between willing parties into a flame war.
    -If you're not sure whether it's appropriate to post something ...wait...you can PM a moderator or a person you feel comfortable with first. Someone should be willing to help.
    -If you have an issue with someone, take it up with them the PM route.
    -Try not to be a post whore right off the bat.
    -Buy your humidor 4 times bigger than you think you will need and buy some beads.
    -Take the time to learn and understand the nuances of the advanced search option in this forum.
    -If you receive a package (trade, bomb, sale, PIF), send a “thank you” private message (PM) to the sender.
    -Hit the Reply w/Quote button only when quoting the message is pertinent to what you are posting. Otherwise just hit Post Reply. When quoting another Puffer, it's not always necessary to quote their entire post--especially if it's particularly long, or it contains numerous photos. When appropriate, chop the quote down to isolate the part that's relevant to what you intend to say.
    -If you post a link to something that may be inappropriate for people to see at work...use NSFW in the thread title or post.
    -Respect is something you earn. If you take your time and get involved, you'll find that Puff is a wonderful thing.
    -To make friends, be a friend.
    -Feel free to ask questions.
    -Be patient.
    -Be humble.
    -Enjoy yourself.

Feel free to add any other relevant comments.
    Great post Dave. Only one I would disagree with:
    -Buy your humidor 20 times bigger than you think you will need and buy some beads and then go get coolers!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Can't understand why the 'coolidor' wasn't mentioned, Eric.
    "20 times"...that seems like a better suggestion.

Maturing Puffer Fish samiam2007's Avatar

So I see where to leave cigar reviews, but not wine or beer ones. Where should I go?

Quote Originally Posted by samiam2007 View Post
    So I see where to leave cigar reviews, but not wine or beer ones. Where should I go?
    They usually just get thrown here: Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum

Thanks for bring this up. I may even include a link to this thread as I welcome the new folks.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Something that I wish I had seen as a newb: You really do NOT have to bomb people to be accepted around here. You will see all sorts of very generous gifts being sent back and forth across the country or even world, but keep in mind that many of these are between people who have been friends for YEARS. As a newb you shouldn't feel that you have to start sending bottles of Scotch or handfuls of expensive cigars to anyone and everyone.

I felt a little intimidated by it at first, but realized that no one expects you to bomb anyone.

As a counterpoint, DO NOT expect or ask to be bombed. Very poor form. If you're a contributing member who manages to make some friends, it will happen (or it won't).
    “When truth is replaced by silence,the silence is a lie.” Yevgeny Yevtushenko

Puffer Fish with many spikes johnb's Avatar

While talking about bombing, remember that a bomb is a gift and booming people to get bombed in return is also poor form

Quote Originally Posted by Cmdio View Post
    Something that I wish I had seen as a newb: You really do NOT have to bomb people to be accepted around here. You will see all sorts of very generous gifts being sent back and forth across the country or even world, but keep in mind that many of these are between people who have been friends for YEARS. As a newb you shouldn't feel that you have to start sending bottles of Scotch or handfuls of expensive cigars to anyone and everyone.

I felt a little intimidated by it at first, but realized that no one expects you to bomb anyone.

As a counterpoint, DO NOT expect or ask to be bombed. Very poor form. If you're a contributing member who manages to make some friends, it will happen (or it won't).

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    While talking about bombing, remember that a bomb is a gift and booming people to get bombed in return is also poor form
    Very, very true! First and foremost this is a place for people that share the same hobby/obsession. Learn, explore and get to know people first.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Cmdio View Post
    You really do NOT have to bomb people to be accepted around here...As a newb you shouldn't feel that you have to start sending bottles of Scotch or handfuls of expensive cigars to anyone and everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by piperdown View Post
    Very, very true! First and foremost this is a place for people that share the same hobby/obsession. Learn, explore and get to know people first.
    Excellent points!

There's alot more bombing going on, in the forum, than there was 5 years ago. That's fine, but no one should ever feel "intimidated" or that they need to bomb people in order to be accepted here. There are so many examples of ways that member's contribute to this forum other than sending bombs.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blaylock View Post
    Excellent points!

There's alot more bombing going on, in the forum, than there was 5 years ago. That's fine, but no one should ever feel "intimidated" or that they need to bomb people in order to be accepted here. There are so many examples of ways that member's contribute to this forum other than sending bombs.
    Yes i agree to bomb someone should be a pleasure a privilege but never a requirement!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Had this not been recently posted, I don't think I would have seen it. Thanks for the info!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Bump.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Arizona Dave's Avatar

This is good info to know.......

Young Fish

Good Info.! Ready to meet some new folks and learn some stuff about my new love for pipes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast