Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Noob Mistake Thread

This is a discussion on Noob Mistake Thread within the New Puffer Fish Forum forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Dear fellow Noobs; I thought Id start a Noob mistake thread here in the noob section where we can share ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes Isaac's Avatar

Noob Mistake Thread

Dear fellow Noobs;

I thought Id start a Noob mistake thread here in the noob section where we can share our mistakes and what we learned from them. hopefully this will be deemed "Sticky worthy". So before you ask a question in the general forum about "what went wrong?", you can check here first. I think we can learn alot without having to clog up the general discussion forum with the same noob questions OVER and Over again......actually maybe this would make a good sub-forum? I'll share the first stupid mistake in the next post.

Try to follow the format of:
    Topic,
    Your experience,
    What you learned.

If a specific BOTL (Brother Of The Leaf)gave you particularly good advice, give them a shout out!
    Last edited by Isaac; 01-11-2013 at 09:03 AM.
    This party never started and will never end, it has always been and will always be.

Re: Noob Mistake Thread

Smoking on an empty stomach is a BAD idea.

A few weeks agou I was LOVING a FLD Double Ligero (my strongest stick so far) while working in my woodshop. Toward the end and about the time I had to get ready to go to work for a long night shift, I came down with the worst case of Nicotine OD I've had yet. Never being a smoker before getting into cigars, I didn't think about the increased potency on an empty stomach. And the 3 cups of black coffee I was drinking didn't help.

What I learned from the BOTL's, Never smoke (especially something that strong) on an empty stomach. Drinking something sweet seems to help.

I hope this gives a good start to the thread and we can all learn alot from each other in addition to what we learn from our BBOTL's (Big Brothers Of The Leaf)
    This party never started and will never end, it has always been and will always be.

Maturing Puffer Fish davidg1977's Avatar

before you post on MAW, PIF, and bombs make sure you read the rules before hand i made this mistake already hope this helps someone

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Smoking on an empty stomach is a BAD idea.

A few weeks agou I was LOVING a FLD Double Ligero (my strongest stick so far) while working in my woodshop. Toward the end and about the time I had to get ready to go to work for a long night shift, I came down with the worst case of Nicotine OD I've had yet. Never being a smoker before getting into cigars, I didn't think about the increased potency on an empty stomach. And the 3 cups of black coffee I was drinking didn't help.

What I learned from the BOTL's, Never smoke (especially something that strong) on an empty stomach. Drinking something sweet seems to help.

I hope this gives a good start to the thread and we can all learn alot from each other in addition to what we learn from our BBOTL's (Big Brothers Of The Leaf)
    Sugar is your friend for vitamin n od. Keep some mexican coke (real sugar) on hand.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten" - Benjamin Franklin.

I'm totally serious, dude B-daddy's Avatar

I've pulled that move before. Throw in too much sun and it's a nasty feeling.

How about this one? Not so much a newb mistake, as a drunk mistake. I've put my cigar down, picked it up and popped the wrong end in my mouth. Nasty burn; horrible taste; and waste of a good cigar (not much interest in finishing it).

Quote Originally Posted by bhelmlinger View Post
    I've pulled that move before. Throw in too much sun and it's a nasty feeling.

How about this one? Not so much a newb mistake, as a drunk mistake. I've put my cigar down, picked it up and popped the wrong end in my mouth. Nasty burn; horrible taste; and waste of a good cigar (not much interest in finishing it).
    Been there.

Quote Originally Posted by durbs View Post
    Sugar is your friend for vitamin n od. Keep some mexican coke (real sugar) on hand.
    Mexican Coca-cola (thought Id clarify which coke you meant ) might be the ticket. You know us ATL guys and our Coca-cola! Have to head to Buford Highway to stock up.

Disinterested

What a great idea, Isaac!

32yrs into the sport, but I can still recall a few noob mistakes. Number one has to be smoking too fast. I did it to the first several cigars I smoked. One day, a seasoned FOG took me aside and chastised me. He taught be that I should only draw one puff series per minute. He taught me to grasp the cigar a half inch behind the burn line and, if it was uncomfortably hot, I was smoking too fast. It was like a brand new mouse trap!

"Slow down, you'll get a more harmonious outcome" -Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

I cross quoted this from the General Threads....

Quote Originally Posted by timot_one View Post
    Sadly, I've made this mistake myself.

A mistake that I have not made, but have read someone else did, was putting a half smoked cigar in their humidor.
    Good lesson....bet the rest of the sticks tasted like soggy ash after that!

This is a great thread, RG for you Sir!

Subscribed to this for two reasons...
    1 - to help prevent some from making the same mistakes that I did...
    2 - to laugh at those that made the same mistakes that I did!

Suggestion...
    If you ever smoke outside in the dark, while consuming large amounts of Crown Royal,
    don't forget to take the band off your cigar...
    Ever wonder if the wrapper really affects flavor? Try smoking the band!
    Wrap Your Ass in Fiberglass
    Drive a VETTE

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Good lesson....bet the rest of the sticks tasted like soggy ash after that!
    A lot of people's opinions were that he ruined his humidor by doing that. I'm glad it wasn't a mistake I made.

Quote Originally Posted by Otto von Bismarck
    Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Puffer Fish with some spikes ATCarp's Avatar

last night I singed my left eyelashes while relighting one of my cigars.....................don't let the flame get too close to you.

Smoking too fast leads to burn problems, and can make the stick taste weird. Since it's pretty cold outside, i have a greater tendency to puff faster.

Sometimes I still have to consciously pause, let the stick settle for a bit (30-60 seconds), then puff again. I even find some sticks like to be puffed at different rates. The flavor of the cigar will sometimes change, and burn problems i'm having will resolve themselves, too.
    Are you a Puff noob or veteran? Join the Noobie Sampler Trade!
    Canadian? Try the Canadian Noob PIF v2.0

My noob mistakes were:

-Buying a couple small humidors instead of going with a tupperdor at first
    -Assuming the analog hygromter on my cheap humidors were accurate instead of buying a digital hygrometer and calibrating. One was 3-5% off, but the other anaolog was 15% off.

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast