Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Noob Mistake Thread

This is a discussion on Noob Mistake Thread within the New Puffer Fish Forum forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I pretty regularly smoke on an empty stomach as I am trying to get back to my fighting weight (JK, ...

Re: Noob Mistake Thread

I pretty regularly smoke on an empty stomach as I am trying to get back to my fighting weight (JK, I'm a lover, not a fighter), so I usually skip dinner or have a very small one, and smoke in the evenings usually. Therefore I generally gravitate toward the lighter end of the spectrum.

But once I had a Tatuaje (my first and only one so far, not sure when I'll be able to face one again) on an empty stomach and I could barely stand up! It was literally 3 days before I didn't feel over-nicotined.

Young Fish

been there done that...

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by B-daddy View Post
    I've pulled that move before. Throw in too much sun and it's a nasty feeling.

How about this one? Not so much a newb mistake, as a drunk mistake. I've put my cigar down, picked it up and popped the wrong end in my mouth. Nasty burn; horrible taste; and waste of a good cigar (not much interest in finishing it).
    been there done that...

Newbie in the ocean

Yep, It seems like I have done just about all these as well....

Lighting a cigar with a cigarette lighter/candle lighter/ stove top...pretty much anything that I could get my hands on...

Torching the hell out of my cigar with a torch lighter

Smoking a cigar like I was in a race

not paying attention to the cap when cutting and having the cigar pretty much unravel

If there is a dumbass noobie thing to do I have pretty much done it!

Young Puffer Fish Multislacking's Avatar

Well, if smelling before buying is a noob thing to do, call me a noob. But I have to agree with what's been said...as long as I'm not sticking it *up* my nose, I don't see a problem giving one a whiff at a couple of inches distance. I wouldn't buy a piece of fruit before I'd looked it over, or a car before I test drove it (oh, if only you could test drive cigars!). Besides, a lot of cigars are individually wrapped. You can get a hint, without feeling like you're leaving germs on it. And if it's not in celo, then handling it by the ring shouldn't be too offensive for most. Unless there are more guys scratching themselves and then walking in to the humidor and handling every box, and I just don't know it. And I'm a pretty big germaphobe. But just like buying produce, I expect stuff to have been handled *some* before it ever reaches my mouth. Especially melons...everybody has picked those things up, thumped them a couple of times, stuck their face in them...

Quote Originally Posted by Multislacking View Post
    (oh, if only you could test drive cigars!)
    You sort of can - samplers. I'm still climbing the learning curve and am not sure if there's a top to it. I usually get a sampler of some kind as part of my CI and CB orders. And I pretty much never buy more than 5 or 10 at a time of anything.

The nice folks at my B&M encouraged me to smell their sticks my first time in their walk-in humidor. But then, the salesman was teaching me about the different types and smelling a Claro vs Maduro was helpful. Also, we were standing in front of their house bled sticks, not the more expensive name brands.
    I know I'm pretty new and have an as yet defined pallet, but I enjoyed those house blend smokes as much as the G2 and Cohiba Red Dot I've tried. Although I could also tell there was a lot more to the name brands than I could discern. I've seen a few disparaging remarks about hose blend cigars here and there, and I suspect these are a different animal entirely...

This thread is fantastic. A lot of amazing tips for a newbie to nose through.

My noob mistakes-

Chewing off the cap instead of using cutters. The thing unraveled halfway though.
    Buying a Churchill thinking that I'd be able to finish it quickly. Had to toss it.
    Smoking on an empty stomach. Never again!
    Paying for a cigar without going home and looking online. I realized that $10 at my local shop was only $5 with shipping online.

Puffer Fish with many spikes A.McSmoke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneDog View Post
    This thread is fantastic. A lot of amazing tips for a newbie to nose through.

My noob mistakes-

Chewing off the cap instead of using cutters. The thing unraveled halfway though.
    Let me guess...you got that from Hannibal on the A-Team? LoL

If only I was so bold! I nibbled around the cap until it peeled away. Learned my lesson and promptly bought a cutter for the car.

Puffer Fish with some spikes lbiislander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Saw a Noob B&M ettiquite fail....

Lesson number one when in a cigar retail store...NEVER try to walk into the humidor with a lit stick!!! Luckily the owner stopped him just as he opened the door.
    I almost did this several years ago when I went to a new shop with a walk-in humidor. Up to that point, I had never been in a shop that had a smoking lounge AND a walk-in.
    Frequently wrong but never in doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by lbiislander View Post
    I almost did this several years ago when I went to a new shop with a walk-in humidor. Up to that point, I had never been in a shop that had a smoking lounge AND a walk-in.
    I wouldn't do this myself, but in one of my local B&Ms (VA Tobacco, Potomac Mills), I've seen the staff walk around their walk-in humi with lit sticks. I was really surprised the first time I saw this.

I didn't know anything about cutting or RH, so I used to have plenty a stick break up and get all over my mouth. Glad to have Puff.

Puffer Fish with some spikes lbiislander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arcanealso View Post
    I didn't know anything about cutting or RH, so I used to have plenty a stick break up and get all over my mouth. Glad to have Puff.
    Too many movies show guys chewing on the end of their cigars. I see lots of noobs (golf course, tailgating parties, etc) ripping the $h!+ out of their sticks!
    Frequently wrong but never in doubt!

Great thread to read as far as what NOT to do

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast